Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 23rd, 2019 13:00

SupportAssist Installation/Update Fix

Disclaimer:  This solution worked for my XPS 8930 Windows 10 Pro version 1809.

Background.  SupportAssist stopped working.  Program notified me an update was available.  The update removed SupportAssist but did not complete the installation. Subsequent attempts simply hanged.  Attempted all suggestions found here and elsewhere on the internet.  Contacted Dell Technical Support via email but their solution was off base.  No joy.

Found a Microsoft tool "Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed" at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-installed-or-removed

What the app does: helps fix problems that:
Corrupt registry keys on 64-bit operating systems.
Corrupt registry keys that control the update data.
Prevent new programs from being installed.
Prevent existing programs from being completely uninstalled or updated.
Block you from uninstalling a program through Add or Remove Programs (or Programs and Features) in Control Panel.

Downloaded and ran the troubleshooter which found and fixed corrupt registry keys associated with SupportAssist.  Rebooted only for caution sake.  Ran and successfully installed SupportAssist.

Ran SupportAssist.  Aborted for unexpected error during hardware test.  BUT, SupportAssist had identified two driver updates.  Applied the updates.  Rebooted.  SupportAssist is now 100% operational and I am once again a happy camper.

Hopefully, this Microsoft tool will work for you.

61 Posts

September 23rd, 2019 14:00

Maybe so, Thomas, but in another thread ChrisM correctly identified the drivers I needed and SupportAssist confirmed as

Intel Chipset Device Software Driver 101175418066
Intel Management Engine Components 19141201255

For me, ignoring the update notification would have been a frustrating mistake.  My issues were multiple, meaning corrupted registry keys.

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

384 Posts

September 23rd, 2019 13:00

Something is changed since the installation is working on more and more systems.

But the check for new drivers is acting up some times and shows driver updates that already is applied. If you do the same driver check online via dell's support page, no updates are found. So my take on the issue is to ignore it since all the other tools are working. 

September 23rd, 2019 16:00

THANK YOU SOO MUCH FOR THIS FIX! All I had to do was uninstall Dell Support Assist using that tool, then I reinstalled it and it FINALLY WORKED AFTER SOOO MANYYY ATTEMPTS! Thank you once again!

1 Rookie

• 

384 Posts

September 23rd, 2019 19:00

CCleaner does the same, so if you already have that program, just use that to fix registry issues after uninstalling the not working SA version   

61 Posts

September 24th, 2019 14:00

Glad the Microsoft tool worked for you, PostiveVibesJoe.  Turns out a few other community posters found it and reported it long before I found the link.  Kudos to them.  Too bad there is not an easy way to identify and compile a list of "solutions" reported by posters.

No Events found!