Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 15th, 2010 09:00

Dell Streak Froyo (2.2) Update Frequently Asked Questions

Hi Folks,
I created this FAQ to share updated information and answers to some of the more popular questions we've been getting. Feel free to post any additional questions and/or comments here regarding the Froyo update on the Dell Streak.

Thanks,
Amy

Q. What if I am not a current Streak owner, but I plan to buy from Best Buy or Dell directly in the U.S.? Will Froyo be pre-installed?
UPDATED 4-8-11
A. For those AT&T customers who purchased a Streak from Best Buy prior to the Froyo update, here is a link to download the update if you don’t have it already: http://mobileupdate.dell.com/PackageProductionLocations/Streak_340_14844_31.pkg
Also, Streak with Froyo pre-installed is currently available on www.dell.com in the U.S.

Q. When will the Open Source code for Streak Froyo be available?
UPDATED 12-14-10
A. Source code is now available at http://opensource.dell.com/releases/streak/ .

Q. What if I buy my Streak in Japan, Korea or Singapore? Will it have Froyo preinstalled?
A. Yes, Streaks purchased in Japan, Korea or Singapore will have Froyo preinstalled.

Q. What if I installed a non-Dell version of Android on my Streak? Will I still get the update?
A. No.  The update will only be deployed to Streak units which have Dell-provided versions of Android.

Q. Where is the link to the Dell Mobile Sync software?
UPDATED 4-8-11
A. On the Dell Support Site, under Drivers and Downloads:

Q. What if I don’t want to use the Dell Stage Interface?
A. You can remove it by holding down your finger on the widget shortcut and choosing the delete option.

Q. Can I run the update, even if I don’t get the official notice, by copying the URL from someone else’s device?
A.  No, the final link to download the 2.2 Froyo update will be non-functional unless the browsing session is initiated via the software update mechanism on the Streak device. This is because the software update application in the device communicates with the OTA update server to authenticate the update session.   The link to the update is dynamically set to download the correct software package based on the device that is connecting to the update server. Please wait for the software update notice to display on the device itself, when your version of the software is ready for the upgrade.  You can continue to check for updates manually by going to Menu->Settings->About device->System Updates which will connect to the update server and correctly check for an update.

Q. Why is UK getting Froyo update before US?
A. Technically, that is not true. I'd like to clarify a rumor that got started Friday because of two tweets from UK customers. They had received an update message in error last Friday. I followed up with the team that deploys the updates and found out a small set of devices may have received a “Software Update is available” notice but when they selected it, they were directed to a webpage that indicated “No software updates available at this time.”  Shortly after I sent out the apology tweets to the two users, I got an update from the deployment team apologizing for the brief glitch. They also noted that the issue was fixed and no further devices would receive notices until the actual update was turned on. This OTA update is rolling out in phases to different groups of customers. Although I can’t share the exact scheduling, I can say that this week folks who were part of the US Beta testing group will be some of the first to receive the update. Then, folks in Europe with unlocked devices will start to receive the update.

Q. Why can't I have the EXACT date when my device will receive the Froyo update?
A. This has been a very controlled release and several factors affect the rollout. There are also many reasons for not sharing specific dates. For one thing, the rollout schedule changes periodically. This allows our deployment team to stop and fix issues they may discover. Other factors include logistics and coordination/approvals from third party providers. Appreciate your feedback and patience while we continue to roll the update out.

Q. I bought my Streak Unlocked, I received the OTA Froyo update, but I am getting the redirect error. When will Dell fix this?
UPDATED 12-14-10
A. Here is the latest Android 2.2 update for the unlocked phones that are currently on Dell version 3.09 or 3.15  that fixes the issue with browser redirect errors:

Q. I bought my Streak Unlocked, but have not received the update yet.
UPDATED 12-14-10
A.  Everyone (globally) who purchased an Unlocked version of the Streak should have received an update notice by now. If not, please manually check for your update by either 1. shutting down and rebooting or 2. going to Streak Settings – About Device and selecting System Updates.

2 Posts

February 25th, 2011 19:00

I cannot get my phone to update, everytime i launch the update it says some browser had trouble opening, up then the rebooting symbol comes up, and then it begins to reboot, but seems to be stuck on the Dell logo and does not go any further.

Anyone know the cause and/or solution to this problem?

and/or where/who i can contact to help me with this problem. Probably a hardware issue too.

8 Posts

February 27th, 2011 07:00

There are too many issues with this update to go through.  There is definitely a very bad design flaw somewhere.

8 Posts

February 27th, 2011 08:00

It doesn't matter if you actually get it to download.  After about 30 minutes of application use, Android 2.2 on this device either has to reboot or the screen freezes....for whatever reason (the OS).

4 Posts

February 27th, 2011 08:00

Try to do a factory reset then download the update. Back up first.

2 Posts

February 28th, 2011 07:00

Completed the update process with a few hitches, but after a few days experience, I feel the Streak is finally what I hoped when I purchased it  last year.

Connected to my wireless network, I did the download and ran it. Backed up to SIM as recommended first (Nero), then and continued to execute the install. No trouble at all on that, and 2.2 looked great and seemed to be working fine.

Restore Backup, however, seeemed to be having a problem as this operation got real slow around 72%, but I left it alone and it eventually completed. At that point my logs and applications were all present. I executed several and they seemed to be working as before.

At that point, I had no contacts yet so it was time to get sync'ed. That wasn't possible until the appropriate gmail credentials were entered in. Sync still didn't seem to be happening, so on investigation I verified auto sync was turned on. About then I realized there was no 3G, so investigated a bit to find APN's were blank (as noted above). Simply reset these and then thing started happening.

Unfortunately, sync got hung up, spitting out some error message regarding the Calendar. These messages appeared over and over again, and nothing seemed to stop 'em. I entered the error message into Google and found that it was necessary to stop and clear data for one of the Google Services, which I did. That didn't stop the messages and neither did force close, so I had no choice to pull the battery.

On reboot, everything was fine and sync with all contacts, calendar, and the like was complted overnight. Only thing left was to setup the email accounts again (they seem to escape backup) and I've essentially got everything back, with 2.2.

Was definitely painful to wait so dang long, but was worth it! I had relatively frequent lockups in 1.6, I can already tell those are gone and operations are much smoother. Shame this couldn't have been true 4 months ago....

Rich

8 Posts

February 28th, 2011 09:00

I am sending mine back to Dell.  I hope I have as good of an experience as you did with my replacement.  If not, I will back on here to let everyone know about these issues.

Here a question......Could my reboot issues be caused by ATT and not the device????  I am locked into ATT and had to wait for the 2.2 update.

3 Posts

February 28th, 2011 13:00

i wanted to know one thing why i am unable to use rear camera for video calling with fring on my dell 2.2.

February 28th, 2011 15:00

For the most part, the update went smoothly...The only hitches I had were due to not really knowing the OS and having to guess and by golly things. (android newbie here) - I ended up downloading the upgrade package twice, but only cuz I was flying by the seat of my pants and wasn't 100% certain of what I was doing and "lost" the download complete notification...Didn't know how to find and apply it soooo tried again... it just showed status screen for a while then it rebooted. - Um FYI that little lock icon thingy...took me some fiddling to figure out. drag it like the unlock on an iphone - There was a moment of panic when my mobile internet connection no longer worked. Go to settings-wireless networks-mobile networks-access point names...If there are none, hit the menu button and choose reset to default...your connectivity will come back, but I had to wait a bit.. - I had a few seconds of annoyance when I thought that the restoration of the backup (as per the instructions) had lost my contacts. Again due to ignorance on my part. when in contacts, hit your menu button and choose accounts...i chose my gmail account an viola! my contacts were restored - The 'stage' is a little wierd to work with, since in Horiz mode, the edges of the stage portions on either side are in yer way (formatted for vertical orientaion). I got around this by adding shortcuts to the far right of my left stage area and to the far left of my right stage area (so I could use the whole horizontal format..its quirky, but not really a hassle. - Trashing stuff from yer desktop can be an exercise in manual dexterity. On the old OS You could press and hold til highlighted, then delete via the menu. On this the press and hold has to be followed by a drag to a trash can icon (bottom middle of screen). If yer finger isnt in the right spot on the icon, you can't reach the can. - One unresolved issue however... My music files do not appear in the music app...I can browse to music files on my device with quick office and open them that way (They open into the music player and play fine)...How the heck do they get properly registered with the music player? Anybody know?

3 Posts

March 1st, 2011 06:00

Hello,  Just skimmed through the "post"- already found my answer:

Hit Settings:  Wireless & Network Settings, scroll down to Mobile Networks, hit Acces Point Names,

Restore to default- Bingo!- back on!, Thanks everyone-

J.

3 Posts

March 1st, 2011 06:00

Good Morning Amy,

I purchased my Dell Streak back last year from Dell, and it was locked to AT&T-Have had no significant problems-here in NC

Just downloaded the 2.2 update last week- (was doing my daily check- and there it was!)

the instructions on the DELL website worked great!- was waiting for this update for quite some time!

the new Android works great-However one problem if you can help me with- Im only getting WI-Fi- theres no 3G/4G icon, or anything else to show

besides WI-Fi, Calls and messages, no problem- but cannot access the Web/internet unless it is near a WI-Fi-

any Sugguestions?..

Thanx!

3 Posts

March 1st, 2011 09:00

Right, I already fixed it-through the wireless settings- as far as reboot issues, not as of yet.-'Knock on wood"

Only had the update about 6-7 days- so far other than the 3G issue- Its been responding faster, and the apps come

up really quick!- Making phone calls is much easier- Texting, just getting use to it-the placement of the numbers/w the

keyboard-overall no complaints-still a work in progress-trying  to to put it through the 'motions' everyday.

8 Posts

March 1st, 2011 10:00

@Yugo9

Was your original message deleted?

2 Posts

I am having that problem of the device freezing upon reboot and I am with Rogers in Canada. I thought it was a device problema t first, but it doesnt seem like it because many people are having the same problem, while others are able to upgrade. I am going to take mine back to the store i got it from, and get them to get an updated 2.2 dell streak for me. I don't want to deal with the hassel of re doing all this stuff again.

PS. for those who got the update to work on Rogers, how long did it take, and what happened on the screen. For me it shows some error has occured, and without being able to read the message, the phone reboots and then starts with the Dell Logo, and does not get past that stage.

8 Posts

The rebooting happened to me right away.  Hopefully it's not widespread.

March 2nd, 2011 19:00

I have the very same problem, my screen goes blurry so I can't read the error message..but same thing, I hope this can be resolved,

No Events found!