Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

5 Posts

November 17th, 2019 13:00

Dell ActivePen PN557W causes screen to flicker when pen touches screen

My company purchased the Dell 7400 2n1 laptop for an upcoming migration, received several Dell Active Pen PN557W stylus' to test. We install our companies image on the laptop(incidentally this doesn't occur with the out of the box image). When we open up a word document and begin to write, every time the Pen touches the screen the screen blinks. This doesn't occur when writing in cursive where the pen doesn't leave the screen but as soon as it does and returns to the screen there is a blink or flicker of the screen. I've installed each of the following drivers with no change in behavior:

ActivePen_APP_Driver_WIN_56DT7_A03

ActivePen_APP_Driver_WIN_204V6_A03

ActivePen_APP_Driver_WIN_204V6_A03

It's more than likely due to our image but just don't know what it could be. Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Solo

1 Message

December 10th, 2019 14:00

We purchased 3 of PN557W pens for our Latitude 7200 2in1's and have the exact same issues. I have also updated to the latest Dell drivers for the pen with no change. Ironically if you use the rainbow color, the eraser or the highlighter in MS Whiteboard the flicker does not occur. I am on Windows 10 rev. 1903. Any ideas on how to fix this? I bought 3 as a POC but will not be purchasing any more unless the issue can be fixed.

December 12th, 2019 10:00

5 Posts

December 14th, 2019 07:00

Parnoshree C,

Nothing in the link relates to the issue both me and Kayakgeek are having. Do you have any suggested troubleshooting steps specific to the blinking issue we are experiencing? 

Thank you,

Solomon 

December 16th, 2019 09:00

Hi naiimean,

Can you check if the screen flickers while you are running LCD built-in self test?  To run the test restart the system using Power+D button.

Regards,

Parnoshree

5 Posts

December 17th, 2019 14:00

Parnoshree,

No it doesn't seem to flicker when performing that test, the screen switches from different colors lasting about a second on each (white, black, red, green and blue).

Thanks,

Solomon

December 19th, 2019 05:00

Hi naiimean,

Then the issue can be with the operating system, we recommend you testing the pen within safe mode with networking to check if the issue persists.

Regards,

Parnoshree

4 Posts

January 8th, 2020 14:00

We were having this issue as well.  It seems to be a Group Policy setting, but I'm not sure which one.  The screen does not flicker on our image when it is removed from the domain.  This should be fun trying to find....

1 Message

March 5th, 2020 14:00

Did anyone happen to find a fix for this?  We're having the same issue, unfortunately. Win10 v1903 here as well. @naiimean 

2 Posts

March 10th, 2020 11:00

Hope this topic is not dead yet, and people are still looking into this. I just encountered this with one of my coworkers, we got about 10 of these units and one user has been using the pen allot. We have noticed the same issue each time the pen is placed to the screen the display will go black then back to normal. After testing on other units I can confirm it happens to them all. A bit of new info. we found is that the touch screen does not cause this only the pen so in Microsoft Word we were able to change the writing mode to just the touchscreen so the pen was able to write flawlessly. Capacitive screen vs Active stylus mode switch may help, but does not solve why using an active stylus (if that's its technology) causes the screen to flash on a Latitude 7400 with a business oriented Windows 10 image. (We are on 1909 ourselves)

2 Posts

March 10th, 2020 13:00

I believe DMS007 was on to something with the Group Policy, will be trying this fix by OneNote Engineer found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/OneNote/comments/czfrui/the_screen_blinks_when_writing/

2 Posts

August 14th, 2020 07:00

Has anyone managed to solve this issue yet? We are having the exact same issue with a company-modifide Win10- 1909 Enterprise Image on Latitude 7210 2-in-1 and in connection with the PN557W as well as the PN579X premium pen. Any information towards a solution is highly appreciated.

2 Posts

August 27th, 2020 08:00

Dear Community members,

we've found a solution for this problem and I thought I'll share our findings.

What worked for us was an adjustment to a Windows Policy setting according to the following article (see "Potential Impact"):

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/security-policy-settings/increase-scheduling-priority

Edit: Its the very same Policy Rule that kytech25 mentioned above.

5 Posts

August 27th, 2020 16:00

Thanks Hobbystas, I will try and implement and report back. 

naiimean

1 Message

October 14th, 2020 02:00

any updates with this? having a similar issue

5 Posts

October 14th, 2020 03:00

Hi Rammi,

it's been awhile since i last checked this site but I can tell you at least in our environment the proposed GPO solution provided earlier in this thread: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/security-policy-settings/increase-scheduling-priority 

Did not work in our environment unfortunately. Almost a year and a half later we are still experiencing screen blinking when using the pen(when pen touches surface of the screen). This occurs in OneNote and Word. The only work around and it isn't really much is to switch pen types to 'pencil' but then pencil doesn't display well and you don't have option for colors. 

Dell unfortunately has provided no solutions to this as far as I know. Early engagement with them didn't result in much just them asking me to run a bunch of diagnostics that provided nothing. I guess the issue isn't happening to enough users to warrant a serious looksie. We're left with a nice to have feature that is super annoying to use. 

MessageBoardCommunity:

If anyone has implemented a solution besides the GPO one and that has worked please let us know.

Thanks,

naiimean

No Events found!