Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 15th, 2015 06:00

OS Driver Pack installation issues (Process Secure Update Failed)

We have an issue when we try to install the 'OS Driver Pack' (R720_Drivers-for-OS-Deployment_Application_HK41X_WN64_15.02.12_A00.EXE) for our Dell PowerEdge R720 Server.

After running the installation and 4 minutes into the process we get 'Update Failure: Process Secure Update Failed.' Restarted the server numerous times. The server is already patched up with the latest bios and firmware.

_________________________________________________________________________________

BIOS Information

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Version 2.5.2
Release Date 01/28/2015

Firmware Information

Name iDRAC7
Version 2.15.10.10 (Build 8)

Firmware Information

Name Lifecycle Controller 2
Version 2.15.10.10

Dell Open Manage Server Administrator v8.1.0.1

__________________________________________________________________________________

However another R720 Server with the same specifications and environment updated successfully but the only difference there was here we had a previous installation and the initial prompt was

The version of this Update Package is newer than the currently installed version.
   Software application name: OS Drivers Pack, 7.2.1.4, A00
   Package version: 15.02.12
   Installed version: 7.2.1.4

Where as in the one where we have the issue, the initial prompt is

No version of this Update Package is currently installed.
   Software application name: OS Drivers Pack
   Package version: 15.02.12

The event log throws this error!

The description for Event ID 6049 from source Dell - System Update cannot be found. Either

the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the

installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with

the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\R720_Drivers-for-OS-Deployment_Application_HK41X_WN64_15.02.12_A00.EXE - SCHS

\schsadministrator
Dell OS Driver Pack, 15.02.12, A00
C:\ProgramData\Dell\UpdatePackage\log\\R720_Drivers-for-OS-

Deployment_Application_HK41X_WN64_15.02.12_A00.txt
Exit code = 1 (Failure)

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

_________________________________________________________________________________

We have tried all means and are currently unable to solve this issue. Has anyone come across the 'Process Secure Update Failed' and managed to solve it. It would be much appreciated!

3 Posts

January 29th, 2016 15:00

Hello I just had similar issue and found another post where a gud guy nicknamed joblink posted a solution, it worked for me, I hope it works for you.

en.community.dell.com/.../19648154

34 Posts

February 20th, 2016 22:00

en.community.dell.com/.../joblink found the answer:

JOBLINK WROTE THE FOLLOWING POST AT 11 NOV 2015 12:15 AM:

"Fixed it by going into the lifecycle controller

Reset & Re-Purpose

Reset the: OS Drivers & the Lifecycle controller settings/ logs."

Reset & Re-Purpose, and choose to wipe everything and uninstall everything.

Will need to reinstall OS Collector, Diagnostics and OS Driver pack.

August 15th, 2015 06:00

Could some one please help...

1 Message

August 17th, 2015 08:00

Hi there,

we also have this issue. unfortunately Dell dont have any information on this issue. i logged a case with dell as 1 of our M620 blades was suffering from this issue. they replaced the Mainboard, i rebuilt the OS and still the same issue. as per dell support, I downgraded the LC firmware and iDRac firmware and tried ALL of the OS deployment package versions and they all state PROCESS SECURE UPDATE FAILED.

just my 2 cents.

August 18th, 2015 10:00

What's strange though, it works on the other R720, and it has the same bios, firmware and iDRAC and all the other updates. Yet it does not work! But I do remember that we had an issue with the R720, not sure it was the same one and it was also a board replacement.

I'm not sure if there is a connection with that and this update...

34 Posts

September 5th, 2015 16:00

Same issue on a Dell R520. 

34 Posts

September 5th, 2015 18:00

I was NOT able to get past the error:

"Update Failure: Process Secure Update Failed."

When trying both:

-bash-4.1# ./R520_Drivers-for-OS-Deployment_Application_6MNTV_LN_14.11.02_A00.BIN -n -f -q 

and

-bash-4.1# ./R520_Drivers-for-OS-Deployment_Application_FXMYH_LN_15.02.12_A00.BIN -n -f -q           

I still got the error. (the -n -f switches didnt help, just tried them).

What I did was to go into the lifecycle controller on my R520 and have the Lifecycle controller download and install the OS driver firmware which was listed as version "0".

This ended up working and took about 5 minutes once the update started. 

Then it showed the correct version (15.02.12) as "Current"

however, upon a cold restart, it fell back to version 0 and was back to being broken

This is should be addressed by Dell ASAP. I've tried all the usual tricks to get the OS driver pack firmware resinstalled and its stuck. 

This problem started while running all the updates for the R520 on this ISO:

dell.app.box.com/BootableR520/1/4114974887

. Seem like 15.02.12 is a bad update and bonks the OS drivers.

34 Posts

September 7th, 2015 20:00

Can someone from Dell chime in here. This is happened across multiple machines R520, R6xx, M6xx, R720, and its happening to users both on windows and linux and the Lifecycle Manager update is not working.

This is something Dell should chime in on with urgency. 

34 Posts

October 7th, 2015 20:00

I had the same issue today, I tried the upgrade again after updating to the latest iDrac for the R520 - 2.20.20.20 , I also updated the NIC firmware, the Diagnostics and the SAS RAID controller (H710 mini). I tried after all of these updates and a reboot to account for them and the update for the OS driver pack failed again:

bash-4.1# ls

R520_Drivers-for-OS-Deployment_Application_JVN7M_LN_15.07.07_A00.BIN  screenlog.0

bash-4.1# ./R520_Drivers-for-OS-Deployment_Application_JVN7M_LN_15.07.07_A00.BIN -q

Collecting inventory...

Running validation...

OS Drivers Pack

No version of this Update Package is currently installed.

Software application name: OS Drivers Pack

Package version: 15.07.07

Executing update...

WARNING: DO NOT STOP THIS PROCESS OR INSTALL OTHER DELL PRODUCTS WHILE UPDATE IS IN PROGRESS.

THESE ACTIONS MAY CAUSE YOUR SYSTEM TO BECOME UNSTABLE!

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Update Failure: Process Secure Update Failed.

I had to return to the ESXi as my maintenance window had ended. 

So again, all updates work except the OS driver pack even with the latest iDrac firmware installed. We should get an update from Dell on these forums.

No Events found!