Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 6th, 2011 05:00

TimeFinder Clone and TimeFinder Snap

Hello all,

I have a Symmetrix DMX-3 with 3 kind of raid Luns = Raid 5 / Raid 1 and Raid10. I have a license that allows the Timefinder snap and timefinder clone to be used.

I working giving volumes to servers, Example: some clients want to have Raid 5 volumes, others Raid 10 and others Raid1 with diffferent sizes.

In this kind of scenario, how snap and clone can be used ? It's necessary to have a Lun dedicated to Snap / Clone or can work with volumes ?

Best Regards,

jgsilvatel

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

February 6th, 2011 05:00

not sure if understand your question but with snap and clone raid protection of source device is irrelevant. You just need to make sure to build your clone/snap so that it matches your source device in terms of size and construct (if it's a meta).

1.3K Posts

February 6th, 2011 08:00

To perform Snaps (virtual device snap), you need a SAV pool.  The SAV pool protection is independent of the source device being snapped.  However RAID1 is the preferred protection type for the SAV pool.  It is important that the SAV pool be able to keep up with the maximum write rate experienced by the source devices while the snap is active.  Not having enough performance in the SAV pool is asking for trouble.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

February 6th, 2011 08:00

i've been using RAID-5 in my save pool for snapshots of exchange 2007 with TF/EIM, never had any issues and exchange 2k7 is very write intensive.

1.3K Posts

February 6th, 2011 09:00

RAID5 can work well, if you have enough disks and DAs.  You can run into problems if the SAV pool can't keep up with the writes.  RAID1 gives the best destage rate, so the SAV pool is more likely to be able to keep up.

12 Posts

February 6th, 2011 10:00

Understood, but timefinder needs  a LUN to be used as a Target or Timefinder clone / snap can work with     Volume as a target?

Example:

1 - Creating a 20GB volume to be the target from my 20GB production server at the same LUN to work with Timefinder clone or snap.

OR

2 - Creating a LUN to be dedicated to timefinder clone/snap from my production server.

Do you know if situation 1, using volume, is a possible situation or Timefinder clone/snap needs a dedicated LUN ?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

February 6th, 2011 12:00

If you are doing TimeFinder Snap, you need to build a VDEV symdev that matches your source device. For example if have a 32G meta device that is built with 4 x 8G device, then your VDEV needs to be built identically. Same applies to TimeFinder Clone only you will build a regular device (can be any protection).

1.3K Posts

February 7th, 2011 04:00

A VDEV is a cache only Symmetrix device that is presented to the host as a LUN.  It uses a common pool of SAV devices for storage on disk.  The SAV devices are not host visible.  

12 Posts

February 7th, 2011 04:00

And the VDEV symdev is a volume or a dedicated LUN ?

No Events found!