Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 31st, 2012 10:00

response times symmetrix

what is the best way to drill down to determin response times of lun on symmetrix?? I have Perf Mgr Analyzr and symcli available. I try to find which lun is attached to which host, lun response times and then i have a 15k spindle on dmx3 how much io can it handle. i suppose this all depends on how many luns carved up from the spindle and how much others being used? do i take all the luns on a spindle and add up to say 140 io's for 15k or?? most of what i see is read io that is raising io on frame and on certain luns, yet don't seem to be a bottleneck yet, no one is shouting about it, yet thinking it may soon since there has been a trend for this increase rising in last 3 months.

1.3K Posts

January 31st, 2012 11:00

I think SMC/SPA is the best method if you want to look into the components that impact response time, from the FA down to the disk.

448 Posts

January 31st, 2012 13:00

As Quincy stated use SMC\SPA for this.  You cannot take just a number of IOPS and apply that as you have to know what type of I/O's are they.  Writes are serviced by cache and destaged to disk later, you then have reads (read hits -data in cache vs. read misses - data not in cache).  I/O size is another factor that comes into play.

SMC\SPA can put a lot of data in front of you in a pretty understandable format.

25 Posts

February 1st, 2012 05:00

thanks all, checking SMC/SPA this AM.

No Events found!