Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

August 13th, 2017 03:00

SupportAssist crashes after 15 seconds

Dell SupportAssist crashes ~ 15 sec after start, about one second after hilightening the button "Driver and Downloads". This is a new phenomenon, the program worked 7/2017. I suppose a problem with the last Windows 10 64- bit- Update. I use Version 1703 Built 15063.540. Thanks for any idea.

8 Posts

August 13th, 2017 03:00

This is what I tried to solve the problem- no success: deinstalled and reinstalled SupportAssist from the Dell website. Deinstalled Malwarebytes. Used "sfc /scannow". Used "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth"

3 Posts

August 13th, 2017 06:00

I have exactly the same problem. My environment is also exactly the same:

Windows 10 Education 64-bit

Version 1703 (built 15063.540)

I wonder if it is not the update to Creators Update that caused this problem? I'm not sure though.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 13th, 2017 10:00

When you start Support Assist, it does a system scan.  While it finishes it will highlight some of the squares.  Is that when it crashes and are any squares highlighted at the time?

So you see any orange triangles on the left side of the window?

8 Posts

August 13th, 2017 11:00

When I start SupportAssist ("pcdrcui.exe"), I see the following squares (buttons) highlighted (translated from the German Version): "Hardware Checkup", "Optimize Computer" , "Receive Support". On the left side of the window I see my comoputer Name, Service tag etc.In the upper right part of the window caption I see a circle spinning indicating that the System does some chhecks.  The button "Driver and Downloads" is highlighted after ~ 15 sec , and then immediatelly á W10- Windows occurs telling that the program crashed. I could post a jpg, however I don't know how. I never see any orange triangles. Definitively this problem is new.  

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 13th, 2017 12:00

Two things I can suggest you try.  The first is to turn off all notifications, if you can.

The second thing is a reinstall may not replace all components of the SupportAssist utility.  If you could find some files which remained after an uninstall they may be involved.

The only time I run SupportAssist is when someone has a problem so I don't have that much experience with it.  If the problem was created when the System Info was accessed, maybe some device did not like being scanned.

There have been updates recently to this utility.  What I show may be different than the German version.

3 Posts

August 13th, 2017 17:00

I tried to disable notifications, the problem is still there.

As for the reinstall, my computer is quite brand new. It stopped working all of a sudden (I upgraded to Creators Update but that's it).

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 13th, 2017 22:00

HaraldM1, I got Process Monitor and set it to watch my system when I started Support Assist.  I don't use German, so it may even be related to that but my Dell systems seem to handle the latest updates OK.

When you start SupportAssist, sessionchecker.exe starts up and reads many of the data and configuration files.

It starts uaclauncher.exe which seems to do more of the same.

uaclauncher.exe starts pcdsecondarysplash.exe an it runs along with the others, for a while, probably until the desktop window is open.

Then pcdrcui.exe is started by uaclauncher.exe which continues as long as the window is open.  This utility also goes through many files and registry entries.

I notice the programs requests internet access. so are you online when you run it?  

Any chance a anti-virus program (not Defender) is blocking access to some system files?

Here are some locations you might look thru.  These may be the type of things which would need to be replaced if you reinstalled.

C:\Windows\Prefetch  <-Files which start with PCDR

C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssist

C:\ProgramData\PCDr\6664\datastore

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PC-Doctor

You have probably already checked the Event Viewer and any Dell logs which might be available, so I can't think of anything else to try.  

6 Posts

August 14th, 2017 01:00

Hello all,
That's my first post here on Dell Community forum, so.. Hi :-)
Back to the subject. I just spotted that on Microsoft Community page the same issue was raised, so I found this quite important and maybe it would be good to join forces, as it seems a global issue.

Regards.

• 

16.7K Posts

August 14th, 2017 07:00

HaraldM1,

Click the link below for innformation with Support Assist. You can uninstall and reinstall from the link below.

Dell SupportAssist for PCs and tablets

6 Posts

August 14th, 2017 08:00

DELL-Jesse L,

I tried as suggested without positive result.

Steps taken:

- uninstalling both SupportAssist and SupportAssist Agent,

- restart,

- installing SupportAssist (Agent included) with aulauncher.exe

- restart.

Regards.

• 

16.7K Posts

August 14th, 2017 08:00

mlpo,

Unfortunately, I cannot verify that the Windows update caused the issue. Click the link below to install the program. 

Support Assist

8 Posts

August 14th, 2017 09:00

Now I tested SupportAssist in a Windows 7 64 Bit Professional PC and observier the same problem: SupportAssist starts, but after a minute or two the program crashed. The problem seems to be linked to the feature "Driver and Downloads ", since the crash occurs moments after activation (highlightening) this button.

Today, again I did deinstall the software as proposed and reinstalled it using the Dell link provided above on my Win7- PC . Crash!

8 Posts

August 14th, 2017 09:00

Thanks for your assistance. As you can see below, I now can reproduce the problem on a Win7- 64 Professional PC. I expect a fundamental issue.

6 Posts

August 14th, 2017 11:00

Now I tested SupportAssist in a Windows 7 64 Bit Professional PC and observier the same problem: SupportAssist starts, but after a minute or two the program crashed. The problem seems to be linked to the feature "Driver and Downloads ", since the crash occurs moments after activation (highlightening) this button.
Today, again I did deinstall the software as proposed and reinstalled it using the Dell link provided above on my Win7- PC . Crash!

I don't think it's related with hovering mouse over the "Driver.." tile.
I made a test and it just fails without any specific reason / movement.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 14th, 2017 15:00

My system does not have a desktop Shortcut to start the program, I use the one from the Apps listing in the Dell Folder, possibly because it came pre-installed on my system and mine was an original Win 10 system.

When mine opens it has a different look, possibly a country situation.  I do not show the optimization and whatever the Sterowniki thing is.  My current version is 1.1.6664.10

You may need to change the language on the link but just in case you are not downloading the latest version..

www.dell.com/.../dell-support-center-or-my-dell-do-not-work-after-upgrade-to-windows-10

No Events found!