Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 6th, 2007 10:00

Symmetrix to CLARiiON Replication

I am deploying a Symmetrix array in an existing SAN infrastructure with five CLARiiON arrays in use. The goal is to move production applications to the Symmetrix array and keep development and candidate environments on CLARiiON arrays.

The challenge is that I use clones and snaps on the CLARiiONs to refresh the dev and cand environments on a daily basis, and need a solution that will replicate from Symmetrix to CLARiiON. It could be a clone of a TF/Mirror, TF/Clone, or the source, doesn't matter. I just need to be able to sync up full copies of the production data on a daily basis to the CLARiiON arrays.

Anyone using a solution or process out there to reliably replicate volumes to CLARiiON arrays from Symmetrix arrays?

Thanks,
Aran

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

Symmetrix Open Replicator ..never used it but sounds very good.

2.2K Posts

Hmm.... that has potential. Anyone out there use Open Replicator?

So I could copy a split BCV device created using the TF SQL Integration Module (we are using SQL) to ensure that an application consistent set of data is replicated over? That is another aspect of the soution: I have to ensure that the data is consistent for the application in question across the set of devices that will be replicated.

2.2K Posts

August 6th, 2007 11:00

Undecided yet on the details of the design. Still in the planning phase.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 6th, 2007 11:00

i don't see why not ..are you using RAID-5 BCV or 2-Way mirror /Unprotected BCV ? I would double check on the RAID-5 BCVs ..see if they can be used as open replicator source. Better yet, use clones instead of BCV's ..they are available immediatly ..so you dont' have to wait for full sync to complete.

13 Posts

August 14th, 2007 07:00

Could be a Job for SAN Copy, used this for migrations from Clariion to Symm successfully, not used it to much but may help.

2.2K Posts

August 14th, 2007 08:00

That is the challenge, finding a tool for daily incremental synchronizations of LUNs from symm to clariion. There are some migration options but they are not suited for daily syncs.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 14th, 2007 08:00

unfortunately you can not perform incremental SAN Copy from Symm to Clariion

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 5th, 2008 08:00

Can you confirm that this is still the case? We have a customer scheduled to migrate from a 5830/5267.44.32 to a CX3 array. CS has been asked to assign all require volumes to the FA ports for SANCopy to access directly from the Clariion. I'm not sure what to set the Host flags on the FA port. Any info/ideas would be appreciated.

2.2K Posts

March 5th, 2008 09:00

Yes, incremental SANCopy between a CX3 and a Symmetrix is not an option. SANCopy between a CLARiiON and a Symmetrix will be a full SANCopy job each time. It is fine for a one time migration but for regular sync of data to a CLARiiON it is too time consuming.

5.7K Posts

March 5th, 2008 12:00

I'm not sure, but isn't OR an option (Open Replicator) ?

2.2K Posts

March 5th, 2008 13:00

It was mentioned earlier in this thread but no one has replied that has any practical experience with the product.

Now that RecoverPoint 3.0 is about to be GA we will probably just upgrade our RecoverPoint infrastructure and use that since now you can use CRR and CDP from the same source volume.

2.2K Posts

March 5th, 2008 14:00

Sorry, those are RecoverPoint terms.

CRR - Continuous Remote Replication. Replication of a source volume to a target volume on a remote array on a remote SAN.

CDP - Continuous Data Protection. Replication of a source volume to a target volume on the same or local array on the local SAN.

Version 3.0 of RecoverPoint now has the ability to replication locally and remote from the same source volume. Previously you could only replicate the source volume locally OR remotely.

1.3K Posts

March 5th, 2008 14:00

what is CRR and CDP?

1.3K Posts

March 5th, 2008 18:00

That is equal to CA (Continuous Access;between storage) volume and BC (Business continuity; within the same Storage ) volume in HP/Hitachi stroages.

We have used the source voulme for BC and CA and not heard of any limit with respect to a version unlike the RP

2.8K Posts

March 6th, 2008 00:00

Santhosh AFAIK CA = SRDF (between storages of the same family) and BC = TimeFinder .. RP is a whole different item IMHO :D
No Events found!