Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 16th, 2012 23:00

Difference between R1 and R2 swap in SRDF and Failover of R1 and R2

What is difference between failover of R1 and R2 and identity swap of R1  and R2.

148 Posts

May 17th, 2012 00:00

Hi,

The SRDF swap swaps the personality of SRDF device pairs. The source (R1) device becomes the target (R2) device and the target (R2) device becomes the source (R1) device.

But during Failover of an SRDF device the SRDF links are suspended,the source (R1) device is Write Disabled to its local hosts,The target (R2) device is Read/Write Enabled to its local hosts.

During the Swap the R1-R2 link is still acive where as in failover link get suspended.

148 Posts

May 17th, 2012 05:00

No..You cant perform a swap instead of failback.

20 Posts

May 17th, 2012 05:00

thanks that was useful .

ok let say i have done failover ...now my data is being accesed from R2   and SRDF is suspended.hence i/o happening on R2.

Once is have the production site up i.e R1  is bacl and SRDF resumed .Can i  perform Swap operation here  instead of failback .

thanks

859 Posts

May 18th, 2012 00:00

HI Gungun,

If you are in Failed Over state and you want to do a "swap". Yes that's possible but there are some caveats that you need to keep in mind. Go through SRDF product guide for more details

Note: Personality swap will not switch back prduction on the original R1 but it only makes your R2 a r1.

rgards,

Saurabh

No Events found!