Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 21st, 2013 01:00

IBM VIO server wont login to VMAX

IBM VIO servers using NPIV

Zone completed with 8 wwps(virtual wwns) but  wwns are not showing up in VMAX. All wwns are logged in to Fabric but not into VMAX. So the luns are not visibile to the host. What could be the problem ? Any idea ?

448 Posts

February 25th, 2013 09:00

If you have a Brocade SAN with 8Gb connections make sure the ports on the SAN switch have the portcfgfillword mode set to 3.  I experienced a lot of hot login issues witht he default setting of 0 and when I switched all the ports to 3 they pretty much went away; I had particular issues with AIX.

EMC is now recommending you set Brocade 8Gb switches to mode 3 as the default.  Setting this mode on a port does a quick reset on that port.

Best practice guideline for 8G FC platforms.

For Brocade 8G platforms running FOS v6.3.1 or higher, configuring the fill word to mode 3 typically enables

the port to use the right combination of Fibre Channel primitives to fully interoperate with the attached end

1. device. Once set to mode 3, user intervention is no longer needed to configure the right primitives to enable

the link between the Brocade 8G switch port and the end device.

If a device is known to require mode 2 (IDLE/ARB) then configuring mode 2 on the 8G switch port will activate

the link sooner. If mode 3 is used in this environment, then the port will first attempt mode 1 then eventually

settle to mode 2 which will cause a delay in initializing the port.

If a device requires IDLE/IDLE combination for link initialization then one needs to set the needed port to mode

0 using portcfgfillword CLI.

467 Posts

February 21st, 2013 05:00

Do you have SPC2 enabled on the FA Ports in question or for the hosts specifically?

31 Posts

February 21st, 2013 07:00

Have to check that.  Should  be enabled  on FA level or  for  host/wwn  ?

31 Posts

February 21st, 2013 08:00

My doubt is  whether to enable any specific attributes for VIO servers ? e-lab navigator  and  no where  they mentioned about FA/HBA attributes.

51 Posts

February 21st, 2013 08:00

on the document EMC ®Host Connectivity Guide for IBM AIX P/N 300-000-608 REV 45

you'll find some explanation of SPC2

467 Posts

February 21st, 2013 14:00

I believe you treat VIO servers like AIX servers are far as FA bits are concerned.  I'd suggest doing it for the host/wwn rather than the FA - but that is really up to you..

symaccess -sid set hba_flags on SPC2 -enable –name –type init

or

symaccess -sid set hba_flags on SPC2 -enable –wwn

6 Posts

February 21st, 2013 14:00

Have the system admin run the "oem_setup_env" on the VIO server to gain root access and then have the "cfgmgr" command executed.This should let the Host hba's login to the FA ports .

31 Posts

February 21st, 2013 19:00

Thanks chakrinr

278 Posts

February 22nd, 2013 04:00

Hi Saul,

do you mean that when you created the zones the WWNs did not appear while you were trying to create the Initiator group?

In any case the required bit/flags that must be enabled for IBM/AIX hosts must be:

(EAN) Enable Auto Negotiation; (OS2007) Host

SCSI Compliance 2007; (PP) Enable Point-to-point;

(SC3) SCSI-3 compliance 

; (SPC-2) SPC-2

31 Posts

February 23rd, 2013 21:00

Thanks Ny...I ran in to new problem. Server build is complete and they gave the new wwns (virtual) .. now   the new VIO server wwns are not showing in fabric, even the repective ports are enabled.

278 Posts

February 24th, 2013 04:00

Hi Saul,

it is something usual regarding the VIO server and when new WWNs have been assigned.

The AIX Admin has to "tickle" the VIO server in order the new WWNs to appear on the switches.

No Events found!