Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

LD

July 2nd, 2016 08:00

SupportAssist says driver updates are installed?

XPS13 with Windows 10.  See screen shot below.  Dell Support Assist program says the two driver updates are recommended.  clicking "install" it shows progress to install, then says installed, but on refresh or re-entry to the program it still shows them as needing to be installed.  No errors generated.  Other driver updates done the same way without issue.  Suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 2nd, 2016 14:00

Don't use Dell Support assist with windows 10. Windows 10 will install generic drivers if Dell doesn't have win 10 drivers. You should mention the full model name of the computer. Does Dell support your model for upgrading to win 10? If so, get the win 10 drivers from Dell Drivers and Downloads.

21 Posts

July 6th, 2016 20:00

XPS13 9350 signature edition.  Came with Windows 10 installed.  Doesn't Dell Support Assist use Dell drivers?

July 7th, 2016 00:00

In this Dell Inspiron 3542, I had that problem with the Intel Management Engine Interface driver. The site & Support Assist offered v. 11.0.0.1153 - but delivered ...1147 - for it. Then, they continued to offer ...1153 each time I had them "Detect Drivers" - because they only delivered ...1147!

I stopped it by updating the driver using Device Manager. I think you will see the driver version currently showing in Device Manager is less than the v. 11.0.0.1162 that Support Assist (& the site) offer to you. Then, if lucky, you may do as I did & be rid of the problem.

(a) R-Clk START, & select Device Manager.

(b) D-Clk "System devices", & then D-Clk "Intel Management Engine Interface".

(c) Click "Update Driver"...

This delivered v....1157 - & at long last Dell Detect Drivers at the site & Support Assist no longer offer the other! (The other is still listed there for me at the "Find It Myself" page.)

Hopefully, it will be the same for your Intel Serial IO driver. Good luck.

21 Posts

September 22nd, 2016 10:00

thanks for the reply.  when I click "update driver" it asks where to find the driver.  where did you get the current version?  from Dell?

September 22nd, 2016 20:00

Ultimately, v.11.0.0.1157 of the Intel Management Engine Interface Driver came in this way...

(1) R-Clk START, & select Device Manager.

(2) Double-Clk "Intel Management Engine Interface", (under System Devices).

(3) At the Driver tab, click the Update Driver button, & take this choice..

This delivered version ...1157 to me. Therefore the site & Support Assist no longer think I need to be updated. Those offer ...1153 but deliver ...1146. Then, they continually offered ...1153.

I think Device Manager shows you your current version is less than ...1162 - which is what your site offers. It delivered what you see in Device Manager. It will continue to offer ...1162.

(1) If the above does not cure you, try again from time to time. It wasn't there for me for quite a while.

(2) If all is well, actually you may ignore the problem. You don't really need a new driver unless there is a problem with the current one.

19 Posts

December 25th, 2016 16:00

Thank you for this work around.  I have a Dell XPS 13 and the Dell Support Assistant keeps telling me I need different drivers, installs them, then tells me I still need them. It's been very frustrating.  I've done this and it's worked almost completely.

The DSA still shows me this:

When I go into Device Manager I see this: 

But when I try and Update Drive it tells me Windows has determined the driver software I have is up to date.  

Your post was very helpful in getting rid of the other updates required by the DSA.  Like the original poster, using the Dell Support Assist app just keep running me around in circles.  Now I know to go to the Device Manager.

Thank you.

December 29th, 2016 17:00

You are welcome.

(1) Sometimes it's the other way around: the Dell site will have the greater version. Therefore, check both the site & Device Manager once a month - &/or if/when there seems to be a driver problem.

(2) Support Assist didn't know of all the updated drivers that were available at my Dell site, only 5/so of the 14/so that were there. So, the site is the better of the two.

Good luck, & keep us informed.

March 28th, 2017 09:00

Thanks for posting your solution, PCR Just PCR.  I recently starting having the same issue with my XPS8900 and the Dell v11.5.0.1020 update.

Like you, after using the update file from Dell downloads it became obvious that the v11.5.0.1020 update was actually re-installing v11.5.0.1019.  Which clearly explains the endless loop in SupportAssist.

I found it odd that there was no option button to "Install" when I started running the downloaded update file.  Instead, the only option was to choose between Repair or Remove as described below....

1 - Repair errors in the most recent installation by fixing missing and corrupt file, shortcuts, and registry entries.
This option ended successfully but with the outdated driver v11.5.0.1019 still installed.

2 - Remove the product from your computer
This option ended successfully but left me with v11.6.0.1042 installed by default, which is a newer version than Dell's problematic update.

v11.6.0.1042 also happens to be the same version that was installed when I used Device Mgr to perform the update.  I was curious to see what Dell's downloaded file would do if I ran it while this newer version was installed.  Strangely, when the file opened this time, it gave me different options - "Install" or "Extract".  Although the installer said it ended successfully, it actually downgraded the newer driver to v11.5.0.1019.

However, I've limited myself to discovering the version number from the Driver tab in Device Mgr, or by seeing what SupportAssist offered.  I haven't checked Programs & Features until now and thought it was worth mentioning here.  See my attachment above.

The weird thing about running this update from the downloaded file using the Repair option is that it updates the Intel Management Engine "Components" found in Windows 10 Programs & Features, but not the driver version number found in Device Mgr under Intel Management Engine "Interface".  Notice the similar names but different locations in Windows.  My Programs & Features displays v11.5.0.1020 and the date I ran the update file, while Device Mgr displays v11.5.0.1019.  I presume both locations should display the same version, which would likely stop SupportAssist's endless loop.

Please note that this updating of Programs & Features DID NOT OCCUR when I allowed SupportAssist to perform the update.  So I think it's worth checking the version in Programs & Features and use the download file if it needs to be updated, and then update the driver in Device Mgr to stop SupportAssist's endless loop.  I can't say if the Programs & Features update would occur when running the file via the Remove option as I wasn't looking for that when I tested it.

Fortunately I had no issues to being with, except for the nagging update in SupportAssist.

March 29th, 2017 02:00

You are welcome, Frank. Looks like you take your driver updates as meticulously as I do.

My notes do indicate the Management Engine Interface Driver offered "Repair" or "Remove" & not "Install". Many drivers from the site are similar. But they do so much, I always felt it was near enough to a full uninstall & reinstall. (I suppose personally uninstalling it first would cause the download to do a fresh install of itself. However, that could prove difficult to do, as the reboot after uninstall normally causes the same one to immediately reinstall.)

I've seen drivers from the site refuse to install, if they were a lesser version. I've never seen what you say this one did - but I never purposely tried to install a lesser over a greater. However, I've seen threads in which some want to do that, because the greater version is problematic. Therefore, it may be a good thing that the v.11.5.0.1019 download would do that - if it would stick (not get replaced by Windows Update).

I'm just glad I haven't seen messages in Support Assist or at the site (clicking "guide me > detect drivers) about the Management Engine Interface Driver since v.11.0.0.1157 has installed through Device Manager. It's the greater version in Device Manager that causes it to stop. My site still just has v.11.0.0.1153 (which delivers ...1146) at "find it myself".

In Programs & Features, I still see...

Hmm. Should I? As you say - it says "Components". Therefore, I choose to let this be - as the "Interface" in Device Manager might be just one component.

In another case where a driver updated through the Device Manager - the Intel HD Graphics Driver - it did update the entry in Programs & Features as well. It did that once when I clicked for the update in Device Manager. And it did it again on its own coming in through Windows Update. It's the first one I caught doing so. It lifted me to v.20.19.15.4531.

I like Dell & rarely had trouble with its drivers. Nevertheless, on 2/17/17, my warranty recently expired, I uninstalled: Customer Connect, Product Registration, Digital Delivery, Support Assist, Support Assist Agent, & I had already uninstalled Dell Update (an icon in the Tray that mimicked Windows Update but for Dell stuff, that I think never worked).

Now I let Windows do the driver updates, but occasionally do visit the site to compare versions with Device Manager. If I see a greater one at the site - first I will click to update it in Device Manager. If that fails to get it, I will take it manually from the site. Naturally, BIOS & firmware updates will only be at the site. Downloads from Dell have always been good.

March 30th, 2017 09:00

Hi PCR,

Normally I wouldn't purposely install a lesser driver but it was a stone left unturned during my troubleshooting.  All my tests up to that point were performed while the outdated v11.5.0.1019 driver was present in Device Mgr and THEN I discovered the Intel Management Engine "Components" in Windows 10 Programs & Features, but it had the previous day's date.  That made me curious to know which update method modified Programs & Features, was it SupportAssist, Repair, Remove or Install.  As it turned out, Install is the only option available while the newer driver is installed.  So it was a twofold test, a) watch the date in Programs & Features to see if it changed and b) hope it would downgrade to v11.5.0.1020 in Device Mgr.

Unlike you my warranty started in January when I purchased my first Dell desktop.  I wasn't happy with the support I got from Dell when I sought advice on installing a SSD as the OS drive.  I abandoned the thread after 7 days when it became clear I was wasting huge amounts of time following advice that didn't work as expected.  With this recent update issue I initially opened an email support ticket with Dell.  Their first reply asked me to update my BIOS, update SupportAssist, update all my drivers, and make windows updates.  All but the problematic update was already up to date and I told them so in my reply and supplied the updated version numbers as well.  Their second reply was a link to the BIOS update download page with instruction to update the BIOS... ***.  Then I realized I wasted 4 days writing to people who didn't understand my reply or didn't spend the 30 seconds it took to read it.  Funny thing is, having owned PC's for past 30+ years, I was capable of getting to the bottom of these things myself without Dell's support, I was just hoping they could help "save" me some time.   It's encouraging to know you rarely have trouble with drivers.

I suspect the greater version in Device Manager that causes SupportAssist to stop looping endlessly would also prevent SA from correctly detecting & offering future non-problematic updates that were actually newer but still had a lower version than the one shown in Device Mgr.  For your computer the difference between version numbers 11.0.0.1153 and 11.0.0.1157 is small and it's quite possible the next update could be greater than 1157.  For me it could be any version number that fits between 11.5.0.1020 and 11.6.0.1042, that's a lot of possible version numbers and could take a long time.

In the meantime the only choice is between living with the faulty automation of SA's endless loop or living with the inconvenience of remembering to manually check the site at "find it myself".  

I agree that the "Interface" driver in Device Mgr is likely to be just one component in the problematic "Components" update.  Given that SA is clearly using the Interface driver version in Device Mgr to determine which version of the Components update is installed in Programs & Features, it's quite obvious now that SA is either looking at the wrong place for a version number or failing to update the version number in Device Mgr.

Thanks again for taking the time to post your solution.

March 30th, 2017 17:00

OK. Secretly, I thought you might be batty - but I see you were just turning over stones - that, that's OK, then. And I think you needn't worry over intermediate drivers between 11.5.0.1020 and 11.6.0.1042. So long as the latter is working well, there won't be a reason to downgrade. And I doubt this issue is the cause of any trouble with installing the SSD, though I have no experience with SSDs. Also, I think it is good to update all drivers - that's no reason to be upset with Dell Support. If they otherwise can't get the SSD to work - well, then I'd get upset. I hope you got that solved.

My notes state clearly - & I even recall it too - that the Intel Management Engine Interface Driver as downloaded from the site & clicked to install (or installed at the site or by Support Assist) will update both the version number in Programs & Features (components) & in Device Manager (interface). Both numbers get lifted - but not to the same value. Unfortunately, the site & Support Assist subsequently look for the higher number in Device Manager, don't find it - & ask that you install it again. I did try to install it all 3 ways - click the download, let Support Assist do it, let the site do it. It was the same result. That stopped only on the day I clicked to update it using Device Manager. ...1157 came in for the "interface" - & the episode came to a happy end. However, that way, the entry at Programs & Features (components) was not updated.

I've updated that driver at least 3 times. It began in Win 8.1 with v.9.5.24.1790 (components) & v.9.5.23.1766 (interface). It's the only driver that does this kind of thing. But all the versions of that driver actually ran well for me, near as I know. So, I can't hate Dell.

Mine is a Dell Inspiron 3542 laptop with a touchscreen. I had two good experiences with Dell Support. I passworded myself out of this computer about a week after purchase. I was setting up a MSFT account, & backed out - or so I thought. Then, I couldn't remember the password I thought I had never set. I was talked through a factory reinstall over the phone. My second good experience was e-mail support to update drivers. I was told which drivers to avoid downloading from the site. I wasn't to take nVidia graphics - only Intel. Not Wireless 1704 - only 1705. But the issue of Intel Management Engine Interface Driver never came up. (After my warranty expired, all conversations quickly turned to money. So, I stopped calling & became an expert like you.)

April 2nd, 2017 08:00

I think you misunderstood.  The SSD upgrade issue started & ended in mid-January shortly after purchasing the computer.  It has nothing at all to do with this recent SupportAssist endless loop issue which started for me about 2 weeks ago.

FYI I did solve the SSD issue after 7 days.  The first 5 days were spent unsuccessfully with Dell support, at which time I turned to my own resources.  2 days later I had it installed & running.  In all fairness I did learn a thing or two from Dell, but in the end wasted countless hours following advice that morphed into a can of worms I no longer wanted any part of.

Regarding the endless loop issue in SupportAssist, I wasn't upset with Dell email support because they asked to update all drivers.  Of course it's good to do that.  I was sorely disappointed because I responded to tell them "The most recent BIOS update (v2.1.8) was already installed".  Yet their reply to my response contained only a link to driver downloads with instructions to "please select the BIOS option and download the BIOS to the latest version".  ***?  Perhaps your experience was better because you dealt with just 1 support representative.  Each of my replies came from different people and it was clear to me that the 2nd rep didn't understand or never read my response.  His reply was so far removed from the content of my response I saw no point in sending another and felt I'd be better served looking elsewhere for a solution.  And I was, that same day I found this thread, and thanks to your tip the endless loop is gone :-)

I think you're right about not worrying over intermediate driver updates.  At each boot I get a MEIx64 System Info event in Event Viewer stating "Intel(R) Management Engine Interface driver has started successfully.".  I got that event with the outdated Dell driver as well.  So neither driver had, nor has, any issues I'm aware of.  The only issue to begin with was SupportAssist's endless loop, which turned out to be a result of the faulty v11.5.0.1020 update and not SA itself.

April 2nd, 2017 17:00

OK, I see it was separate issues for you as well. That's right, I had one Dell support person per issue, & a good one each time. Glad to see you've found other ways to solve the SSD issue. That's what I do too now, go on hunts of my own & experiment. But due caution is a necessity. I hope you've...

(a) made a Recovery USB drive,

(b) a system image backup onto an external or separate HDD,

(c) turned on system restore points, &

(d) backed up downloads & user files separately.

(e) Finally, download & print your User's Manual, in case of hardware failure.

I am glad I was able to help with this issue. IIRC, I read at least part of that, myself, elsewhere.

April 7th, 2017 16:00

To be a more perfect driver monger like me, Frank, download...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-windows-10

How to temporarily prevent a driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10

Open it, click "next", then the "Hide updates" button. If you have a bunch of stuff there that stays a year or so - as other stuff, like Defender updates, enter & exit below them - open Device Manager. These were all under "System devices". Click to update the drivers & watch as one by one they disappear from WUShowHide.

Only that Watchdog Timer remains now. I can't find it in Device Manager to update. Possibly, it has uninstalled with one of the six Dell stuff I've removed. A little research hasn't convinced me to seek to get it back.

April 7th, 2017 23:00

The answer is on page 1 of this thread.

Bottom line: Try to update it using Device Manager. If that fails, try again once a month. To stop, a version must come in that is greater than or equal to 11.5.0.1020 - because that is what the site (& Support Assist) test against. Both of them are actually putting 11.5.0.1019 into Device Manager, although the site says it is 11.5.0.1020.

Remember - so long as the driver you've got is working well - all is also well, if you just ignore the whole thing. That's the only driver that does that kind of thing. (I am glad the circumstance is ended for me.)

No Events found!