Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

August 3rd, 2021 08:00

supportassist: will not update

According to dell supportassist, I have 1 critical update and 2 recommended updates that will not install.

error message:  some of the updates could not be installed. See the status column for details.

the exact files are : 

suuportassist OS recovery tools  version 5.4.3.15135

dell update/alienware update application for windows 10     version 4.3.0

intel management engine components installer                    version 2110.15.0.2210

xps8940,  windows 10 (up to date)

How can I fix this?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 8th, 2021 20:00

@danielf  - Did you tell Revo to delete all the "leftovers" it showed you after it uninstalled SupportAssist? Those items would have been shown in bold on the various screens after the uninstall. Some times the leftovers can mess things up.

I'd just ignore the Dell Update recommendation for now. You don't really need it anyway. And you can always check for new drivers manually, using your Service Tag on the support page.

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

August 3rd, 2021 09:00

Do one at a time in this order

intel management engine 

dell update/alienware update

suuportassist OS recovery tools  (will take most of the time) 

If still no go, simply manually install them from support site. 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 3rd, 2021 12:00

@danielf - Are you logged into an account with Administrator privileges?

There can be issues trying to install new versions of SupportAssist and Dell Update "on top" of the old versions. You may need to uninstall the current versions using Revo Uninstaller (free) to make sure they are completely removed. Then download/install the latest versions from the Support page.

And, if the new version doesn't install the Intel driver correctly, you can manually download/Install that one too.

4 Posts

August 5th, 2021 08:00

I recommend you do not use Support Assist, this Dell's software is full of failures and Dell does not care in fix them.

I think the manual option is better, I will try to use it.

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

August 8th, 2021 14:00

I am always logged in as admin and I do not have a microsoft account.  I tried uninstalling supportassist with Revo Uninstaller and then reinstalling.  All ok now except 1 recommended update: dell update / alienware update application for windows 10.

Dell support suggest I try a support assist OS recovery which seems extreme and I am hesitant to continu.

Problems like this in the past usually clear themselves mysteriously after a few weeks, so I won’t do anything else and hope.  Besides,  warranty expires tomorrow. 

• 

25.7K Posts

August 12th, 2021 04:00

Hi danielf, we haven't heard from you since our last conversation. We will proceed towards archiving the case in the next 24 hours. Kindly reach out if you need further assistance.

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

August 12th, 2021 08:00

I did tell Revo to delete all leftovers;  all is ok now except for 1 recommended update (dell recommended / alienware update application for windows 10);  it will not install automatically nor manually, so I will just ignore it since it is only "recommended".

• 

17K Posts

August 12th, 2021 08:00

danielf,

Thank you for updating us on the issue.

Dell-Jesse L

No Events found!