Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 30th, 2014 15:00

Active stylus! What can it do?

So I was thinking of getting this back in January, but heard of the problems that it had.

A01 was released and thought of buying one, but where out of stock a lot.

Then came A02 and the pen seemed to be fixed.

Now I assume A03 is out?

Now comes my question.

What can the pen actually do?

It can write words nicely.

but can I draw consistently?

can I color/shade in picture easily?

Is it worth the $35 it's priced at?

I just don't want my expectations to be too high and be disappointed, when it's not a wacom stylus.

1 Message

May 30th, 2014 19:00

I just got my 11 pro. bought two of the stylis. neither work at all. every once in a while it shows up, then nothing.

915 Posts

Current version is A02; there is no A03. Write. Draw. Sketch. Color/shade. Use as a screen pointer/stylus.

10 Posts

Current version is A02; there is no A03. Write. Draw. Sketch. Color/shade. Use as a screen pointer/stylus.

Also can I write on pdfs easily?

Like open adobe reader and start writing?

I mostly wanted it to do some worksheets, but printing them over and over seems pointless.

More like quizes.

So does the stylus do the things above effectively.

I'm not a pro, just a casual user.

915 Posts

May 30th, 2014 22:00

Does Adobe READER support writing? I haven't tried using the stylus with Adobe PDF products--haven't had the need to do so. But yes, you can use the active stylus to write with, such as in Windows Journal and Microsoft OneNote.

10 Posts

June 1st, 2014 00:00

Gotta love Dell........ :emotion-29:

Stylus said ships 1-2 business days in cart.

Now it says expected delivery of June 10th! with 1-day shipping.

Not sure if they're back-ordered, but at-least say ships in 1-2 weeks.

After I ordered it now says ships 3-4 business days.

I was expecting it by the weekend.,unless it ships sooner......

915 Posts

June 2nd, 2014 08:00

Mine shipped much earlier than stated; the Dell fulfillment system seems "quirky" at best . . . .

10 Posts

June 2nd, 2014 11:00

Yeah mine shipped and says delivery by Tuesday. Never ordered anything from dell before,didn't know what to expect.

915 Posts

June 2nd, 2014 13:00

Always a surprise here at Dell! ;)

184 Posts

June 3rd, 2014 08:00

Never tested Adobe Reader but the build in Windows 8 PDF reader supports it. I was surprised because I thought I need a special app for PDF annotating. I opened a PDF document and still used my stylus and wanted to scroll and hey I scribbled in the document. :-) There are better apps for it but for basic work the build in works.

915 Posts

June 3rd, 2014 12:00

Thanks for the info.--I haven't yet installed Adobe Reader on the DV8P Desktop but need to do so, especially given this info.!

184 Posts

June 3rd, 2014 19:00

Here is a list of a few PDF readers for annotation (Modern Windows 8).
http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/windows-8/52777-best-pdf-annotation-program-windows-store-print.html
There are a lot for desktop.

2 Posts

June 4th, 2014 15:00

Had my Pro11 for a couple days now and I am not happy at all!!! Not sure what this active stylus is for because it doesn't do <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> ! I already bought an XPS18 and it didn't do what I needed but that was my fault for being ignorant and assuming that a stylus on a tablet that big would replace the mouse but no. Capacitive screens / styli are just basically finger touch and that's all. No mouse button functions. Useless!!! So round two I get this Pro11 with an active stylus and guess what? I still can't do what I need to do because this tablet and the pen don't do what Dell says it will do on their own website! In the Pro11 manual it clearly states you can zoom AND rotate using finger gestures. I can zoom but not rotate. Also, I can't for life of me figure out how to make this pen do anything with the buttons. The section about using the pen in the manual is a vague one short paragraph and that's it. On top of everything else the stylus or the tablet or maybe both don't seem to be working anyway it's inconsistent when drawing lines and cuts out. Since the buttons don't do anything I have to tap the screen instead and sometimes it works and sometimes not. Sometimes I have to tap it or press the stylus down pretty hard to get it to work. So hard I'm afraid of breaking something! Has anyone else tried to get a Dell fixed? It's impossible! The website just sends you around in circles! So what am I supposed to do with this garbage? I've bought two computers now from these turds to do graphic design and CAD and all that's happened is my wallet is $2500 lighter but I'm still tied to my desktop machine! Last Dell.. EVER!!!

No Events found!