Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 21st, 2009 10:00

DMC Install error

I have been trying for several days to install the DMC software, but each time it fails, its perplexing me and my colleagues as we are clueless as to the cause of the problem, from looking at the logs it looks like files are missing, but i dont understand how files could be missing from the DVD that came with a server, I have checked around and cant find anything releating to whats being reported, I have copied the section of the logs where the installation fails and pasted below with the hope someone can shed some light on this problem I am having

Side note: doe the admin account of the software require special priviladges? we just have a normal account on the network for it, would this be causing the problem.

8/21/2009 4:49:44 PM,"Install sessions complete - install session queue is empty.","Symantec.Installation.InstallSessionQueue.ExecuteNextTask","SymantecInstallationManager","26"
8/21/2009 4:49:44 PM,"Dequeued remaining install sessions","Symantec.Installation.InstallSessionQueue.ClearRemainingSessions","SymantecInstallationManager","26"
8/21/2009 4:49:44 PM,"Configuration failure occurred.  Dequeuing any additional queued install sessions.","Symantec.Installation.Context.WizardProcess.InstallManager.configNS_ConfigureFailedEvent","SymantecInstallationManager","26"
8/21/2009 4:49:44 PM,"Exception encountered while verifying webservice: System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at Symantec.Installation.WebServiceFactory.ServiceAvailable(Type t, String webServiceRootUrl)","Symantec.Installation.WebServiceFactory.ServiceAvailable","SymantecInstallationManager","26"
8/21/2009 4:47:59 PM,"Symantec.Installation.ConfigureNS.CreateTasks: the configuration file C:\Program Files\Dell\sysmgt\dmc\[INSTALLDIR]\Config\InventoryPackForServers_Upgrade.config was queued to run but could not be found.","Symantec.Installation.ConfigureNS.CreateTasks","SymantecInstallationManager","26"

793 Posts

August 23rd, 2009 17:00

Thanks for posting!  The installation account for DMC needs to be in the Local Administrators group.  I also recommend an account whose password will not expire. 

Before you try again, first go through the manual uninstall steps for DMC:  http://en.community.dell.com/groups/dell_management_console/media/p/19451341.aspx

If you don't want to go through the long procedure, I suggest reinstalling the OS on the system where you tried to install DMC.  That can go quicker than the ~4 hour manual uninstall.

4 Posts

August 24th, 2009 01:00

I know it needs to be local admin as its a pre-req of the software,

I'll have a check of that link and uninstall it and try again, but this would be the 4th time of trying to install it and all with no joy,

2.8K Posts

August 26th, 2009 08:00

I know it needs to be local admin as its a pre-req of the software,

I'll have a check of that link and uninstall it and try again, but this would be the 4th time of trying to install it and all with no joy,

Hi and thanks for the post.

The first thing I would say is to be sure you have looked at the DMC install guide and the DMC quickstart movie.  These are on the top of the DMC Dell TechCenter page located here.

Also, be sure to look at FAQ  #2.1.

In general, the majority of install problems are related to the CRL readiness check or not having the right admin privileges on the box.  This would include permissions to restart services, create database tables, etc.  These are discussed in the docs above.

Please double check that you disabled CRL checking and we’ll go from there.

Thanks,

Rob

P.S. I generally spend my time over in the DMC specific forum.  So you may consider using this for any new posts.  Thx!

32 Posts

June 9th, 2011 07:00

Is Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 installed? I could not install successfully until I tried it on a 'blank' machine without SP1.

No Events found!