Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 22nd, 2017 14:00

racadm remote image from share that doesn't have a username or password

Hello,

I am trying to upload an iso image from an NFS location that does not need a username and password. I am able to upload it via Virtual Console GUI but not with racadm.

By providing a dummy username and password racadm does say that 'Remote Image is now Configured' but it is not.

Is there some other way out ?

Need help. I have tens of servers to build this way.

Command used:

racadm -r $ip -u $user -p $password remoteimage -c -l "//$path" -u $dummy_user -p $dummy_password

• 

6.2K Posts

September 22nd, 2017 17:00

Hello

racadm -r $ip -u $user -p $password remoteimage -c -l "//$path" -u $dummy_user -p $dummy_password

I suggest testing in the GUI. I ran several commands via CLI and received no errors, even when entering random information. If you attempt a remote file share in the iDRAC GUI it should produce errors, and I'm not referring to the console virtual media attachment. That does not function the same way as remote file share.

I'm not sure if it will make a difference, but I would also move the user/pass before the location path:

remoteimage -c -u user -p pass -l "//remote/path/file.iso"

Thanks

4 Posts

September 22nd, 2017 19:00

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it does work in GUI and I have already tested it on numerous servers. The problem is that I have around 200 servers to build for a data center expansion project and opening GUIs , connecting virtual media, selecting and booting from .iso would take me ages and would also delay the project. 

It would have been better if the user and password were not made mandatory for remoteimage upload. 

I have also contacted my local Dell support and waiting for their comments. 

Thanks once again,

AA

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

September 23rd, 2017 21:00

Below is the syntax of racadm command to connect iso image from NFS share to iDRAC

racadm -r -u -p remoteimage -c -u "user" -p "pass" -l :/shrloc/foo.iso

You can skip -u and -p option if user name and password is not applicable

racadm -r -u -p remoteimage -c -l :/shrloc/foo.iso

• 

6.2K Posts

September 27th, 2017 10:00

It would have been better if the user and password were not made mandatory for remoteimage upload. 

Yes, I tried the command without the user/pass for the file share and received an error that it was mandatory. Inputting dummy information should theoretically work, but I am not sure. All it does is send the information with the request. If a user/pass is optional on the server then it will fail authentication if the information is not valid, but if the server does not accept user/pass then it should ignore the extra information.

I would have to set up a test environment to try to find a work-around for an unauthenticated network file share. If I have enough free time I will try to find a way to do what you are wanting, but I may not be able. It may be something I have to do at home because of network security at work. I'll try to think of  way to do it on the lab equipment to bypass network security.

Thanks

4 Posts

September 29th, 2017 07:00

Nope.

-u -p and -l are mandatory options. You cant skip any or it will complain that the missed option is required.

4 Posts

September 29th, 2017 07:00

Hi,

Thanks.

There seems to be no racadm alternative for mapping virtual media the way it can be done from Virtual console GUI. Racadm guide does say that Virtual Media can be configured via iDRAC.VirtualMedia group but I don't see any option of specifying where to get the image from (Map). All I see is enabling or disabling it.

$racadm -r $ip -u $user -p $pass get iDRAC.VirtualMedia

Attached=AutoAttach

BootOnce=Disabled

EncryptEnable=AES

FloppyEmulation=Disabled

KeyEnable=Disabled

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

May 27th, 2021 13:00

Was this ever fixed? Our network team won't allow NFS or CIFS/SMB, only HTTP connections from the IDRAC.

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

May 27th, 2021 19:00

No Events found!