Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 1st, 2011 07:00

Snapshots and SRDF/A on a DMX3

Hi everyone,

Our DR design uses SRDF/A and has R1 in Site 1, R2 & RBCV of R1 in Site 2.  Because of the amount of storage tied up in the RBCVs & the fact that they do not protect against data corruption, I would like to go to using TF/Snap instead of the RBCVs. I have confirmed that a DMX3 with Enginuity 5773 cannot do Timefinder/Snaps of the R2 in an active SRDF/A configuration.  That also seems to be the case even if the R1-R2 pair is split.  Having pretty much written that off, I’m looking at another possibility.  Seeing as how we use RBCVs of the R1s, not BCVs of the R2s, can we do remote snaps of the R1s?  It is documented in the Timefinder Product Family PDF with no warnings or footnotes of incompatibilities, so I am hoping that it is a viable solution for us. 

Can anyone confirm if this is a possible design?

Thanks for any help you can give,

Daniel

859 Posts

September 1st, 2011 08:00

When we say snap of R1 at remote site, its actually snap of R2. Not possible in DMX.

859 Posts

HI,

Yes you are right, SNAP of R2 in SRDF /A environment is only possible from Enginuity 5875 and with device pacing enabled. I am bit confused with your statement that you want to take copy of R1 at remote site? Timefinder solutions are only local to the Symmetrix, you cant control remote bcv from r1 site but the flow of the data

Std ====> R1BCV=====>R2======>RBCV

Since you are at DMX there is nothing much can be done to save space.

regards,

Saurabh

32 Posts

Hi Saurabh,

Thanks for your response.  Actually, you can snap a copy on a remote Symmetrix by issuing the symcli commands from a controlling host.  You associate the R1 and the VDEV in a device group and then create the snap pair from the devices in the device group.  The data will actually come from the R2, just as it does in a R1-->R2-->RBCV configuration.  My question is whether this gets around the restriction on snapping an R2 on a DMX-3.  As I'm snapping the R1, not the R2, I'm hoping that it does.

Thanks again,

Daniel

32 Posts

Thanks, Saurabh.   I appreciate the clarification.

Daniel

No Events found!