Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 21st, 2010 07:00

Vmax disk layout

We just got a new vmax with 3 flavors of disk, (EFD, FC, SATA).  I am new to EMC and was wondering what is the best way to architect how the disk layout is configured for presenting storage to our hosts for optimal performance.  We would like to use virtual provisioning, is there a "best practice" when configuring your hypers to gain optimal performance?  Need some assistance here to understand how tracks and cylinders play into the configuration.

Thanks in advance.

184 Posts

May 21st, 2010 08:00

You may find EMC's new product called FAST a perfect fit for your environment, it automatically tiers your storage as you define.

Refer to the following document on Powerlink: "Implementing Fully Automated Storage Tiering (FAST) for Symmetrix V-Max."

There is a Thin Provisioning Best Practice document on PowerLink that will answer your questions for this product.

184 Posts

May 21st, 2010 08:00

If you cannot find these documents on PowerLink I have both Best Practices documents I can send you if you would like to post your email address or I can put on EMC FTP site.

15 Posts

May 21st, 2010 12:00

Create a standard TDAT size that fits best for all 3 types of storage.

You want your TDAT's as large as you can get them to make use of the the most space in the physical disk (usually 2-4 TDAT's fit in the disk well for mirrored pairs).

Then create three separate pools such as (just examples, name then whatever you want)

shared_450_efd

shared_450_fc

shared_1000_sata

Now create your various TDEVS, these can be any size you wish. For the sake of administration you may want to pick a small handfull of "standard sizes" but it is by no means required.

If you want to use these devices just like regular devices then when you bind them to the pool you will want to "preallocate" the entire lun size.  Otherwise they act like thin devices.

We've been really impressed with virtual provisioning so far.  It's nice to see all disks working together with low overhead.  I don't think I will go back to a traditional "hyper" model.

I'm also not much of a GUI guy and the VP stuff lends really well to scripting and capacity planning.

15 Posts

May 21st, 2010 12:00

That would be great, my email is kbretzius@phlyins.com.

448 Posts

May 24th, 2010 06:00

Virtual provisioning brings in some new terms.  You still have your physical drive configuration of some raid type right; raid-1/5 etc.  On that you then create data devices; data devices are not host presentable and is what you place into the virtual pool.  You then create a thin device which you bind to a pool and that is host presentable.  TDAT I believe they are referring to a thin data device which is the host presentable device.

15 Posts

When you talk about TDATs are you refering to Data Devs?  I am new to EMC and still working out the terminology.

448 Posts

BC

I agree with the preallocation ,which is what I have done, it completely negates the thin "unfriendly" application arguement.  One very nice thng in using the GUI is I created a template for a data warehouse environment and used that in creating the devices.  Once the template is created it you only fill in two fields and are then creating devices; makes a fast process a bit faster.

15 Posts

I agree with that, I don't think this would be beneficial until FAST2 is out.

448 Posts

BooyahI

f he is going to create virtual provisioning FAST isnt going to help him right now; he will need to wait for FAST/VP.  FAST works on the classic lun and not the virutally provisioned (thin luns); please correct me if I have this wrong.

1.3K Posts

TDATs are the data devices that are not host addressable

TDEVs are the virtual (thin) devices that are created and then assigned to various data devices (TDATs) and then the TDEVs are assigned to your host.

15 Posts

May 24th, 2010 07:00

Thanks, that makes sense.  I've only heard them refered to as Data Devs, not TDATs.   So it sounds like for optimal peformance I would only create one thin pool for each flavor of disk that I have.  Then if I have applications or servers we don't want to use thin for we  can still create TDEVs for those and just preallocate the space.  This would set us up to utilize FAST2 or FAST/VP when it's available.

15 Posts

May 24th, 2010 08:00

Correct.  Some things to keep in mind, about thin pools, that may get you the first time....

- You can only meta TDEVS not already bound to a pool.

- Concatenate , don't stripe your metas

- Preallocate in cylinders, not MB or GB.  While both work, using units other than cylinders often results in a mis-match between total tracks and pre-allocated tracks

- Once you create a pool you cannot change it's name

- If you add additional TDATs (not TDEVS) to a pool you will need to re-balance it (symcfg -cmd "start balancing on pool XXXX;")

15 Posts

What's the "good" reason to use a striped meta volume in a virtual pool?  This only makes your disk heads "Sad Pandas".

1.3K Posts

There maybe performance reasons to make striped vs. concatenated meta volumes.

1.3K Posts

May 24th, 2010 09:00

There are characteristics of a Symmetrix logical volume that can limit concurrency when there is locality of reference on a given LUN.  So spreading the workload over more TDEVs can increase performance.  This can be accomplished with host based striping over single TDEVs or striped metas.

No Events found!