Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 6th, 2008 23:00

VCM/gatekeeper

Why is VCM is visible to the host ? I have check the symmaskdb it doesn't show that VCM device is masked.

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

October 7th, 2008 01:00

That's exactly the reason for having a volume flagged as VCM .. It will be ALWAYS visible, as soon as you create zones for your HBA :-) so you can confirm that zones are working well .. And now imagine you received your brand new DMX4 .. imagine you create zones for your very first host ... How can you manage masking without access to a gatekeeper ?? That's the reason for having a GK flagged as VCM with DMX3 and DMX4 :D

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

October 7th, 2008 06:00

I've noticed you have other threads still waiting for answers .. Can you help us in helping you ?? Can you please explain how can we help you further ??

36 Posts

October 7th, 2008 16:00

i have a query on stefano's answer.

Why do esx host need access VCM Lun?
Currently in my environment all the Esx hosts are down,as the VCM disk has a reservation Lock made by some other host.Vmware team says that if the lock is released their issue might get fixed.How is this possible & how to findout which host has got the reservation lock & how to release the reservation lock

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

October 7th, 2008 22:00

ESX don't need access to VCM .. but since ESX is an host as almost every other host, since any host (as soon as it have zones) can see VCM, thus ESX have zones and can see the VCM.

Did you open a SR on this issue ??

There are different reservations and some of them may be "cleaned" with simple commands while others requires PSE-lab intervention. If you already have a SR, please send me the SR number. If you didn't, please describe the environment (other hosts connected to same storage, storage type)... :-)

Message was edited by:
Stefano Del Corno

131 Posts

October 8th, 2008 03:00

If you have a DMX running 5670 or later and don't perform lun masking from the ESX hosts (and others sharing the same FAs) you could simply unmap the VCM device from those FAs.

See emc128411 for some more details.

M

October 8th, 2008 06:00

Hey Cool

You can restrict VCM access to certain hosts only. For example if you have an ECC server and only do lun masking on the ECC server, then you can restrict access from all other servers from seeing the VCMDB. Please refer to primus solution emc104861 for a good starting point on how to do this

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

October 8th, 2008 06:00

Tonydcdi unfortunatly "VCMDB_restricted_access=ENABLE" isn't still available (obsoleted with 5771).. With recent codes (as stated elsewhere) you have to follow emc128411 :-)

Message was edited by:
Stefano Del Corno

October 8th, 2008 07:00

Thanks for the update/correction stefano. I recently did this for a client that was on 71 code so I just followed the procedures there. This was for openVMS and fixed a few problems they were having

Thanks Again

Message was edited by:
tonydcdi

Message was edited by:
tonydcdi

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

Please note that we are talking about 5771 .. Not 5671 :D .. If you have a DMX3/4 your VCM is a gatekeeper ... if you have a DMX1/2 your VCM is a real device. :-)

Yes it was 5671 - DMX1000... Thanks for clariication

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

October 8th, 2008 08:00

If it was a DMX1000, primus emc104861 still apply .. as you noted :D
No Events found!