Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Y

December 14th, 2017 07:00

DHCP Auto Conf for iDRAC9 - How to determine Mac addresses

I'm interested in deploying new 14G Poweredge servers using the zero conf DHCP iDRAC9 option. Usually our Datacenter techs configure iDRAC IP addresses manually via a console or KVM.

I believe I must purchase new servers with the 'zero conf DHCP' iDRAC Enterprise option. I want DHCP to assign specific IP addresses to each iDRAC. How do I obtain the iDRAC Mac address in advance? It is included on the packing slip that ships with each server? Can I obtain it from a Dell database?

-------Yemi

• 

6.2K Posts

December 14th, 2017 14:00

Hello

There will be a sticker on the server with the iDRAC MAC address if you purchase the enterprise license at point of sale. I'm not sure if it will be listed on any other documentation that you will receive.

Thanks

11 Posts

December 14th, 2017 16:00

Hi Daniel.

Thanks for confirming there is sticker on new servers with the iDRAC MAC address. What do you think of this proposed deployment workflow:

1) Purchase new Dell systems with zero touch Auto Config enabled from factory.

2) Technicians rack, cable and label the new systems with hostnames

3) Technicians enter the iDRAC mac addresses for each hostname into DHCP (there is a factory sticker on each chassis with the mac address)

4) Technicians power on the new systems for the first time. The iDRACs are assigned their correct IPs via DHCP

5) Optional step: DHCP entry includes a reference to a server configuration file. The BIOS is automatically configured for the class of server (ie: GPFS, Oracle Database, Batch compute, etc)

-------

Yemi

• 

6.2K Posts

December 15th, 2017 09:00

Sounds fine to me, I would also ask your sales rep if the MAC addresses will be on some documentation that you receive when you make the purchase. I have documentation that states a list of iDRAC MAC addresses is available, but I'm not sure how it is provided. Your sales rep should be able to let you know.

Thanks

No Events found!