Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

C

12 Posts

May 21st, 2018 12:00

SA, latest version not working

I downloaded the latest version of SA (Support Assist) (Version 2) a few days ago.When I try to open it, it tries to load but won't load properly (icon just continues to flash and flash), with a message that optimization tools are loading.

The same problem occurs when I try to open it as administrator. There is no option to repair this app when I go to Settings. The only 2 options are "modify" or "uninstall"

This new version of Support Assist is installed on both my XPS 8930.

Is any body else having a problem with this latest version? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

36 Posts

October 11th, 2018 05:00

@DELL-Nikhil K wrote:

For workaround :- can you try below steps as workaround.

1. Open command prompt as admin
  2. run "cd C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent\bin"
  3. run "SupportAssistUI.exe launch"

let me know if above workaround works for you.

Same issue here.  It looks like everything is in place except links.  There are no links anywhere to run the program.  The program runs if I use the steps above.

12 Posts

October 11th, 2018 13:00

Thank you Dell!

The latest version of Support Assist (Version 3.0.1.62) automatically downloaded to my desk tops and laptops and so far is running without any problems. I have pinned it to the task bar so that I can open it from there.

5 Practitioner

• 

206 Posts

October 12th, 2018 01:00

Hi FrankAPhonic, Good to hear that you were able to launch SupportAssist through command prompt that means SupportAssist working. Desktop missing icon is already identified as issue but it's very strange that for you workaround solution is also not working. Engineering team is already working on this issue and hopefully this will address with upcoming release. Thanks DELL-Nikhil K Social Media and Community Professional #iwork4Dell

October 12th, 2018 01:00

1. IE v11 though I never use it.

2. Deleted IE cache. However my issue won't allow me to launch SA because, as I previously said, there are no longer any SA shortcuts on the desktop nor in the Start menu to do so. I did manage to run SA v3.0.1.62 using your instructions to s.cullen about using the Command Prompt.

3. Registry does have the correct dword value 0x0001af9

4. Dell SupportAssist for PCs does appear in the Allowed Apps list.

The problem now is launching SA without having to use to the Command Prompt. I manually created a desktop shortcut to SupportAssistUI.exe and configured it to Run As Admin, but it does not launch SA. As TechHiker said, there are no links anywhere to run the program. Which was the original issue I experienced.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

October 12th, 2018 11:00

@jbilinski- No dice with the new v3.0.1. My previous SupportAssist was working until I downloaded/installed this new version. Now it won't run the hardware scan - again. Whatever bugs were fixed in 3.0.1 this issue of hardware scan not running was NOT fixed.

I will try uninstalling/re-installing, but I don't hold out much hope for that method either. This really needs to be fixed!

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

October 12th, 2018 13:00

After completely uninstalling and re-installing - and removing C:\Windows\Temp\SupportAssistAgent folder and rebooting - I was able to successfully run the hardware scan!

Previously, I had just done an update of the SupportAssist. It appears that a fresh install - and not just an update - could be the ticket. Fingers crossed.

I removed the C:\Windows\Temp\SupportAssistAgent folder per an earlier post. I don't know if this made the difference or not.

It would appear to me that Dell needs to work on their installer if remnants of a previous installation cause such trouble when updating.

October 13th, 2018 11:00

In an attempt to get working shortcuts, I uninstalled v3.0.1.62, restarted, then reinstalled.  SA did work, but no shortcuts were installed.  Nor did a manually created shortcut configured to run as admin work, it does nothing when double-clicked. This SA version is indeed faulty.

FWIW I have spend more time trying to fix these ongoing issues with SA than I do actually using it.

2 Posts

October 14th, 2018 10:00

So, Dull DOES have an software engineering team.  Great news.  Did they take the summer off?  But, again, it may not be all about Dull.  They can work on a stable app for V.1803, then in a month, MS issues 1809.  These Feature Updates are intense, too, similar to Service Packs in ancient times.  I'm not messing with it now, but will keep checking back here, for some future success stories.  In case you all haven't noticed, Dell and Intel are rolling back drivers in droves, which I think may be related to all of this.  Example:  at some point, Dull would not provide a driver for Intel graphics, and it reported that a major product reboot was coming soon.  Has not happened, yet, and Intel's driver interrogation is not doing ANY BETTER.  (Current drivers are mostly from ~2015.)  MARS!  And, don't forget -- they nailed PLUTO!!!

5 Practitioner

• 

206 Posts

October 14th, 2018 22:00

In case you have Windows 10 Rs4 or above then there will be no shortcut of SupportAssist on your desktop because there are some changes made from Microsoft side with new updates. We are trying to resolve this issue and working with Microsoft team on this may be with new release this may resolve. Thanks DELL-Nikhil K Social Media and Community Professional #iwork4Dell

October 15th, 2018 11:00

Are you dell guys kidding? How is THAT marked as a solution? V3 installed, same issue - loading forever. 

1 Rookie

• 

98 Posts

October 15th, 2018 17:00

I don’t have Redstone 4; I have the earlier Skylake U (Intel i-7-6500U processor) on an Inspiron 15-7569 (64-bit), BIOS 1.18.0.  I am running Support Assist 3.0.1.62, updated and installed on Oct 3 at 9:47 PM.  An hour and a half later, Windows 10 updated to version 1809 (11:15 PM.)  I had no icon for SA anywhere, but I found SA in the Start App list (left side of Start screen) and by right-clicking I pinned an icon on the Start screen and under More, pinned an icon to the TaskBar, and then I made a shortcut for the Desktop.  I updated Windows on Oct 9 (Patch Tuesday) and now have version 1809 Build 10.0.17763.55.  Get-Drivers-and-Downloads appears to be working (at least it reports in History that it completed and found no updates (“scheduled” on Oct 6 and “manual” on Oct 15). However, Hardware Scan does not work; the last time it ran (and passed) was on Sept 25 in the previous version of SA (2.2.3.2).  I do hope the Support Assist team will get it to work on processors  earlier than rs4.

22 Posts

October 19th, 2018 04:00

I have installed the latest Support Assist 3.01 on various PCs which were using the previous aulauncher.exe app as this does not update itself to this newer Support Assist (why not?). I'm now having many of those PCs crashing out with a blue screen at random and losing users work. All of these PCs are on Windows 10 1803 with the latest updates for that. It could be a co-incidence but I don't think so. This is very serious and I'm about to de-install on 25 PCs! I have had many problems with the install anyway. It can take for ages and when installed it just disappears from the Start menu but remains in Programs and Features. I think Dell need to take a serious look at this program in conjunction with Windows 10 1803. I have Win 10 1809 on my Home PC. It has not blue-screened but it has disappeared from the Start menu. The work PCs I support are a mix of Vostro 200/220/230/260/270.

October 19th, 2018 16:00

I have the exact same issue. Dell XPS on Win 10 Pro 1803

DellSupportAssistError.PNG

1 Message

October 20th, 2018 00:00

Same here on inspiron 5579 i5-8250u, never ending loading and error message.

1 Rookie

• 

98 Posts

October 27th, 2018 16:00

Here's an update to my note of Oct 15 about not being able to run the Manual Hardware Scan on my Inspiron-7569, Windows 10 Pro, version 1809.   I have not taken any of the remedies suggest here in this thread.  Essentially, I have just ignored Support Assist altogether. But, yesterday I decided to run Support Assist,  the first time since Oct 15.   Manual Hardware Scan works now!!!  It is still version 3.0.1.62 and it is still the same Support Assist that was installed October 3.  In addition, I have not had any Quality/Cumulative updates between Oct 15 and Oct 26.  I have had a number of Definition/Windows Defender Anti-Virus updates (one or two per day between Oct 15 and Oct 26).  I had a Firefox update from version 62.x to version 63.0 on Oct 24.  That's the only thing I can think of that might have affected the situation so that the Manual Hardware Scan runs now.

No Events found!