Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 23rd, 2019 00:00

SA, Windows 1903, BSOD

Dell SA causes a BAD_POOL_CALLER blue screen crash on the new Windows 10 1903 update on my XPS 13-9360 (warranty expired on 11/27/18). Uninstalling Dell SA fixes the problem.

1 Message

November 19th, 2019 06:00

Same issue here with Dell XPS 9380, With support assist and windows 10 1903 i get the Bad pool caller blue screen, and once I uninstall the support assist all runs well. I have attempted multiple calls into support and have not gotten any solutions to the known issue. Basically the user must choose to run old versions of windows, or run hardware without automated updates from Dell.

Note, Dell did a remote session. They installed the IRST driver from Intel's site, then installed SA. All working now.

96 Posts

May 23rd, 2019 05:00

i initially posted this in the supportassistant sub-forum as the issue relates to the supportassistant app.
i see it has been moved to the windows general sub-forum, which i feel isn't appropriate.

2 Posts

May 28th, 2019 05:00

Thanks! I had the same problem, uninstalling SupportAssist fixed it for me too.

96 Posts

June 12th, 2019 13:00

just tried to install this again, and it still caused the same windows 10 blue screen error. a poor piece of software that you need to use to check for driver updates that causes that OS to blue screen within 20 seconds of having it installed.

43 Posts

June 14th, 2019 13:00

Hi chencks76,

I had the same crash today after Windows update from 1809 to 1903. My XPS 13 crashes on its own with a BSOD referring to 'BAD_POOL_CALLER' error. I wasn't running SupportAssist. How do you know that it is causing the issue ? I had to restore the previous Windows version.

Thanks,

BR,

EC

96 Posts

June 14th, 2019 14:00

very easy to replicate that support assistant is the cause of the problem (for me anyway).

i did a 1903 upgrade, as soon as it was finished i got the continual blue screen error. uninstalled support assistant and the problem ceased immediately.

afterwards i did a clean install of 1903, everything ran fine until i installed support assistant. the blue screen errors started almost immediately. removed it and the problem went away immediately.

43 Posts

June 15th, 2019 05:00

Hello chenks76,

Thanks for your feedback. I will really push on DELL and Microsoft to fix this issue that is disastrous for users! I am French, so sorry for any bad English in advance. I guess I know why your post was moved to Windows topic: DELL and Microsoft seem to disagree about who is responsible for what. During that time, Customers still face major issues! This can't be understood that this problem is still happening two months after your first post.
Normally, SupportAssist is an APP which is launched and managed by the OS. So, if this APP has a bad behavior, the OS should protect the system and hardware and prevent from crashing. It should stop the APP.
How could you guess that this App was the issue ? Did you investigate the Memory miniDump after the crash ?
I personally preferred to step back to 1809 and ask DELL and Microsoft to fix the issue. But I would need concrete material to discuss with them. I am not skilled enough in software: if you can reproduce the crash and prove from from the memory dump that SupportAssist is the faulty application, I guess this would help a lot. If I uninstall SupportAssist, I won't be able to contact DELL support for the fix anymore. I think that XPS are high quality computers but I am fed up with software issues and messy windows. I tried my best to have an up to date system with the right drivers version, the right OS version… and finally you always end up with a messy thing when using Windows.

Thanks,

BR,

EC.

5 Practitioner

• 

146 Posts

June 17th, 2019 08:00

@chenks76 and @Peter.79

What Models are you seeing this on? 

We've seen a handful of issues come in for customers with models Alienware 17 and Alienware Aurora R8 which are using the following two IRST drivers

Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Driver-and-Management_THVT6_WIN_16.7.9.1027_A03.EXE

Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Driver_60W95_WIN_17.2.6.1027_A03.EXE

Other upgrades of OS 1903 on other models have not reported this issue.  An internal team also tested the above and could not replicate the issue so still gather details.  Feel free to send me a message on your service tag.

2 Posts

June 17th, 2019 08:00

I'm on a XPS 8920 desktop. I would send you my service tag in a PM, but I'm not allowed to send PMs apparently..

96 Posts

June 17th, 2019 09:00

Dell XPS 13 9360.

i can easily replicate the issue every single time, but obviously i don't wan't to keep doing that as it renders the laptop un-usable due to the blue screens every minute!

1 Message

June 17th, 2019 11:00

After doing alot of testing I found the same results.  After removing "Dell Support Assistant" my problems (BSOD BAD_POOL_CALLER) went away.  I have XPS systems it seems to be a common problem.

June 17th, 2019 16:00

I am experiencing the same issue. It appears I'm not the only one.

2 Posts

June 17th, 2019 20:00

Same issue here:

XPS 15 9550. Fresh reinstall of W10 Pro 1903.

System running ok until install of SupportAssist. Immediately afterwards I get a reliable BSOD BAD_POOL_CALLER about every 3-5 minutes after restarting the system. Uninstalling SA resolved the issue.

This is a 100% reproducible error and makes SA unusable.

96 Posts

June 19th, 2019 08:00

@jbilinski you need to escalate this, as this is clearly a widespread replicatable issue.

6 Posts

June 20th, 2019 01:00

We are getting the exact same issue on a Dell Latitude 3300 (i3). We have just purchased 850 so could do with this issue being resolved. Another laptop which is a Dell Latitude 3300 (i5) does not get the issue but everyone of the above BSOD. Could do with the issue being resolved sooner rather than later.

No Events found!