Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2010 07:00

device masking

Is there a way in symmetrix to find out at what time a device was masked?

I tried symaudit but it gives a comprehensive data of when masking command was issued but does not associate it with the device ID.

Can we also audit the logs by wwn?

128 Posts

August 10th, 2010 08:00

Yeah I think so too...

One of our other teams had an xl doc which had the information. I am planning to go by that.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Protoss,

From a symmetrix point of view there is no timestamp when a device is masked.

I am not sure about SYMCli, but I don't t think you can audit the log by WWN. I have attached symaudit document for symaudit syntax, maybe one of the symcli experts could comment here?

1 Attachment

16 Posts

Not sure if you can check this with symcli, but on the service processor it will be compressed in a zip file starting with onlupg .zip which will keep all bin files loaded on box. This bin can then be opened by a CE using symmwin and he can identify the changes done. On symcli the config of the box or so called binfile is labeled symapi_db.bin. I'm still trying to find out if there is a location on host with backups of this file and how to query this

Symmetrix Configuration Database File 

A Symmetrix configuration database (.bin) file, which is stored on the host system, contains the physical configuration information of SCSI devices and Symmetrix parameters that define your entire storage complex. This database also stores information about the TimeFinder and SRDF device group(s), and the devices contained in it. 

The Symmetrix configuration database is sometimes referred to as the host configuration database, SYMAPI database (because of how the file is named), or the Symmetrix database file. All of these names are referring to the same Symmetrix configuration database, symapi_db.bin, 

Database File Location 

The default pathname for the configuration database file for the various Operating Systems are: 

UNIX:                /var/symapi/db/symapi_db.bin 

Windows:         C:\Program Files\EMC\Symapi\db\symapi_db.bin 

OpenVMS:        SYMAPI$DB:symapi_db.bin

16 Posts

what is the alternate way? then I don't have too search all the manuals

16 Posts

oops..sorry, I'm thinking of mapping, you are talking about masking...time to pack up and go home

128 Posts

Hey thanks for your input. I found an alternate way out. Thanks for your help.

1 Rookie

• 

137 Posts

August 12th, 2010 04:00

Hello,

if you are masking using CLI commands, the symapi log file will keep a track of all masking commands and the device ID will appear there as well.

I know you've resolved it now, but just to add my twopence worth ..

128 Posts

August 12th, 2010 07:00

We use ECC and SMC in combination with symcli.

Thanks..

Nollaig

08/12/2010 07:37 AM

Please respond to

jive-2070220870-1v3c-2-al6u@emc-developer.hosted.jivesoftware.com

To

Karthik Naidu

cc

Subject

New message: "device masking"

EMC Community Network

device masking

reply from Nollaig in Symmetrix - View the full discussion

Hello,

if you are masking using CLI commands, the symapi log file will keep a

track of all masking commands and the device ID will appear there as well.

I know you've resolved it now, but just to add my twopence worth ..

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on

ECN

Start a new discussion in Symmetrix by email or at ECN

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain CONFIDENTIAL material. If you receive this material/information in error, please contact the sender and delete or destroy the material/information.

No Events found!