Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2012 10:00

Unable to Generate CSR - Error Message Using RACADM

I am having a problem generating a CSR with the iDRAC 6 using racadm.  Here are the relevant commands from my script:

racadm config -g cfgRacSecurity -o cfgRacSecCsrKeySize 2048

racadm config -g cfgRacSecurity -o cfgRacSecCsrCommonName %computername%.rc.corp.yyz.org

racadm config -g cfgRacSecurity -o cfgRacSecCsrOrganizationName "YYZ Worldwide"

racadm config -g cfgRacSecurity -o cfgRacSecCsrOrganizationUnit WSTS

racadm config -g cfgRacSecurity -o cfgRacSecCsrLocalityName ORyan

racadm config -g cfgRacSecurity -o cfgRacSecCsrStateName TX

racadm config -g cfgRacSecurity -o cfgRacSecCsrCountryCode US

racadm sslcsrgen -g -f tempcsr.txt

The process is failing on the last step using sslcsrgen.  Everything that I can find online shows that the syntax is correct.  The error message that I get is “unable to generate csr” so not very helpful. 

This only occurs using RACADM - when we use the iDRAC web interface to generate a certificate, it works fine.

Any ideas on what's going on here?

March 15th, 2012 13:00

Hi Kevin,

What system model are you using and can you tell us the BIOS, iDRAC and racadm versions?

March 16th, 2012 15:00

Chris - the system is a PowerEdge R710.  It has BIOS version 3.0.0, iDRAC 6 version 1.85 and RACADM version 6.5.0 (Build 867).

Some additional news to report - the problem appears to be resolved.  When we modified the script to include the cfgRacSecCsrEmailAddr command - something which is supposed to be optional - it worked.  Not sure if this is a bug within RACADM v 6.5.0 or what, but it does seem "fixed" now.  

March 21st, 2012 11:00

Hi Kevin,

It turns out that later versions of iDRAC changed the requirements for CSR generation. For best practice, all fields need to be populated to request CSR.

No Events found!