Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

5 Practitioner

• 

249 Posts

February 1st, 2020 10:00

SupportAssist will not scan hardware

I have tried scanning hardware several times today, rebooted, and also did a cold power start.  The scan starts and jumps to 100% almost immediately.  I have run this scan before many times, and it does take about 10 minutes, as stated.  The History shows this: "Hardware Scan Result (Manual) - Default scan - Test Not Started - February 1, 2020 1:51:30 PM" .  SupportAssist itself is showing no errors: it just goes to completion in a few seconds and states "Passed".

I wanted to run this scan because my monitor suddenly blanked out, complaining of no signal.  I did a cold-power start and reseated all of the cables (none were loose), and the problem went away, at least for now.

The computer is a new Dell (October 2019) XPS 8930 Special Edition, running Windows 10 Pro x64, Build 1909, fully updated as of yesterday.

Any suggestions appreciated.  Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

5 Practitioner

• 

249 Posts

February 16th, 2020 02:00

Update

I am running a Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition, purchased in October 2019, with Windows 10 Pro, x64, Build 1909, fully updated, including February Windows 10 updates.  I was intrigued by boheap's reply, in this topic here because I also run Malwarebytes Premium 4.04 (fully updated).  Malwarebytes was not throwing any errors when I tried to run Scan Hardware with SupportAssist 3.4.1.49, nor was the SupportAssist program itself.

Rather than disable my Malwarebytes Premium (MBP), I decided to add the following folders to the MBP "Allow List" before testing whether disabling MBP had any effect.  I "allowed" the following folders to be exempt from any MBP protection:

C:\Program Files\Dell\SARemediation
C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent

I rebooted my computer, and now Scan Hardware works just fine and passed.  Also, under Troubleshoot, I can now see my hardware components, whereas before no hardware components would show even after I clicked on "Refresh".

I will be posting my experience on the Malwarebytes Forums in the Malwarebytes for Windows Support Forum later.  I hope that Dell and Malwarebytes will get together and address this issue, since users have no way of knowing that Malwarebytes is preventing certain components of Dell SupportAssist from working properly, since no errors and "blocking" is reported by MBP.  I will be posting there under my usual user name "garioch7".

I hope that this helps someone else, and I extend my gratitude to boheap for his reply which got me motivated to do some testing with MBP.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

5 Practitioner

• 

249 Posts

February 12th, 2020 11:00

I see that two other people have this issue.  I did receive a response from a Dell rep, via PM, and they told me to run the pre-boot diagnostics (F12).  I did and everything passed.  Then I never heard anything more from Dell.  It is clearly a SupportAssist issue that Dell is not addressing adequately, in my opinion.   I am running the latest version: 3.4.1.

Some assistance to resolve the issue would be appreciated.  Why is SupportAssist telling me, in History:

Hardware Scan Result (Manual) - Default scan - Test Not Started - February 12, 2020 3:33:16 PM

Thank you and have a great day.

Regards.
-Phil

5 Practitioner

• 

249 Posts

February 16th, 2020 02:00

Update:

I have posted over at the Malwarebytes Forums.  My post can be found here.

Thank you and have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

3 Posts

February 17th, 2020 06:00

Thank you for this, been trying to solve this for weeks now and on my own and with Dell Tech Help, to no avail, and saw your post. All I needed to do was add one folder (C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent), into the Malwarebytes Premium "allow list", rebooted and the Support Assist hardware scan worked.

Regards

Cliff

5 Practitioner

• 

249 Posts

February 17th, 2020 07:00

Cliff:

You are very welcome.  Malwarebytes has opened a ticket on this and are working on a solution.  I provided them with ProcMon files tracing the event.  I added both Dell SA folders because there were two of them.  I did not try to determine which SA folder/process was triggering Malwarebytes.  Thank you for the information.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

5 Practitioner

• 

146 Posts

February 17th, 2020 10:00

We have seen some customers experiencing this issue in v3.4.1.49 with HW Scan going from 0-100 really fast and the results\history show Test not Started. 

According to the PCDr team, the binaries to call HW Test are being blocked by some anti-virus software like McAfee LiveSafe and in some versions of Malwarebytes.  Teams are investigating the issue.

I’ve tested the following workaround
Steps
1. Quit the Malwarebytes (right click and quit) or other type of Anti-virus
2. Open up Services and restart Dell Hardware Support
4. Launch SA and run Scan
5. After scan completes, open Malwarebytes

5 Practitioner

• 

249 Posts

February 18th, 2020 08:00

jbilinski:

I can't speak to the McAfee issue, but with Malwarebytes, there is no need to quit Malwarebytes and leave your computer vulnerable to a malware infection.  All you have to do is add the folder C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent to the "Allow List" in Malwarebytes, under "Settings" and then the "Scan Hardware" component will work properly.

I visit the Malwarebytes Forums daily and have reported the issue to them, and they are working on a fix.  This is just a temporary solution.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

5 Practitioner

• 

146 Posts

February 19th, 2020 07:00

Thanks @garioch7, I saw your response on the Malwarebytes forum and noted the workaround and have also communicated this with the SupportAssist and PC-Doctor teams.  I see Malwarebytes has logged a defect but I’m trying to find out if any actions need to be made on SA\PCDr side.

5 Practitioner

• 

249 Posts

February 19th, 2020 08:00

@jbilinski 

From what I understand, Malwarebytes is treating this as a defect on their side.  If you check my topic over on their Forums, they are asking me to keep them informed of any information I might gather from my topic here in the Dell SAC Forum.  I will update my Malwarebytes for Windows Support Forum topic with your post.

I will respond to your PM next with the requested information.  Thank you and have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

February 19th, 2020 12:00

@jbilinski wrote:

...According to the PCDr team, the binaries to call HW Test are being blocked by some anti-virus software like McAfee LiveSafe and in some versions of Malwarebytes.  Teams are investigating the issue....

@jbilinski:

I have an Inspiron 15 5584  running Support Assist v3.4.1 that came bundled with a one-year subscription for McAfee LiveSafe.  I've removed McAfee from my system with the McAfee Removal Tool MCPR.exe and I don't have my Malwarebytes Premium license activated on this this laptop , but I'm sure there are many other users who have purchased a Dell home computer in the past year who are using McAfee LiveSafe as their primary antivirus.

If this issue also affects users who don't use Malwarebytes Premium v.4.x as their primary antivirus (i.e., with Settings | Security |  Windows Security Center |  Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center | OFF)  I would assume the PC-Doctor team should be taking the lead on finding the fix, regardless of whether Malwarebytes is currently treating this as a defect on their side.
------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v1909 build 18363.592 * Firefox ESR v68.5.0 * Windows Defender v4.18.2001.7 * Malwarebytes Free v3.8.3
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U@1.60/1.80 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

12 Posts

March 19th, 2020 13:00

I just re-read this posting of yours reference listing the folder; C:/Program Files/Dell/SupportAssistAgent into the "Allow List" of my MBAM 4.1.0 app. I don't recall why I hadn't tried this, but it worked. The Hardware scan on the Support Assist app-(recently updated to vers 3.4.5) worked perfectly. The scan only took 5 minutes, instead of the 10min's listed on that feature, but I'm guessing that figure is an estimate, depending on your particular system.  The scan listed what all it was checking-(including a stress test), and then completed. I checked the Scan History, and for the first time since owning this new XPS-(approx. 1 month), it showed a fully completed manual hardware scan-(in green lettering), just like the other scan features which have been working all along. You mentioned in your posting here that this is a temporary solution. By having that folder noted in the allow list, will this in any way be compromising my MBAM security? I've been checking this forum/topic and the one at Dell as well for any updates regarding a permanent software fix, but I haven't seen anything posted so far. Thanks again for you help!!!

5 Practitioner

• 

249 Posts

March 22nd, 2020 09:00

@lmacri 

Just a clarification of your post.  Malwarebytes Premium, not the Free version, does not need to be registered in the Windows Security Center to block the Hardware Scan.  My primary anti-virus is Bitdefender Total Security 2020, and I have Malwarebytes Premium set to "Never Register in the Windows Security Centre."

Malwarebytes Premium will still block the SA Hardware Scan, regardless of whether it is registered in the Windows Security Center.  To solve that problem, until there is a fix, you have to add the folder C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent, to the Malwarebytes Premium, "Allow List" under Settings.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

10 Posts

March 24th, 2020 03:00

I do not have malwarebytes but still have same problem.   hardware scan will not work with SA or on dell.com.   it just sits there saying it is gathering the tools

4 Posts

March 26th, 2020 07:00

I allowed C:\Program Files\Dell\SARemediation and C:\Program Files\Dell\SupportAssistAgent in Malwarebytes and SupportAssist still won't scan hardware, stays on 0%.....SupportAssist  and always has.

10 Posts

March 26th, 2020 11:00

NO I DO NOT.   I JUST USE WINDOWS SECURITY  

No Events found!