Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 17th, 2020 02:00

support assist no longer checking for updates after a failed update

A few days ago support assist offered "OS recovery tools" update. I clicked to update and it failed. Now support assist will no longer scan for other updates. Under "get drivers and downloads" it just says 1 update is available, the only option is "update". when i click update it just lists the "os recovery tools". i've tried several times and it's not goint\g to update that. (i did try someones suggestion to disable antivirus - no joy). Anyway.... I do not need or want the os recovery tools. I just want to remove that failure so support assist will scan for new updates.

5 Practitioner

• 

206 Posts

July 17th, 2020 08:00

Do you have admin right to your system as you mentioned you are not able to see SupportAssist entry under control panel?

Under Apps and Features we have to entries one for SupportAssist application and another is for Microsoft Appx (WIN 10 shortcut).

In case any driver / software installation get failed that doesn't means SupportAssist will not show any other driver recommendation.

When new driver update available for your system then you can see that in SupportAssist but i would recommend you to click on RunAll button instead of running only driver scan.

For cross verification you can for driver update perform below steps:

1. Launch SA UI and click on RunAll button.
  2. Now check how many recommendations you are getting.
  3. Now perform driver scan on Dell Support site https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us?app=products
  4. Navigate to Drivers and Download tab and click on Detect Drivers

once you have both data please share screenshot with me over private message.

Accordingly i'll let you know what we can do next.

5 Practitioner

• 

206 Posts

July 17th, 2020 02:00

Hi alienware17r4,

We have fixed that issue on SupportAssist latest build v3.6.

Please update your SupportAssist from about page and then click on RunAll button on SupportAssist screen.

July 17th, 2020 03:00

The os recovery tools update appeared right after I updated support assist itself. running 3.6.0.97.

5 Practitioner

• 

206 Posts

July 17th, 2020 03:00

please try to get in touch with dell technical support so they can debug this issue and escalate it to the right team.

Meanwhile can you please share the OS recovery version which is getting failed.

Request you to share SupportAssist log file from C:\ProgramData\SupportAssist\Client\Agent\logs\ApplicationLogs so i can debug and let you know in case something else is required from your side.

July 17th, 2020 04:00

the version failing to download/install is 5.1.3.11985.

Don't know if i already have any version of this. There is certainly no link to manually run it. I understand it runs automatically after 2 failed boots.

I created a USB recovery drive when I got this computer, but that was through WINDOWS, not dell.

Don't think i need or want this dell tool. I just want to clear it out of support assist so i can scan for new updates.

I see no way to attach a text file here, The log is over 1500 lines and contains some things I don't think I want to openly post here. what exactly are you looking for? I see nothing helpful in it.

5 Practitioner

• 

206 Posts

July 17th, 2020 04:00

in case you want SupportAssist don't recommend this OS recovery then you need to uninstall SupportAssist OS recovery from control panel or app and features and then click on run all button on SupportAssist UI.

July 17th, 2020 06:00

Support assist os recovery is not listed in in control panel apps. In fact support assist isnt listed there either. support assist was listed in windows settings/apps. It was listed twice with 2 different versions and dates. I uninstalled the most recent (from 2 days ago) which removed both entries. Then I re-installed support assist. I ran it and it worked normally and correctly. It scanned for updates then informed me about the os recovery update. I clicked update but did not check or try to download the os recovery from the update page. Exited support assist and re-ran it. Now under get drivers and downloads it lists the os recovery tools again with no option to scan for new files.I'm really disappointed with dell. Never had a problem with support assist before. i also have alienware update (not sure why I have both, thats how the computer came new) the alienware update also lists the os recovery tools, but it DOES scan for new files. Since this failure 2 days ago I was able to get another(different) update from dell on the web update service.

SO... once you decline an update are you no longer able to use support assist to scan for new updates?

Problem solved--- operator error.

In support assist I have always just clicked on get drivers and updates. I do not wish to run the other options. It seems once there is an update not installed you have to click on run all to update the list. then cancel the other options after it scans for new updates. Never had an update fail before. Tech support helped me out. Although the OS recovery tools still fails to update and they said theres no way to remove that from the list!!! Bummer.

Thank you nikhil. You had it right. yep, Im the admin account. No sign of support assist in control panel, but it was in windows/settings/apps.

Perhaps you know a way to eliminate the os recovery tools from support assist updates in the future?

Everything working fine now, just have to see os reccovery tools listed forever I guess.

July 23rd, 2020 02:00

Thanks again nikhil. I should also thank voice support for the same solution.

Nikhil, can you tell me the name of the executable for OS recovery. Like I said it is not in Control panel or windows settings. It must be able to run before a failure to create recovery media. I still do not want or need it. Not going to install it if I really don't have it. I think the real failure here might be Dell offering an "URGENT" update for something I don't have. And now apparently forever I have that listed in updates and can no longer run just the update part of support tools. Have to RUN ALL and then cancel before it does things I don't want it to do.

1 Message

July 23rd, 2020 05:00

Thanks for the information, Dell. However, I am running the latest Dell SupportAssist v3.6.0.97. I was offered the update for "SupportAssist OS Recovery Tools - - 180 MB - Urgent - Downloaded". The download appears to have completed OK, but installing the update results in an error during "validation".

Please tell us how to remove the problem update files and restore a correctly working update.

DJB

2 Posts

July 23rd, 2020 19:00

StGan_0-1595556598809.png

It's been "Installing" for half an hour. What should I do now? Kill it off? Restart? Wait for something to automagically happen?

2 Posts

July 23rd, 2020 19:00

Having the same problem here, after many many many days of trying. What a software... It's either failed, or it's in "installing" state forever. If I just click on individual update, it will fail. If I click on Run All, then click Update, it will somehow managed to download, then starts installing, then.... nothing happen... just stay on "Installing..."

Dell, please fix this issue or tell us in straighforward steps, how to do this properly. 

July 24th, 2020 02:00

Stgan and djb

You may want to start or find another thread, This thread is marked as resolved. And I (alienware17r4) am not the one to help you. I am having the same problem. I have not even got as far as installing. After clicking update i get a brief burst of net activity and it says validating, then it fails. doesn't even take 2 minutes. i'd know if if was even downloading, it isnt even getting that far.

No Events found!