Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

1 Message

June 4th, 2022 08:00

SupportAssist OS Recovery "We have run into a critical error. Please wait till we recover"

I have used Support Assist OS Recovery many times in the past, last time I used it was 2-3 weeks back. It has worked every time. But when I went to use is today, I get the Support Assist OS Recovery loading screen but then I get the following error: "We have run into a critical error. Please wait till we recover" and then an infinite black screen. How do I fix this issue?

1 Message

September 11th, 2022 12:00

Similar problems.

I’m trying to boot to my USB so I can use the recovery tool to reinstall Windows. Problem is that it loads the  Recovery Tool but goes into black screen and repeats the fault as mentioned above.

However leaving the warning message alone it disappears and repeats. Pressing enter or OK for me at least will eventually bring a white screen, but nothing seems to happen.

3 Posts

October 29th, 2022 05:00

Same to me. I just updated bios.

November 27th, 2022 03:00

i have same problem. windows 10 seems corrupt and wont reinstall from usb

4 Posts

January 14th, 2023 01:00

I am having the same problem.

This is happening with a freshly downloaded version from Dell!

This has been happening for a while now - Come on Dell get this fixed!!!

2 Posts

January 30th, 2023 11:00

I have the same problem, I done a new install of windows 10. Update support assist os recovery and i got the same problem as everyone. please help dell!!!!.

2 Posts

February 11th, 2023 01:00

Hi Koutroul

Can you share what you updated in bios to fix please?

Cheers

2 Posts

February 11th, 2023 01:00

I am having same problem and even get the critical error message twice and one time went to a full white screen, Please help fix this. 

1 Message

February 18th, 2023 07:00

Has anyone had any updates on this? Know very little about computers. Have done every dell suggestion non works. Hardware seems fine (according to system diagnostic). So seems to be a software issue but nothing I do get my PC to boot into Windows.  Support tool was my last option to try and do a factory reset on PC. Even purchased second hand laptop to download support tool to USB. Just getting "We have run into critical error. Please wait while we recover." Despite promise of recovery none comes and its a loop of dispair. Its a Dell XPS 8930. Is it an issue with this model or do I need a specific USB?

February 18th, 2023 12:00

I have the same problem. I was replacing my SSD which seems to have become unusable. I followed the instructions to create the ISO for Windows on a USB device (16Gb memory card through a card reader). I cannot get my PC to recognize the USB. I try the Support Assistant which acknowledged there was no OS but then got stuck with the message above and the black screen. Occasionally the message returns.

February 20th, 2023 02:00

Sadly I didn't find a solution to the Critical Error message even though I tried the online "Get Help Now" option. After entering details there and waiting 30 minutes I was referred to the support team as my warranty had expired. I didn't think that was a very good response.

I did manage to get past this overall, however.

1. I was trying to use the Dell Support Assist to create a bootable USB drive on a memory card via an adaptor. This seemed to be set up OK but could not be detected on the PC I was attempting to fix. Further it was not detected as a boot drive on my laptop either so I switched devices.

2. I had to fiddle with the BIOS to get it to properly see a USB device to boot from. I tried an old SSD which had Windows on it. I knew that would not boot but it could be detected by my Dell machine as a bootable device. 

3. I eventually sacrificed the old SSD to make it my bootable device and installed the Windows 10 installation files via the Dell code. When I attempted to boot from this I seemed to get a little further forward. A Windows type symbol appeared when booting but then the Support Assist software kicked in and I ended up with the same old Critical Error problem. That's when I contacted Dell Support online, albeit without success.

4.I then abandoned the Dell route and went to Microsoft directly and set up the USB device with their own software. That then worked fine.

Thought I'd share.

No Events found!