Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

125 Posts

January 26th, 2019 17:00

SA, make only run manually

I am using the latest version of SupportAssist. I would prefer that it run only when I launch it, not automatically. I see that there is an option with a checkbox to set the frequency of the automatic scans, and I unchecked the checkbox assuming that would stop automatic scanning. However today during a backup it started running which could have been a problem since I was creating an image backup.

Thanks

Greg

1 Rookie

• 

384 Posts

January 27th, 2019 13:00

Same here. I have unchecked the box for automatic system scan but did run today with the settings for auto scans. This is mostly a bug with the latest Versjon [3.1.0.142] and should be fixed in the next update.

I have set it to run every quarter, day 27 at 7:00 PM. Next scan is then 27. april so my guess is that supportassist is updated before then....

5 Practitioner

• 

206 Posts

January 27th, 2019 20:00

Hi Greg, Can you tell me which frequency you have selected or you just uncheck the " Enable automated system scans" option. Thanks DELL-NikhilK #iworkforDell

125 Posts

January 28th, 2019 11:00

Yes, Thanks I just unchecked the "Enable Automated System Sca

125 Posts

April 2nd, 2019 14:00

Hello,

I really need some support here. As noted above, having previously  unchecked Enable automated system scans in the settings menu, I noted today that the Support Assist again began to run its full set of scans and stopped it just in time. When it runs it deletes a registry entry on a certain program every time and requires me to do a full reinstall and reconfiguration that can take up to an hour of work. What is wrong with Support Assist that it is running when not scheduled? How can I prevent this short of uninstalling the program? I want it to run only when I open and tell it  to and select what subroutines to run myself to prevent this registry problem.

Greg

5 Practitioner

• 

146 Posts

April 3rd, 2019 05:00

Do you have a any screen shots of the messages or UI?  Just want to make sure it's SupportAssist and not some other type of program which.  This doesn't happen to me and many customers because even if SA scan was enabled monthly or weekly it still has to meet a handful of conditions in order to run, for example device needs to be idle. 

125 Posts

April 3rd, 2019 13:00

Hi,

I did not make a screenshot, but I can identify the interface of the program running as being SupportAssist  It is easy to recognize. Since I have run it manually in the past, I can  recognize the interface. Latley  when it unwelcomely auto launches, the computer has been in idle, but I was at my desk doing something else, and I just happened to catch it and stop it before it can run and cause the program registry entry to be deleted.

Also I looked at all my installed programs, and none of them cleanup utilities  "cleaning"  the registry like SA does. I have Norton Security Suite, but that interface when it runs looks totally different from SA and I confirmed that Norton Security Suite does not clean the registry. After the latest run in January SA cleared 65 registry entries according to the history and soon after that when I launched the program in question, it failed to launch and had to be reinstalled.

I see that Microsoft interestingly warns its customers not to use any program that cleans  the registry and indicates it is not necessary.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2563254/microsoft-support-policy-for-the-use-of-registry-cleaning-utilities

it just looks to me that SA is not for some reason storing that I have unchecked Enable Automated Scans. Looks like the person above has the same issue as me.

Version [3.1.0.142]

Greg

125 Posts

April 30th, 2019 10:00

Hi,

Any more information from Dell on resolving this issue?

Thanks,

Greg

October 3rd, 2019 13:00

8 months later, it looks like Dell has no intention of solving this.  I clicked the checkbox to uncheck (disable) automated system scans, but SupportAssist automatically runs anyway.  Fortunately I caught it just before it was about to delete files that Dell doesn't want me to have.

No Events found!