Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 27th, 2013 09:00

Trouble with jnlp dowload from idrac on Windows 8

Ever since I upgraded to Windows 8 the idrac jnlp has been being downloaded with a long name that hides the extension.   i.e.  viewer.jnlp(pchxxxdb01-con@idrac-DBSDSR%2C+PowerEdge+R810+%2C+User.....)    So basically the file is downloaded but won't launch due to the missing extension.   The file name should only be viewer.jnlp  and nothing more.      The same behaviour is exhibited using IE, Firefox, or Chrome.     Renaming the file to have a jnlp extension gets around the issue but is annoying to do everytime.      Does anybody know if there is a setting in Java or a IDRAC update that will cure this problem?

• 

3.1K Posts

November 27th, 2013 20:00

Hi Gkendall,

Mentioned that it only happens on Windows8 since? Any luck other systems with Windows 7, just curious.

There are some users experiencing the same issue that you are having, but only on Chrome, which is weird that you face on both IE and Firefox too.

There's an update on the iDRAC firmware for this fix on Chrome, probably give it a try. It's for iDRAC7, hope you are using one?

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Let me know how it goes.

December 2nd, 2013 11:00

We updated one of our servers and it seems to address the issue with the comment coming in as part of the name.    It also addressed the problem with chrome not starting at all, well at least on a mac.   I will have to further validate it on other browsers later today. 

• 

3.1K Posts

December 2nd, 2013 18:00

Hi there,

Great, do let us know the outcome. Hope all goes well.

40 Posts

March 1st, 2014 12:00

Joey, I am seeing the same behavior and I am not able to launch the Dell Console. We're @ Windows 8.1. We also get an error message saying that future "jar" files will be blocked in a future release. I went to the link above and apparently the file is no longer there. (We don't have many win7 machines) and this prevents us from connecting to any of our DELL R815's. Any recommendations would be great for customers trying to access the IDRAC6x through web clients.

• 

3.1K Posts

March 2nd, 2014 18:00

Hi Rhoninpowers,

Mind that if you can get a screenshot of the stated error? - I might need to on the support of Windows 8.1 in iDRAC firmware. Have you tried on a Win7 machine, does it work?

Hopefully to see the screenshot.

40 Posts

March 6th, 2014 14:00

sorry for all of the attempts at posting the screenshots.   I have attached a copy of the word document with the images below.  (we've been living with these issues for sometime so really wanted to get your feedback on possible solutions)  We use firefox/Chrome  ....newest version of IE never seemed to work for us...but now nothing is working.

40 Posts

Joey, hopefully you can see the screen shots below..I tried to paste them in twice but they're not showing up when I refresh the page.

40 Posts

[View:~/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/177/idracerrors_5F00_onwin8.1.docx:550:0]

40 Posts

Thank you sir...   (Yes I can open on win7/xp/  even ubuntu)  I thought I saw somwhere on the Dell site that a fix was coming in March for Idrac6 users???

Also can you tell me how to get rid of the certificate errors?  (We don't use certs in our lab environment...and would like to resolve those errors)

Here are the errors I see in order:

40 Posts

• 

3.1K Posts

March 6th, 2014 18:00

Hi Rhoninpowers,

Thanks for the screenshots. There were great, and to know what errors you are getting.

As for the certificates, those are not errors and will not be able to be removed, as these are for network security purposes.

On the last error that you got, it might be from the Java security option. Refer to the link here: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/jcp_security.xml#control panel, and set the security to Medium.

Let me know the out come.

40 Posts

March 6th, 2014 19:00

Joey, thank you so much.... we (initially could not find the Jave control applet...but found it in the control panel. we set an exception for the IDRAC sites) and the window popped up!!! ...we also launched the sites in compat mode for IE 11. thanks again for that one... Re: the cert errors... is there any way we can simply trust those certs or something? (we've tried adding the url's to the trusted/internal sites.

• 

3.1K Posts

March 12th, 2014 02:00

Hi Rhoninpowers,

Sorry for the late reply.

I have tried various servers and systems here at my labs, and seems that by accepting and adding the exceptions to trusted and internal sites, there will be no prompt anymore.

Can you try clearing the SSL state and certificates in IE, and try again.

Let me know the outcome.

40 Posts

March 13th, 2014 19:00

Joey, This is not a big issue for us... (we don't really get a prompt, just a cert error and we were wanting to either trust these certs or find a way to update them so IE would not flag/warn you.) however... you resolved the most painful issue for us. You're a true professional! I wanted to mark this as closed/answered but it does not give me the option. Take Care Joey and hopefully I get someone equal to your talents. (We have some 2950's in our lab and updating them has been very painful) ...and we don't have an IDRAC for them unfortunately. But will deal with that later. Take care!

• 

3.1K Posts

March 13th, 2014 19:00

Hi RHONONPOWERS,

If you have some time to download an ISO, here's the PE2950 Server Updates in ISO, so you can burn image to a DVD and update it at a go.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/poweredge-2950?driverId=D9V9X&osCode=WNET&fileId=3197590144&languageCode=en&categoryId=SM

No Events found!