Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 11th, 2013 16:00

R610 noise

Hi,

Does anybody had any luck making R610 less noisier? I have one running here that since the moments I turn it on it sounds like a jet.

Fans are always behing 8000RPM. I've read that BMC updates can fix this but I have the SUU iso here and when I run the command "suu -c" it doesn't list any bmc firmware to update, so, anybody has some experience to share please?

Thanks!

548 Posts

September 12th, 2013 01:00

Making Dells 1U rack servers quiet after the fact is not at all easy. It's something that needed consideration during the design phase but it seems this was not a high priority during the design as these machines generally reside in an air conditioned server room and generally not located in the same room as humans... Seems you and I are fringe dwellers in this respect :emotion-1:

Also I'm no expert but the SUU may not contain the latest available downloads since it is a periodic release (every 1/4 i believe?). To find the latest downloads available, you may need to manually check R610 driver and downloads site. But don't get caught up with BIOS/BMC updates to solve a fundamentally noisy design as you may be wasting your time (if your lucky Dell may have played at the fringe of the 'curve' which will have a minimal impact on noise if the machine is lightly configured). There are also a variety of R610 documents worth browsing and they should be available here. I believe the "Technical Guide Book" and "Hardware Owners Manual" are helpful in understanding the limits of your machine.

From a quick web search, the R610 produces 37dbA noise output which is a noisy machine to my ears but seems this is a low output machine by 1U server noise standards (from what i have read elsewhere).

As mentioned before, you may need to state what hardware is installed in your chassis and what sort of environment it resides in and ask those more knowledgeable in Dell 1U PE servers if 8000RPM is an appropriate fan speed in your situation.

And creating multiple posts/threads on this subject will not help to get a quicker response.

24 Posts

September 12th, 2013 09:00

SKYLARKING,

Thanks for taking your time to response. I created 3 posts because each one was a different question.. anyway.

I figured that having the controller plugged in on one of 2 back pci-express slots causes more noise than if the controller is plugged in on the slot next to CPU, seems that the mobo detects a card there and tries to give air flow to that area too.

With a the card plugged in into the first pci-express slot I get 3000/4000 RPM, seems that my BMC is up to date an also the BIOS, so I think my next move will be get a soundproof rack and buy whatever jet-servers I can get...

Thanks!

No Events found!