Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2012 06:00

Apply Dell SUU update to R720 servers running ESX5.0U1

On my Windows servers I just mount the DV, run the suu utility and let it update everything. What is the situation with servers running ESX?

I have updated at installation time using the lifecycle controller, but how do you update remotely?

thx 

• 

8.8K Posts

December 20th, 2012 07:00

Gerry,

With ESX and ESXi systems you have to update from outside the host OS.

1. Download either the Build Update Utility (BUU) CDor the Systems Management Tools and Documentations DVD.
    1. *Recommended to use the BUU due to a smaller download size; only use the SMTD if you already have it handy.
  2. Burn the ISO file to a disc.
  3. Place the disc in your server and configure your server to boot to the disc.
  4. When you come to the main screen, select Firmware update.
  5. Then you will come to the Update Creation screen. At this point, take out the disc, and put in the Server Update Utility   (http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555/DriverDetails/Product/poweredge-1955?driverId=1JNR5&osCode=WNET&fileId=3079686305 ) or the CD or USB key that has the repository you created (ask your technician about creating  repository). Then select the appropriate option and click Continue. 
  6. Next, it should analyze your system and tell you what you need to update, and then let you update your system.
  7. After you see the above screen, you should be able to see what needs to be updated and what does not. Once you tell it to update, you will get a screen that shows which updates were applied, and which ones were not.
  8. Now your system is up to date
Let me know how it goes.
No Events found!