Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 15th, 2010 09:00

Dell Streak Froyo (2.2) Update Frequently Asked Questions

Hi Folks,
I created this FAQ to share updated information and answers to some of the more popular questions we've been getting. Feel free to post any additional questions and/or comments here regarding the Froyo update on the Dell Streak.

Thanks,
Amy

Q. What if I am not a current Streak owner, but I plan to buy from Best Buy or Dell directly in the U.S.? Will Froyo be pre-installed?
UPDATED 4-8-11
A. For those AT&T customers who purchased a Streak from Best Buy prior to the Froyo update, here is a link to download the update if you don’t have it already: http://mobileupdate.dell.com/PackageProductionLocations/Streak_340_14844_31.pkg
Also, Streak with Froyo pre-installed is currently available on www.dell.com in the U.S.

Q. When will the Open Source code for Streak Froyo be available?
UPDATED 12-14-10
A. Source code is now available at http://opensource.dell.com/releases/streak/ .

Q. What if I buy my Streak in Japan, Korea or Singapore? Will it have Froyo preinstalled?
A. Yes, Streaks purchased in Japan, Korea or Singapore will have Froyo preinstalled.

Q. What if I installed a non-Dell version of Android on my Streak? Will I still get the update?
A. No.  The update will only be deployed to Streak units which have Dell-provided versions of Android.

Q. Where is the link to the Dell Mobile Sync software?
UPDATED 4-8-11
A. On the Dell Support Site, under Drivers and Downloads:

Q. What if I don’t want to use the Dell Stage Interface?
A. You can remove it by holding down your finger on the widget shortcut and choosing the delete option.

Q. Can I run the update, even if I don’t get the official notice, by copying the URL from someone else’s device?
A.  No, the final link to download the 2.2 Froyo update will be non-functional unless the browsing session is initiated via the software update mechanism on the Streak device. This is because the software update application in the device communicates with the OTA update server to authenticate the update session.   The link to the update is dynamically set to download the correct software package based on the device that is connecting to the update server. Please wait for the software update notice to display on the device itself, when your version of the software is ready for the upgrade.  You can continue to check for updates manually by going to Menu->Settings->About device->System Updates which will connect to the update server and correctly check for an update.

Q. Why is UK getting Froyo update before US?
A. Technically, that is not true. I'd like to clarify a rumor that got started Friday because of two tweets from UK customers. They had received an update message in error last Friday. I followed up with the team that deploys the updates and found out a small set of devices may have received a “Software Update is available” notice but when they selected it, they were directed to a webpage that indicated “No software updates available at this time.”  Shortly after I sent out the apology tweets to the two users, I got an update from the deployment team apologizing for the brief glitch. They also noted that the issue was fixed and no further devices would receive notices until the actual update was turned on. This OTA update is rolling out in phases to different groups of customers. Although I can’t share the exact scheduling, I can say that this week folks who were part of the US Beta testing group will be some of the first to receive the update. Then, folks in Europe with unlocked devices will start to receive the update.

Q. Why can't I have the EXACT date when my device will receive the Froyo update?
A. This has been a very controlled release and several factors affect the rollout. There are also many reasons for not sharing specific dates. For one thing, the rollout schedule changes periodically. This allows our deployment team to stop and fix issues they may discover. Other factors include logistics and coordination/approvals from third party providers. Appreciate your feedback and patience while we continue to roll the update out.

Q. I bought my Streak Unlocked, I received the OTA Froyo update, but I am getting the redirect error. When will Dell fix this?
UPDATED 12-14-10
A. Here is the latest Android 2.2 update for the unlocked phones that are currently on Dell version 3.09 or 3.15  that fixes the issue with browser redirect errors:

Q. I bought my Streak Unlocked, but have not received the update yet.
UPDATED 12-14-10
A.  Everyone (globally) who purchased an Unlocked version of the Streak should have received an update notice by now. If not, please manually check for your update by either 1. shutting down and rebooting or 2. going to Streak Settings – About Device and selecting System Updates.

3 Posts

December 14th, 2010 06:00

I actually went right back and got my difference paid!  i'm still angry with DELL in the worst way but I like the phone enough to keep pushing to get the update.

16 Posts

December 14th, 2010 11:00

everyone all i can say is stop getting frustrated.  it truely isnt a big deal. if you bought your device from best buy that is awesome. go pay 10 bucks to add the extended warentee. then goto streakdroid and hit the guides. follow the directions for QDLTool Visual Tutorials to a tee. its a video of sorts. anyway when completed you will have changed your baseband to 00 and will be sitting at 2.2 as with all things being said dont worry about brcking your device. take it into bestbuy and swap it out for a new one. and those who "thought" they were buying an unlocked phone. sorry but um thats not even a valid excuse. we all bought knowing it was locked to att cause they offered a 2 year discounted price. that is unless you bought a beta

73 Posts

December 14th, 2010 14:00

January something or other before the 2.2 update is sad news and another major blow to Dell's mobile division. Hope you folks at Dell can get something together. Meanwhile Streak owners can do manual upgrades via detailed instructions on a number of forums. Good luck!!

8 Posts

December 15th, 2010 06:00

I have an O2 Streak (bought just after UK release, so had it since 1.6) and did my 2.1 upgrade by downloading the file to my PC and copying it to the Streak.

Why is the 2.2 Froyo update only OTA and not via the same method?

It's a LOT easier to download the file to a PC and then copy as I've had the Streak break downloads quite regularly, especially if they're large - not to mention that you've not always got wifi connectivity in the office, but have Internet via cable...

As the O2 Froyo update is meant to be happening today, I'd rather do it via PC/Cable than wait until this evening when I get home and use my person wifi - is that possible?

3 Posts

December 15th, 2010 06:00

Guys it has been released to O2

The notification hasn't been sent out yet but if you go to settings>About Phone>System Updates it will update now!

James

December 15th, 2010 07:00

Still my phone showing nothing to update.....

73 Posts

December 15th, 2010 08:00

If you are with AT&T then you have to wait for the official update. Granted the following information is not "official" it looks like it will be January before locked AT&T phones, and all US phones are locked to AT&T if I understand things correctly, get the 2.2 update.

For those who aren’t rich nor tech-savvy and waiting for an official update from Dell and AT&T, some internal e-mails indicated that Android 2.2 will be rolling out the week of January 12. Think of it as a late Christmas present.

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/12/09/dell-streak-android-2-2-froyo-att-january/

You can always be crazy and manually update your Streak via http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=805112

1 Message

December 15th, 2010 08:00

As of today (12/15/10), I have not gotten any update notices nor do I get an active link when I go to the web site for download.  When I go to about device and system update, it sends me to the up-to-date screen.  I'm on Android 1.6. . .

Should I down load the pkg file and install it manually?

14 Posts

December 15th, 2010 09:00

PEN25,

So far this is the best guidance I've seen.  Directing us to Streakdroid.com and use of the QDLTool is really helpful.  I watched the 'video' last night and it is well done.  I think Steve is his name and he does an excellent job of breaking this down into the exact steps and expectations.  I would disagree that I shouldn't be frustrated.  I did purchase this Streak based on the expectation that the OTA version was only four days away when I purchased it.  That was pushed out another couple weeks and now it's been pushed to mid January.   I did know that my version was locked but also did expect the release to be handled much better.  Again, thank you for directing me to Streakdroid as it looks like an extremely helpful website.  I wish you and your family a Happy Holiday season and Happy New Year.

15 Posts

December 15th, 2010 14:00

I have a question about the volume control in Froyo.  It seems that in landscape mode, the volume control is not consistent with the OSD volume with regards to the direction.  Is there an option to retain the one we have for android 1.6?  Thanks.

2 Posts

December 15th, 2010 22:00

I purchased my device from Best Buy and of course, the carrier is AT&T and I have not received the update.

Now, I am told that the service tag is not found and I have talked to two different representatives at Dell that keep telling me that they are escalating it to their supervisors; however, they do not  and I cannot get my device registered or use online.

Help!

6 Posts

December 16th, 2010 14:00

"should have NEVER bought a DELL"?????

because it won't do an unnecessary update?!?!?!?!?!?

go buy an iphone then.

19 Posts

December 16th, 2010 14:00

No software updates available at this time.

That's what I get everytime!!  Where is the update??? this is really getting old!!!

Should have NEVER bought a Dell...

19 Posts

December 16th, 2010 15:00

That's exactly what I'm doing today. No problems with iphone updates...

anyone want to buy a slightly used Streak? of course there is no update and running on old software...

Had this thing for months now... no support what so ever from Dell.

5 Posts

December 16th, 2010 22:00

I feel pretty upset as well, and while I understand that hey this is the way of things in the tech gadget world, the $300 down to $100 in less than 2 months for me really hurts a lot. It's just another slap in the face basically. And sure people can say you shouldn't feel that way. The fact of the matter is that some of us, maybe many of us, do feel that we've been mistreated and badly.

There is another Tech Company that dropped the price of their phone less than 6 months after release from $400 down to $200. Original iPhone ring a bell for anyone? And while they denied denied at first they eventually realized that the folks that bought the phone early were the early adopters and the ones whose loyalty you want. You don't want  to anger them because those are the ones that will buy your devices for a long time if you treat them right. So they turned around finally and gave $200 iTunes gift cards. Maybe Dell should consider doing something similar for everyone that purchased a Dell streak earlier?

That the early adopters will be the last ones to get the updates seems really harsh as well (if I had known it was going to be constantly delayed over and over again for so long I probably would have never bought the thing).

At least some compensation would be nice and I'm willing to bet would go a long way towards building customer good will with Dell. And really, Dell management should seriously consider this. The amount of tech blogs etc. that would share the good news would be everywhere this time of year. Also just think, the early adopter Dell crowd is probably not going to give any good recommendations about the Dell Streak to friends/family/co-workers etc. at this point. However, a bit of good will and that might just turn around and create a number of positive outlooks on the Dell mobile product division in the end. Call it a Christmas present even. Doesn't matter. It would go a really long way to securing future customers.

No Events found!