Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 20th, 2015 02:00

R630 IDRAC update package fails on Linux

I have seen this many times, the IDRAC update doesn't work lately from Linux, I have to resort to the web interface to apply it. My machines don't run OMSA, just a plain Scientific Linux 6.6. All other update packages work fine, but with IDRAC I get this message:

Collecting inventory...
Running validation...

iDRAC

The version of this Update Package is newer than the currently installed
version.
Software application name: iDRAC
Package version: 2.15.10.10
Installed version: 2.10.10.10

Continue? Y/N:y
Executing update...
WARNING: DO NOT STOP THIS PROCESS OR INSTALL OTHER DELL PRODUCTS WHILE UPDATE
IS IN PROGRESS.
THESE ACTIONS MAY CAUSE YOUR SYSTEM TO BECOME UNSTABLE!
................................................................   USB Device is not found
..................................................................   USB Device is not found
.................................................................   USB Device is not found
Failed to access Virtual USB Device

iDRAC

Any idea on how to resolve this?

33 Posts

December 1st, 2015 01:00

I have solved this with the help of my colleague, as the update was working for her and not for me. The difference was the locale setting, her system is set to English while mine is set  to German. This setting is forwarded over the ssh connection to the server and the iDRAC DUP doesn't work with the German locale:

# sh iDRAC-with-Lifecycle-Controller_Firmware_VV01T_LN_2.21.21.21_A00.BIN -q
Collecting inventory...
Running validation...

iDRAC

version.
Package version: 2.21.21.21
Installed version: 2.20.20.20

Executing update...
IS IN PROGRESS.
.................................................................   USB Device is not found
..................................................................   USB Device is not found
................................................................   USB Device is not found

iDRAC

# locale
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
# LC_ALL=C sh sh iDRAC-with-Lifecycle-Controller_Firmware_VV01T_LN_2.21.21.21_A00.BIN -q
Collecting inventory...
Running validation...

iDRAC

version.
Package version: 2.21.21.21
Installed version: 2.20.20.20

Executing update...
IS IN PROGRESS.
..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
The update completed successfully.

This LC_ALL=C to sanitize the environment should be part of the DUP anyways.

• 

8.5K Posts

July 20th, 2015 10:00

Hi,

Is there anything attached to the virtual media? You may want to detach any media and see if that work. Doing a racadm racreset prior to the install may help. You may also want to try and mount the temp usb device for copying the file run this command prior to running the update. ln –fs /proc/mounts /etc/mtab

33 Posts

July 21st, 2015 07:00

Hi Josh,

I have tried all your suggestions of no avail. There was nothing attached to the virtual media. After a racadm reset and after symlinking mtab, there's still the same error message.

• 

8.5K Posts

July 21st, 2015 09:00

Can you try to boot to our live image and do the update? So we can make sure that it is not something that is distro specific causing it? http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=CWF92&fileId=3431135544&osCode=W12R2&productCode=poweredge-r630&languageCode=EN&categoryId=DI

33 Posts

July 22nd, 2015 00:00

Hi Josh,

yes, the update is fine from CentOS 7.0, but not from Scientific Linux 6.6. I haven't tried in CentOS 6.6 or even Red Hat Enterprise 6.6 though.

• 

8.5K Posts

July 30th, 2015 10:00

It is possible that it doesn’t work with scientific linux as that is not a validated distro.

33 Posts

September 11th, 2015 04:00

I still have this problem with all 12g and 13g machines I have tried. I don't know if this could be a Scientific Linux problem, the update should detect it as Red Hat, as that is what /etc/redhat-release is saying.

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

February 8th, 2022 08:00

How did you check the local settings? also, are you saying the solution is it prepend the command with "LC_ALL=C"  i.e. the command line format becomes  "LC_ALL=C " ? 

That part wasn't clear.

1 Message

July 13th, 2022 04:00

I had same issue with R720. Command $ locale shows local setting of time, but solution is to run $ LC_ALL=C sh -q . Shell executes these two commands, so if you first execute only $ LC_ALL=C and then $ sh -q  it might works as well. This works only in this instance of shell, if you exit this shell you have to execute $ LC_ALL=C again.

No Events found!