Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Message

July 24th, 2018 05:00

Supportassist give unexpected error

When trying to run this software, it completes the Drivers and Downloads section.  The Scan hardware gives the following error.  I tried restarting the program, restarting the PC, uninstalling the software and downloading a new installer and I still get this error.  It will not run any of the other checks in the program.

Support Assist Client

An unexpected error occurred while running this request.
Close

SupportAssist was unable to complete the requested task at this time.

To retry, close the SupportAssist application and run the task again.

If this problem persists, click the Get Support Tab.

1 Message

July 24th, 2018 12:00

I have the same issue.  it's been happening ever since I upgrade to 64 GB RAM (about a week now).  Funny if they can't handle the RAM.  Running Windows 10 Pro on a Dell XPS 8910.

July 25th, 2018 18:00

Last night, the same thing started happening on my laptop. No related software or hardware changes recently.

XPS L521X

Memory : 6 GB

Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz[Cores 2] [Logical/Core 2]

Operating System : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 

I've been using Advanced SystemCare Pro for several years now on this laptop and my Windows 10 desktop, which essentially does the same thing. So I'll be uninstalling SupportAssist if Dell doesn't fix this soon.

3 Posts

July 27th, 2018 19:00

Same issue here.  It runs the Drivers & Downloads successfully.  When it gets to the Hardware Scan, I get the error, "An unexpected error occurred while running this request."  Not a lot of detail on what's causing the error or how to fix it.

July 30th, 2018 14:00

Same here, Dell, we've got a problem. (But as I am waiting for a sound driver fix since 2014 I don't think I'll hold my breath.)

Support Assist Client

XPS 8700

Memory : 16 GB

Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz[Cores 4] [Logical/Core 2]

Operating System : Microsoft Windows 10 Home

4 Posts

July 31st, 2018 12:00

Same here on my Inspiron 7547. Suddenly about 2 weeks ago I wanted to optimize my system proposed by Dell Assistant and I could run all the other items except " Hardware Scan". It used to work perfectly. 

9 Posts

August 8th, 2018 06:00

I too have been getting this error message in SupportAssist for a couple of months now. At first, the program would hang at 97% completion of running Scan Hardware, and I was forced to close it. Now it will not run Scan Hardware at all. It will run the other 4 tests individually without problems. For Scan Hardware, it simply says an unexpected error occurred and the program will close. I am not having any hardware problems or issues that I am aware of, and I keep my PC up to date. I have tried Uninstall/Reinstall of Support Assist without success. I wish Dell would address this issue. From my standpoint, the problem seemed to start around the time of the release of Windows 10 Creators Update in the spring. To add to the misery, SupportAssist keeps dinging me in my Notifications to Optimize My PC, which I cannot do because of this issue. How does one turn off that specific notification?

Equipment: Dell Inspiron 5558 laptop, running Windows 10 Pro, 8 Gb memory, Intel i7-5500 CPU

4 Posts

August 8th, 2018 14:00

Exactly same problem. I can run the other tests, cleanup, etc but when I try with the Hardware Test, it gets stuck at 0%  until the error warning appear. And I'm getting mad at getting the "Optimize your PC" notification every time I turn on my laptop. This is really annoying. I just hope and wish Microsoft will fix this issue in the next update. I never had problems with AssistSuport until now. 

August 8th, 2018 17:00

Not specifically related to Windows 10 - I'm experiencing the same issue on Windows 7 Home...

August 8th, 2018 17:00

I disabled those annoying notifications by turning them off under settings.

Settings > Notifications > i want to receive notifications about hardware and software... (uncheck this box)
I also disabled Scheduled Scans

Settings > Scheduled scans > Enable automated system scans (uncheck this box)

Click "Save"

9 Posts

August 9th, 2018 07:00

Thank you TennisAce57. I have done that and it appears to be working. At least, I have not received any of those annoying notifications re:Optimize my PC so far today. Hopefully, Dell will address and fix the Scan Hardware issue in SupportAssist soon, so we can turn our Notifications back on in the future if we want.

8 Posts

August 13th, 2018 04:00

I've been trying to get this fixed since I have owned my Alienware R4 since last November.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled and even tried Dell support a couple times.  Last session they told me to ignore it and wait for a new version of SupportAssist.  Poorly played, Dell...

August 13th, 2018 17:00

Just installed SupportAssist version 2.2.3.2 on my Windows 10 desktop and the scans (including Hardware) ran just fine. However, SupportAssist version 2.2.0.244 is the version that's currently installed on my Windows 7 Home XPS laptop and the Hardware scan still fails. 

I tried running SupportAssist update on the laptop, but I get a "The latest version of SupportAssist is already installed" message, which seems to suggest that version 2.2.3.2 will not run on Windows 7.

5 Practitioner

• 

206 Posts

August 13th, 2018 20:00

Hi BillD3,

Based on your issue statement it's not very clear what's your exact issue. Can you explain your issue so i can assist you properly.

Thanks

DELL-Nikhil K

5 Practitioner

• 

206 Posts

August 13th, 2018 20:00

Hi TennisAce57,

SupportAssist version 2.2.3.2 is also supported on Windows 7 there may be some registry left over issue on your Windows 7 system.

I would suggest you to get in touch with tech support team for this issue.

Thanks

DELL-Nikhil K

August 14th, 2018 05:00

Yes, after uninstalling SupportAssist Agent & SupportAssist using Revo Pro (deleting all leftover registry keys and folders), I was able to install version 2.2.3.2 on my Windows 7 Home XPS laptop.

I will try to run Scan All later tonight...

Thanks for the lead on the leftover registry keys.

No Events found!