Start a Conversation

Unsolved

DS

1 Message

September 7th, 2022 05:00

Support Assist installation failed

Hello,

I have a Dell G15 5515 Ryzen Edition.

I tried installing Support Assist but it bricks the device and shows blue screen death shutdown.

I tried contacting dell support but they couldn't solve it and said to contact advanced support team. 

Can somebody help.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 8th, 2022 17:00

Hi Deepankar Samal:

Has your service warranty expired? If you still have a valid service warranty and DELL-Cares couldn't help they should have automatically escalated your problem to Dell Tech Support for you, but can also open a support request at https://www.dell.com/support/incidents-online/contactus as instructed in the support article How to Create a Support Request Online for Dell EMC if your warranty is still valid.

For now I'll assume that you were able to uninstall SupportAssist and this stopped your BSODs. If that is incorrect you might be able to boot up your system in Safe Mode (or Safe Mode with Networking) as instructed in the BleepingComputer article How to Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode with Networking. This should start your system with minimal drivers and Windows system files (i.e., without launching non-essential Dell software and other third-party programs) and allow you to uninstall SupportAssist from Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features.

If your warranty has expired and Dell Tech Support will not provide assistance please let us know your Windows operating system [if Win 10 or Win 11 include the edition (Home or Pro), version and build number shown at Settings | System | About | Windows Specifications], your current BIOS version [open a Run dialog box (Windows+R keys), enter msinfo32 to open your System Information panel, and look for the “BIOS Version/Date” field] and antivirus.

If possible, run the System File Checker (sfc /scannow) and DISM commands like Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth from an elevated command prompt as instructed in the ghacks.net article Use DISM to Fix Issues SFC Can't  to see if these scans can find and correct any issues with your Windows system files.  From my Inspiron 5584 after a BSOD:

Win 10 Pro v21H2 Command Prompt SFC DISM Issues Found After Boot Failure EDITED 30 May 2022.png

Also provide any details you can about your BSODs. If you don't recall the exact wording of your BSOD error your Event Viewer should have logged details. Any critical application failures should be logged in your Windows Reliability Monitor, and double-clicking on the event in the Details section should display details. See the Dell support article How to Use Windows Reliability Monitor to Identify Software Issues for more information.

Win 10 Pro v21H2 Relaibility Monitor Three Critical Events 27 Aug 2022.png

If your BSODs generated mini-dump files you can also run NirSoft's BlueScreenView or Resplendence's WhoCrashed utilities to interpret the Bug Check (BC) codes - see my 28-Jul-2022 instructions for using BlueScreenView in Bradp1779's Inspiron 5570 Blue Screen. As I noted there, free utilities like BlueScreenView only list basic details of the suspected driver / module that was loaded in the crash stack at the time of the crash so they aren't as accurate as a detailed Windows Debugger (WinDbg) analysis of your full dump files, but these utilities sometimes provides useful information that can point you towards the problematic driver.

Note that many users have reported problems installing and running the current SupportAssist v3.11.4.29.  A few users have reported that Dell pushed out a SupportAssist v3.12.1.180 update to their systems recently, so if you have managed to uninstall SupportAssist from your system and this resolved your BSODs you might want to simply wait and see if the upcoming v3.12.1.180 behaves any better on your system.  I personally don't like using SupportAssist and use the Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.6.0 app, which is listed <here> on the support page for your Dell G15 5515 Ryzen Edition, to check for available Dell software and driver updates. If I ever need to run a hardware scan I can still run Dell's F12 ePSA (enhanced Pre-boot System Assessment) hardware diagnostics from my BIOS, and my Windows 10 OS also has its own built-in hardware diagnostics at Settings | Update & Security | Troubleshoot | Additional Troubleshooters.
--------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1889 * Firefox v104.0.2 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2207.7-1.1.19500.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.14.210-1.0.1751 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6867 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BIOS v1.20.0 * 64-Bit BlueScreenView Portable v1.55
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

2 Intern

• 

385 Posts

September 25th, 2022 08:00

This is a known problem that several are having. My advice is to leave SA and let it automatically update when dell have manage to solve this problem. When that happens it should automatically update in the background. When that happens is yet to see. Don't hold your breath.

No Events found!