Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 25th, 2009 11:00

Changing the GUID/UUID of a NIC

Good Day,

Does anyone happen to know if Dell (or anyone else) has a utility to change the GUID/UUID of a NIC?  I have a few systems on my network with duplicate GUID/UUID's and as a result have issues with imaging them via SCCM/OSD.

Thanks in Advance!!

Terry

13 Posts

January 5th, 2010 12:00

**RESOLVED**

To anyone who is having the problem, here is the root cause and how to fix it:

The cause of the problem is twofold:

1. The BIOS is not updated to the latest version
  2. The Service Tag has not been entered into the BIOS

On GX270/280s, the SMBIOS GUID is derived from the Service Tag to ensure that the number is unique.  However, when the Service Tag is not present, a generic GUID of 4C4C4544-0000-2010-8020-80C04F202020, rather than a unique GUID which is required by apps such as SMS/ConfigMrg, Zenworks, WDS, etc.

Resolution

Two things need to be done to resolve this:

1. Ensure that the BIOS is flashed to the latest version
  2. Enter the Service Tag in the BIOS

For newer systems, its relatively easy to enter the Service Tag, however for older GX270/280 systems, you will need the CD that came with the shipped motherboard in order to change it.  If you DON'T have it, you can do the following:

1. Download ASSET_A209.COM and SVCTAG.EXE from FTP://ftp.dell.com/utility
  2. Create a bootable Floppy or USB Stick and copy the two files to the root.  For simplicity i rename ASSET_A209.COM to ASSET.COM
  3. Boot the affected machine from the Floppy/USB
  4. Before attempting to setting the Service Tag, type Asset and press Enter.  Only proceed with the steps below if the Service Tag field is BLANK
  5. You will need to type the following to add the Service Tag to the BIOS : ASSET /S
    1. Example: Asset /s 1234567
  6. Before you press Enter, ensure that you have typed in the Service Tag correctly from the front or back of the machine.  Once you have set the Service Tag, you cannot change it again, so I urge you to please read carefully!!!!
  7. After triple-checking that the Service Tag is correct, press Enter then press Y to confirm the change
  8. After the change is done, you can type Asset and press Enter to confirm that the Service Tag is listed correctly
  9. Restart the PC and then attempt to PXE boot the machine to confirm that the SMBIOS GUID has been changed

I stress, please follow these steps carefully, and ensure that you verify that the Service Tag is entered correctly

13 Posts

November 12th, 2009 14:00

Apologies for the bump, but this topic is still relavent.

3 Posts

September 6th, 2011 14:00

This worked for me.

1 Message

October 28th, 2020 07:00

I need help to do this process in my company, but i could not access the FTP. Can you please help me? Luiz Paulo Alves

No Events found!