Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 27th, 2018 19:00

mount remote usb key with two partitions via idrac 9

Hi,

I have a usb key with two partitions; one partition has bootable image files and the other partition is used to hold extra payload. When I plug the usb into the server, everything works fine. The server is Dell PowerEdge R640 with iDRAC 9 enterprise. I'm wondering if I can mount the usb key remotely from my workstation via the iDRAC virtual console.

I plug the same usb drive to my workstation (win10). Two new disk drives show up (D:/ and E:/) since the USB key has two partitions. However, on the iDRAC virtual console, it looks like I can only mount one disk drive as a removable disk to the remote server.

Does anyone know how I can mount both partitions to the remote server? I'm OK with creating two ISOs, one for each partition. But similarly I can only mount one ISO as CD/DVD to the server.

Thanks very much!

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

June 27th, 2018 21:00

You can only mount one iso file at a time using iDRAC Virtual console. You can explore below two option to get two separate image mounted together to host using iDRAC

1. Create 2 image of your drives, one in iso format and one in img format. Now you can mount both iso and img file same using iDRAC Virtual Console. You can use "Map CD/DVD" option to mount iso file and "MAP Removable Disk" option to mount img file
  2. If you have vFLASH SD card on the system. You can create 2 partition with each iso files and connect to the host same time.

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

July 12th, 2018 08:00

Yes. you can download Linux utilities from below location

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=F20VM 

Once extracted you can go to rac folder and install all rpms to get these utilities.

These utilities are supported in 

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7
Novell SuSE Linux ES 11
SUSE Linux ES 12

5 Posts

July 11th, 2018 11:00

Hi @DELL-Shine K Mounting the virtual media from the idrac virtual console worked. Now I'm going to use a script to achieve the same. Do you know if there is any idrac api for me to achieve the same workflow as what the idrac virtual console can do? I.e., I want to use the idrac api to (1) mount a iso as a virtual media, (2) mount a usb disk from my laptop as a removable disk to the remote server and (3) set the next onetime boot device to the virtual media.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

July 11th, 2018 19:00

Yes. You can do these operations using DRAC Tools provided by Dell. You can download latest DRAC Tools from here. Once installed you can use VMCLI and Remote Racadm utility to perform these operations

VMCLI : You can use this utility to mount Virtual Media and USB. Note : You can connect both CD and USB together in same command

Remote Racadm : You can use remote racadm command to set one time boot.

5 Posts

July 12th, 2018 08:00

@DELL-Shine K Thanks for your information. Are there vmcli and racadm binaries that can run on linux OS? The link you sent is only applicable for windows.

No Events found!