Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 15th, 2010 09:00

Dell Streak Froyo (2.2) Update Frequently Asked Questions

Hi Folks,
I created this FAQ to share updated information and answers to some of the more popular questions we've been getting. Feel free to post any additional questions and/or comments here regarding the Froyo update on the Dell Streak.

Thanks,
Amy

Q. What if I am not a current Streak owner, but I plan to buy from Best Buy or Dell directly in the U.S.? Will Froyo be pre-installed?
UPDATED 4-8-11
A. For those AT&T customers who purchased a Streak from Best Buy prior to the Froyo update, here is a link to download the update if you don’t have it already: http://mobileupdate.dell.com/PackageProductionLocations/Streak_340_14844_31.pkg
Also, Streak with Froyo pre-installed is currently available on www.dell.com in the U.S.

Q. When will the Open Source code for Streak Froyo be available?
UPDATED 12-14-10
A. Source code is now available at http://opensource.dell.com/releases/streak/ .

Q. What if I buy my Streak in Japan, Korea or Singapore? Will it have Froyo preinstalled?
A. Yes, Streaks purchased in Japan, Korea or Singapore will have Froyo preinstalled.

Q. What if I installed a non-Dell version of Android on my Streak? Will I still get the update?
A. No.  The update will only be deployed to Streak units which have Dell-provided versions of Android.

Q. Where is the link to the Dell Mobile Sync software?
UPDATED 4-8-11
A. On the Dell Support Site, under Drivers and Downloads:

Q. What if I don’t want to use the Dell Stage Interface?
A. You can remove it by holding down your finger on the widget shortcut and choosing the delete option.

Q. Can I run the update, even if I don’t get the official notice, by copying the URL from someone else’s device?
A.  No, the final link to download the 2.2 Froyo update will be non-functional unless the browsing session is initiated via the software update mechanism on the Streak device. This is because the software update application in the device communicates with the OTA update server to authenticate the update session.   The link to the update is dynamically set to download the correct software package based on the device that is connecting to the update server. Please wait for the software update notice to display on the device itself, when your version of the software is ready for the upgrade.  You can continue to check for updates manually by going to Menu->Settings->About device->System Updates which will connect to the update server and correctly check for an update.

Q. Why is UK getting Froyo update before US?
A. Technically, that is not true. I'd like to clarify a rumor that got started Friday because of two tweets from UK customers. They had received an update message in error last Friday. I followed up with the team that deploys the updates and found out a small set of devices may have received a “Software Update is available” notice but when they selected it, they were directed to a webpage that indicated “No software updates available at this time.”  Shortly after I sent out the apology tweets to the two users, I got an update from the deployment team apologizing for the brief glitch. They also noted that the issue was fixed and no further devices would receive notices until the actual update was turned on. This OTA update is rolling out in phases to different groups of customers. Although I can’t share the exact scheduling, I can say that this week folks who were part of the US Beta testing group will be some of the first to receive the update. Then, folks in Europe with unlocked devices will start to receive the update.

Q. Why can't I have the EXACT date when my device will receive the Froyo update?
A. This has been a very controlled release and several factors affect the rollout. There are also many reasons for not sharing specific dates. For one thing, the rollout schedule changes periodically. This allows our deployment team to stop and fix issues they may discover. Other factors include logistics and coordination/approvals from third party providers. Appreciate your feedback and patience while we continue to roll the update out.

Q. I bought my Streak Unlocked, I received the OTA Froyo update, but I am getting the redirect error. When will Dell fix this?
UPDATED 12-14-10
A. Here is the latest Android 2.2 update for the unlocked phones that are currently on Dell version 3.09 or 3.15  that fixes the issue with browser redirect errors:

Q. I bought my Streak Unlocked, but have not received the update yet.
UPDATED 12-14-10
A.  Everyone (globally) who purchased an Unlocked version of the Streak should have received an update notice by now. If not, please manually check for your update by either 1. shutting down and rebooting or 2. going to Streak Settings – About Device and selecting System Updates.

February 3rd, 2011 13:00

so why is it that my wife's iphone gets her updates on a regular intervals?

February 3rd, 2011 14:00

I re-read the email sent to me by Dell and I am reposting the chat log in a manner that I believe they will accept.  Hopefull they will not take it down this time.  Sorry about the misspellings, I was in a hurry and also very frustrated.

Cheers!

02/03/2011 12:31:22PM

Session Started with Agent (NAME OF DELL AGENT OMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF DELL)

02/03/2011 12:31:33PM

Agent (NAME OF DELL AGENT OMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF DELL): "Welcome to Dell US Chat! My name is (NAME OF DELL AGENT OMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF DELL) and I will be your Dell.com Sales Chat Expert. I can be reached at (EMAIL ADDRESS OMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF DELL) or via phone at (PHONE # OMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF DELL). How can I help you today?"

02/03/2011 12:32:47PM

Robb: "I need to know what day the android 2.2 is being released for the Dell Streak 5 that is LOCKED to AT&T... I'm returning the phone and cancelling my subsctiption if there is not a absolute certain date. Please advise."

02/03/2011 12:34:33PM

Agent (NAME OF DELL AGENT OMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF DELL): "hello Robb :) I'm glad that you chatted in today."

02/03/2011 12:35:45PM

Agent (NAME OF DELL AGENT OMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF DELL): "I apologize but we cannot provide an exact date for the upgrade., you will receive an email stating that you can then upgrade the software of your phone."

02/03/2011 12:36:51PM

Robb: "Why can't you provide an exact date when the people at Best Buy are promising it will be released by Feb 6th?"

02/03/2011 12:39:10PM

Agent (NAME OF DELL AGENT OMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF DELL): "sorry but we do not have exact information regarding the updates for Dell Streak."

02/03/2011 12:41:02PM

Robb: "Who is to blame for the delay in the OTA 2.2 update... Dell, ATT or Best Buy? Android 1.6 is unacceptable and the confusion regarding the update makes me want to avoid buying Dell, subsribing to ATT or purchacing at Best buy ever agin... I need answers. Please provide some.”

02/03/2011 12:42:49PM

Agent (NAME OF DELL AGENT OMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF DELL): "have you tried to download it directly from Android market?"

02/03/2011 12:44:01PM

Robb: "Download what from the Android Market?.... the 2.2 update? Where has that been advertised... that is the first I've heard of it. Please give more details."

02/03/2011 12:44:30PM

Agent (NAME OF DELL AGENT OMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF DELL): "Android 2.2 is available over the air."

02/03/2011 12:45:51PM

Robb: "We are talking about the Dell Streak 5 that is LOCKED to AT&T... I can't find anyone that receieved the OTA update for android 2.2. Please give more details."

02/03/2011 12:47:25PM

Agent (NAME OF DELL AGENT OMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF DELL): "yes I'm referring to Dell Streak 5. we do not have the exact date since the update is available over the air."

02/03/2011 12:49:35PM

Robb: "So you are confirming that AT&T customers with LOCKED Dell Streak 5's are already getting the andriod 2.2 update? Why are you the only person that knows that... Bloggers all over the internet disagree with you. Are you certain your are telling me the truth and how do I independantly confirm what you are telling me?

02/03/2011 12:52:12PM

Agent (NAME OF DELL AGENT OMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF DELL): "yes it is, you will get a pop up message that will tell your system is ready for the updates."

02/03/2011 12:53:10PM

Robb: "When?.... Also, I just spoke to Dell on the phone and they don't agree with what you're telling me. Why don't all of Dell's represenatives have the same information regarding the 2.2 update?"

02/03/2011 12:57:27PM

Agent (NAME OF DELL AGENT OMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF DELL): "sorry for the confusion Robb, that's the only info we can provide regarding the upgrades."

02/03/2011 12:57:34PM

Agent (NAME OF DELL AGENT OMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF DELL): "or you can also check this link:"

02/03/2011 12:57:37PM

Agent (NAME OF DELL AGENT OMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF DELL) sends page: "http://market.android.com/"

02/03/2011 12:58:20PM

Robb: "I have another question: How do I update the phone myself without waiting for AT&T ot send the OTA update and not void the warranty or break the terms of my AT&T contract?"

02/03/2011 12:59:06PM

Agent (NAME OF DELL AGENT OMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF DELL): "you can login directly from Android market and download the updates for your phone."

02/03/2011 12:59:31PM

Robb: "I'll try it... but I don't believe you. Sorry."

02/03/2011 01:00:10PM

Robb: "One more question please: What country are you working in? (India, USA, Australia???)"

02/03/2011 01:00:25PM

Agent (NAME OF DELL AGENT OMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF DELL): "I'm in Manila"

02/03/2011 01:01:02PM

Robb: "I'm returning my phone and cancelling my AT&T plan... I hope the weather is nice in Manila today."

02/03/2011 01:01:44PM

Agent (NAME OF DELL AGENT OMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF DELL): "yes the Weather if fine :) sorry for all the inconvenience Robb."

02/03/2011 01:01:45PM

Agent (NAME OF DELL AGENT OMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF DELL): "anything else I can help you with?"

02/03/2011 01:02:16PM

Robb: "As if you were any help to begin with... Enjoy your day."

02/03/2011 01:02:40PM

Agent (NAME OF DELL AGENT OMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF DELL): "Thank you for choosing Dell’s Consumer Solutions Sales Chat."

02/03/2011 01:02:42PM

Session Ended

Dear Admin,

Exactly why is it that posting a chat log (OF FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT THE DELL STREAK 2.2 UPDATE) with your customer service agent in Manila Philippines is agains the Terms of Conditions... when I posted it in the thread regarding FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT THE DELL STREAK 2.2 UPDATE?

RE: J1KELLY's Post

I'm not a member of that site and can't view the .pdf in the thread.  Besides, I don't want to mess with the update unless I have to.

Is it super easy?  Who in Phoenix, AZ will do it for me?  The Dell's going back to Best Buy tonight... then I'm walking over to T-mobile to get signed up for the Samsung Vibrant.  It wasn't my first choice... Sorry Dell. 

Answer quick if you can help.

Cheers!

My last conrtibution to this forum was deleted by the admin.  It was simply a calm written statement made by me indicating my wish to return my Dell Streak 5 and cancel my AT&T plan because I am unsatisfied with the way Dell, AT&T and Best Buy approach customer service.  I also posted my chat log with the Dell represenative from Manila in the Philippines where she contradicted herself over and over and was no help at all.  Apparently this is a violation of the terms and conditions of this site.

That's very, very offensive Dell and I'm glad I decided to return your product.  Good luck with your venture with AT&T and Best Buy.

Cheers!

February 3rd, 2011 15:00

looks like thngs are pushed to the 18th now....

Thanks for the input and links... Your assistance is appreciated very much. 

Dell & ATT should take some notes.  Guess they aren't use to customers with resonable expectations. :emotion-15:

73 Posts

The guide on the XDA forum is the one I followed. But there are others like the QDL tool someone posted in this thread. http://www.streaksmart.com/2010/11/how-to-get-official-android-22-update-on-dell-streak.html

See this one also.

http://www.calazan.com/how-to-upgrade-your-att-locked-dell-streak-baseband-gausb1a111231-build-6601-to-android-2-2-froyo/

The update is easy and doesn't take but 20 minutes or so. I'd argue that it helps if you know your way around a computer but the guides are easy enough to follow that anyone can do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsXgeNqU7xo

And, you should join the XDA forum. Then you can take advantage of all the tools and minds there. If you don't think you are up to doing the update yourself then return your Streak. We will miss you but, hey there is something to be said for the ease of use when a phone like the iPhone is simply turn on and use with no worries.

Good Luck!!

6 Posts

February 3rd, 2011 16:00

iPhone is Apple software and.hardware, updated thru Apple, nothing to do with ATT

Streak is DELL hardware running Android software that is updated exclusively over-the-air (AT&T's air).

1 Message

February 3rd, 2011 17:00

I call at&t and  i get  the unlock code, I  unlock the phone now how do i add  the 2.2 update to my streak ? please help me

February 3rd, 2011 17:00

Then Dell should have picked a better partner than AT&T. I don't care who is delaying the update, dell promised it... I don't have it yet... neither Dell or ATT will publicly address the situation. Neither of these guys are the only game in town. Why put up with it if I don't have to? I'm just glad Best Buy & ATT lets me out within 30 days.

13 Posts

February 3rd, 2011 18:00

Really, Dell/ATT still hasn't rolled out 2.2?

Wow. When the January 12 OTA didn't materialize I got sick of waiting and upgraded mine myself.

I can't believe there are so many people who are loyally waiting for an OTA upgrade instead of just doing it yourself.

It takes about 20 minutes for crying out loud!

73 Posts

There are moderators around here who remove posts for whatever reason. It'd be nice if they would respond and address people's questions about various things in the forum. 

Not sure what part of my post violated the terms so service or whatever but I'll try and post a smaller section of it for your enjoyment.

The Venue android phone has gone on sale unlocked in the US. Since they made no announcement about the Venue's US release (and did the let's release it in other countries first thing), and, with all the stuff Streak owners are going through over the 2.2 update my wife has decided not to even give the Venue a look.

The poor communication with the buying public and customers is turning many people away from Dell. I hope the Streak will last as my primary phone for at least 5 years.

Over the Streak's lifetime I'm sure there will be a number of updates for the Android OS. I fully accept that I will likely have to perform all updates myself because Dell simply can't keep up with them the way the community can.

119 Posts

I call at&t and  i get  the unlock code, I  unlock the phone now how do i add  the 2.2 update to my streak ? please help me

Doesn't work that way.  Your baseband is still the AT&T locked version.  The only way to get 2.2 on your streak is to use the QDl tool to flash to the unlocked baseband from there you can do updates to the latest official Dell froyo release.  check our streaksmart.com or xda-developers.com for info.

No Events found!