Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 19th, 2007 01:00

How to get the DRAC IP address from the localhost

Hi,

We have couple of PowerEdge 1850 servers running custom RedHat Linux images. Our goal is to get the information of Lights Out Management cards installed in the server. I am just wondering is there a way to get the IP address of the local DRAC, lets say using a simple command line utility.

I know that if it was a remote host, we need the IP address to talk to the DRAC. However, for a local DRAC, we should be able to talk to the RAC directly and get the information out of it. I tried to use 'racadm', but it needs the RAC IP address to talk to. For example, in case of HP we can use hponcfg to talk to the local iLO, without giving the iLO IP address. Is there such a thing in Dell.

I am kind of newbie to the Dell Open Manage software and not sure how to get this done. I installed OM software and there are several commands and I couldn't quite get it if I can use those commands for this task. I greatly appreciate if anyone has inputs on this.

Thanks
Tejo

8 Posts

June 25th, 2007 04:00

I believe what you're looking for is this:

[root]# racadm getniccfg
NIC Enabled = 1
DHCP Enabled = 0
IP Address = 192.168.0.120
Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0
Gateway = 192.168.0.1

(Note, above settings are the defaults for DRAC)

You'll need to install srvadmin from the Installation and Server Management CD. Quick way to do this is issue /mnt/srvadmin/linux/supportscripts/srvadmin-install -x as root, assuming the cd is mounted under /mnt.

Sven

3 Posts

June 25th, 2007 19:00

Hi Sven,

Thanks for your response. Finally my question got answered, and my efforts to post in this forum did not go in vain :-)

Yes, this is exactly what I am looking for.

I installed srvadm on my RHEL from the CD.
The 'racadm' still is not able to talk to the DRAC 4

Following is the output of racadm command. All the required processes are also running.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
[root]# racadm getniccfg
ERROR: RACADM is unable to process the requested subcommand because there is no
local RAC configuration to communicate with.

Local RACADM subcommand execution requires the following:

1. A Remote Access Controller (RAC) must be present on the managed server
2. Appropriate managed node software must be installed and running on the
server

[root]# srvadmin-services.sh status
dell_rbu (module) is running
ipmi driver is running
dsm_sa_datamgr32d (pid 1555) is running
dsm_sa_eventmgr32d (pid 1577) is running
dsm_sa_snmp32d (pid 1588) is running
dsm_om_shrsvc32d (pid 1623) is running
dsm_om_connsvc32d (pid 1695 1694) is running
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are there any other processes which should be running for this to work? Do I need to configure any special settings in the DRAC to enable inband communication?

Appreciate your inputs on this.

-Tejo

3 Posts

June 25th, 2007 20:00

I found it. I tried to install some other RPMS manually from the package and then restarted the services and now I am able to get the niccfg ...

I got what I am looking for :-))
-----------------------------------------------------------------
[root]# racadm getniccfg
NIC = Enabled
DHCP = Disabled
Static IP Settings: 192.188.10.99 255.255.255.0 192.188.10.1
Current IP Settings: 192.188.10.99 255.255.255.0 192.188.10.1
------------------------------------------------------------------

Other RPMs I installed are (apart from the ones which the script has installled)
(Note: I have a DRAC 4)

srvadmin-rac4-components-5.1.0-354.i386.rpm
srvadmin-racsvc-5.1.0-354.i386.rpm

Uninstalled mgmtst-racadm-5.1.0-302 and installed srvadmin-racadm4-5.1.0-354.i386.rpm
(first one seems to be incompatible with the second one). The second rpm is the one which actually worked.

Mentioning the exact steps, so that if it might help anyone.

Another interesting thread here on the same lines:
http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2007-January/029322.html

Thanks Sven again. It all worked !!

-Tejo

3 Posts

July 13th, 2016 10:00

Anyone know of way to get the IDRAC IP without racadm?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

July 13th, 2016 12:00

OMSA, but you'd have racadm access if that were installed. Why can't you use racadm? What OS? The only other way is to reboot to CTRL-D/E or scan the network and hope it is on the same subnet. Default is 192.168.0.120.

5 Posts

July 14th, 2016 11:00

Hi,

Is there a way to get such rpms/download a CD for Fedora 24 ? this is what I have on Dell PowerEdge R720 server

Kebvin

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

July 14th, 2016 13:00

Try the Linux version on the Drivers and Downloads site. Not sure if it will run in Fedora.

3 Posts

July 14th, 2016 14:00

It's not that I can't use racadm.. Was trying to perform in band without any dependency.  Recently tried iDRAC to OS pass through, but can't seem to get that working either.  

3 Posts

July 14th, 2016 14:00

Fedora: The community releases are officially unsupported in this repository. You can, however, fake it by editing the yum config and changing "fc" to "el5". This is completely unsupported. If it breaks you can keep all the pieces.

Posted From > http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/omsa.html#Supported_Operating_Systems 

5 Posts

July 15th, 2016 00:00

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.

1) What is exactly meant by "editing the yum config and changing "fc" to "el5" ?

which file should I edit and change ? I assume it is not /etc/yum.conf as there is no "fc" there.

2) I am going to make a try after getting an answer. If it fails and the machine breaks, should installing 

CentOS Linux 7 and then trying to install the software from DELL site work?

Regards,

Kevin

VERSION="7 (C

4 Posts

April 5th, 2022 23:00

sorry for open this thread again, can you show me how to change ip idrac from SM ME ?

• 

3.1K Posts

April 6th, 2022 02:00

Hello @putiah,

Would you mind letting us know more about what do you mean by SM ME?

What version of iDRAC do you have, what is the OS you are running on, what model of PowerEdge server you are using. 

4 Posts

April 6th, 2022 19:00

i try to reach my server with ssh protocol from my router, and when i check the command line it's using Server Management SM, i can't access my idrac ip because mis config with the gateway idrac, how to change gateway of my idrac ?

iam using idrac 8 
using proxmox for VM management  

• 

3.1K Posts

April 6th, 2022 22:00

Hi @putiah,

iDRAC 8 settings should be accessible via BIOS F2. 

No Events found!