Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

3 Posts

September 5th, 2021 09:00

SA, download older version?

Is there a way to download an older version of SA (SupportAssist)?

It was running fine a couple of weeks ago, passing all tests, but when running it again recently it automatically downloaded a new version (3.10.3) and now it locks up my whole XPS system just a little after running for 1 minute while doing the address test.

I have to reboot the PC to recover.

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

September 5th, 2021 11:00

Since supportassist uses an onsite installer, no it's possible to downgrade (by customer) 

However, In one of my older posts in this Forum, Dell SupportAssist Developer had informed me that MSI and MSP files for SupportAssist can be obtained from Dell technical support. If you have warranty call them and they should be able to downgrade. 

Now speaking about your issue, are you getting a Bluescreen while running supportassist. I am using SA with XPS 8940/8930 with no issues. 

In case you wanna fix it by yourself. 

Follow this Guide from start to end do not miss any steps 

You may find that a few thing I am recommending to delete are already deleted from your computer so skip those steps.  

1 Use Microsoft's Installer : 

This step is crucial as Microsoft's uninstaller disables the services as well. Choose SupportAssist and uninstall, Uninstall Dell updates by running the the uninstaller again. If Support Assist doesn't show in List ignore this step. 

Reboot (important) 

1. Delete following folders and ignore the once which are already deleted. 

C:/ Program Data/ PCDR 

C:/ Program Data/Supportassist 

C:/ Program Data/Dell/Dell data volt 

C:/ Program Files/ Dell/Supportassist 

C:/ Program Files/ Dell/ Dell data Volt 

C:/ windows/Temp (everything inside the folder 

Remove these Registries 

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services key.

Delete Dell hardware service, Delete Dell client management service, Delete Dell updates. 

Open device manager > system devices : If you see 2 Dell dala volt devices, please uninstall the second one. 

Reboot 

install SupportAssistv

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 5th, 2021 16:00

@klklklkl  - Always include the exact PC model in your posts.

Sometimes it better to uninstall an old version first rather than installing a new version "on top".

Grab a copy of Revo Uninstaller (free). Use Revo to uninstall SupportAssist, and be sure to delete all the "leftovers" it shows you in bold as you work through all Revo's screens. (Don't delete anything marked in red!).

When Revo is done, reboot and download the new version of SupportAssist from the support page for your PC model.

See if that solves the problem...

5 Practitioner

• 

206 Posts

September 7th, 2021 05:00

Hi @klklklkl 

In case you want to uninstall SA from your system then i would recommend you to uninstall from control panel instead of using any third party uninstaller application or touching registries related to SupportAssist.

Are you facing system hang issue every time whenever you run SupportAssist hardware scan?

Is this issue happening only when address test run?

When memory address test run it take system memory to high usage that is how scan are designed and check if any other process also consuming high memory at the same time.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 7th, 2021 16:00

For the record, Revo Uninstaller automatically sets a Windows System Restore point before doing anything. So everything can be quickly and easily undone.

Revo then launches the app's own uninstaller. When the uninstaller finishes running, Revo shows the leftover items (files, folders, registry entries). The user can delete or keep any/all of the leftovers, keeping in mind that a leftover may cause the same problems again when the app is re-installed. So usually better to delete all leftovers.

And with the System Restore point, all changes can be undone, should anything go wrong...

3 Posts

September 8th, 2021 15:00

Thanks to all who replied to this "problem". I can't say the problem has been solved, but the issue is at least gone for the current time.

I set a new restore point in preparation for an uninstall/reinstall, and then decided to run dell support assist one more time to answer the question about the "blue screen". Well, at least for now everything seems to be working okay. No errors! frustrating! 

No Windows updates have been applied since the problem originally occurred and only one app (Zoom) had been updated. I don't understand what happened.

At least I have a list of things to try if it happens again.

7 Posts

December 27th, 2022 18:00

Hi. Had a nearly identical issue.

M15 r6, 11th Gen i7, 3080, 32GB DDR4
BSOD (reference by pointer) every time I attempted to install SupportAssist.
I also had BSOD (same error code) literally every 32 minutes (on the dot), regardless of what I was doing.

After following your wall of instructions, I can confirm that SA has been installed without BSODing. Thank you so much; you've saved me a lot of time.

As for the 32-minute-frequency BSODing, that also got fixed. Literally a Christmas Miracle.

Dell really needs to figure SupportAssist out... (though I reckon many other companies have a hard time creating support software as well)

Regardless, thanks so much.

1 Message

February 20th, 2024 10:26

I got 2 identical Inspiron PC 3670 W11Pro i7. After upgrading the first one to the latest SupportAssist (it functions) of course tried it on the second PC but failed miserably with error 1610. I tried everything but no go. Please tell me how to fix it. I tried in on my third Inspiron 3670 W11Home i7 but als on this one no go. A friend of mine was a DCSE for years at University, had advised me to acquire my 3 Inspirons for me and my kids, and is going mad about this problem he can't solve.   

No Events found!