Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 15th, 2010 09:00

Dell Streak Froyo (2.2) Update Frequently Asked Questions

Hi Folks,
I created this FAQ to share updated information and answers to some of the more popular questions we've been getting. Feel free to post any additional questions and/or comments here regarding the Froyo update on the Dell Streak.

Thanks,
Amy

Q. What if I am not a current Streak owner, but I plan to buy from Best Buy or Dell directly in the U.S.? Will Froyo be pre-installed?
UPDATED 4-8-11
A. For those AT&T customers who purchased a Streak from Best Buy prior to the Froyo update, here is a link to download the update if you don’t have it already: http://mobileupdate.dell.com/PackageProductionLocations/Streak_340_14844_31.pkg
Also, Streak with Froyo pre-installed is currently available on www.dell.com in the U.S.

Q. When will the Open Source code for Streak Froyo be available?
UPDATED 12-14-10
A. Source code is now available at http://opensource.dell.com/releases/streak/ .

Q. What if I buy my Streak in Japan, Korea or Singapore? Will it have Froyo preinstalled?
A. Yes, Streaks purchased in Japan, Korea or Singapore will have Froyo preinstalled.

Q. What if I installed a non-Dell version of Android on my Streak? Will I still get the update?
A. No.  The update will only be deployed to Streak units which have Dell-provided versions of Android.

Q. Where is the link to the Dell Mobile Sync software?
UPDATED 4-8-11
A. On the Dell Support Site, under Drivers and Downloads:

Q. What if I don’t want to use the Dell Stage Interface?
A. You can remove it by holding down your finger on the widget shortcut and choosing the delete option.

Q. Can I run the update, even if I don’t get the official notice, by copying the URL from someone else’s device?
A.  No, the final link to download the 2.2 Froyo update will be non-functional unless the browsing session is initiated via the software update mechanism on the Streak device. This is because the software update application in the device communicates with the OTA update server to authenticate the update session.   The link to the update is dynamically set to download the correct software package based on the device that is connecting to the update server. Please wait for the software update notice to display on the device itself, when your version of the software is ready for the upgrade.  You can continue to check for updates manually by going to Menu->Settings->About device->System Updates which will connect to the update server and correctly check for an update.

Q. Why is UK getting Froyo update before US?
A. Technically, that is not true. I'd like to clarify a rumor that got started Friday because of two tweets from UK customers. They had received an update message in error last Friday. I followed up with the team that deploys the updates and found out a small set of devices may have received a “Software Update is available” notice but when they selected it, they were directed to a webpage that indicated “No software updates available at this time.”  Shortly after I sent out the apology tweets to the two users, I got an update from the deployment team apologizing for the brief glitch. They also noted that the issue was fixed and no further devices would receive notices until the actual update was turned on. This OTA update is rolling out in phases to different groups of customers. Although I can’t share the exact scheduling, I can say that this week folks who were part of the US Beta testing group will be some of the first to receive the update. Then, folks in Europe with unlocked devices will start to receive the update.

Q. Why can't I have the EXACT date when my device will receive the Froyo update?
A. This has been a very controlled release and several factors affect the rollout. There are also many reasons for not sharing specific dates. For one thing, the rollout schedule changes periodically. This allows our deployment team to stop and fix issues they may discover. Other factors include logistics and coordination/approvals from third party providers. Appreciate your feedback and patience while we continue to roll the update out.

Q. I bought my Streak Unlocked, I received the OTA Froyo update, but I am getting the redirect error. When will Dell fix this?
UPDATED 12-14-10
A. Here is the latest Android 2.2 update for the unlocked phones that are currently on Dell version 3.09 or 3.15  that fixes the issue with browser redirect errors:

Q. I bought my Streak Unlocked, but have not received the update yet.
UPDATED 12-14-10
A.  Everyone (globally) who purchased an Unlocked version of the Streak should have received an update notice by now. If not, please manually check for your update by either 1. shutting down and rebooting or 2. going to Streak Settings – About Device and selecting System Updates.

9 Posts

January 11th, 2012 02:00

HELP PLEASE...

is it possible to install this update (gingerbread (2.3) update)  on Official UNLOCK version of dell streak 5 in other countries ( Asian Countries) ?

1 Message

April 9th, 2012 08:00

Hi,

I got my dell streak phone gifted from UK, O2 network. I am currently in India got the phone unlocked but unable to upgrade to 2.2 (from 1.6) after the backup process, the screen stays and doesn't move to upgrading the OS to v2.2. I am getting prompts for software upgrade but goes to Dell backup restore screen, even after taking backup, the screen stops there, doesn't goto upgrading the OS. Kindly help. Unable to see the full benefits of v2.2.

1 Message

April 10th, 2012 08:00

I have purchase my dell streak in korea.. Then i try to put passlock on it then later i try to use and enter the passlock i cannot open it anymore. Can u pls help me!!

May 4th, 2012 09:00

hi miss amy. thereis something wrong with my dell streak 5. i think my lcd is bleeding. i am from malaysia and my phone is still under warranty i think. will they send me a  replacement if i call them because i've read in some forums that they immediately sent a new replacement

8 Posts

May 5th, 2012 02:00

Vicky,

Your carrier will probably replace it with a different phone unless they have remaining stocks of Streaks - Dell stopped making the Streak a while back, so there are no new ones

To be honest, you'll be better off changing to a different phone anyway with the lack of support that Dell supplied this phone - if given the option, go for a Samsung Galaxy S2, because you can get an upgrade to Android ICS on it, which gives you the latest features of the OS, although if you want to wait until the end of the month and don't mind paying for the upgrade, get a Galaxy S3, it's a MUCH higher spec than the Streak

Overall, I doubt you'll get a replacement to a Dell Streak as they're not made anymore, and if you're still under warranty then you're probably right at the very end of it...

May 5th, 2012 06:00

Thanks a lot. The problem is that my dad bought the device last June but when I check online it says warranty over. I really don't know what to do. Furthermore, I did not buy the streak from any carrier

May 6th, 2012 05:00

Time to give up on Dell, folks. I'll never buy another Dell product, but that's just me. I have an old iphone now, but I like the look of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. If you like the larger screen, go with the Galaxy Note.

8 Posts

May 8th, 2012 00:00

Time to give up on Dell, folks. I'll never buy another Dell product, but that's just me. I have an old iphone now, but I like the look of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. If you like the larger screen, go with the Galaxy Note.

Once I went to Android I'll never go "backwards" to iOS, the iPhone is just too lacking in features (although the OS is very smooth - functionality beats "smoothness" in my book)

I've had a Galaxy Nexus since launch (last November), and while it's a brilliant device, I wouldn't recommend one with the S3 coming out this month - another of the ICS phones is the HTC One X, which is a nice device, but missing a few of the ICS features, like their replacement of the camera doing less than the ICS camera does (not to mention lacking "face unlock"), and NOTHING new! The Galaxy S3 is out in a couple of weeks and is brilliantly specced - I'm yet to play with one to make sure it's not missing the features that I find useful/fun

As for your "nothing from Dell", I would limit that to "nothing that Dell has been producing for at least 2 years" - their laptops, desktops & towers are still well made, it's just that their support for the Streak was PATHETIC at best, and a joke at worst, not to mention the GENIUS idea of producing the Streak 7" with exactly the same resolution as the Streak 5" - so all that screen real estate, but looking REALLY grainy because it should have the same or better PPI, but making it a lot worse by lazy design (not to mention missing the phone features of the Streak 5")

I've got to say that the accessory support for the Streak was better than most phone companies, with the dashboard mount being SUPERB (we still use the Streak as our satnav (with CoPilot), and with the leather case with stand being good, but the stand should have been built into the case or battery cover, because it's a superb size to watch video on, and having it laying down/resting on something is just annoying

Overall, don't put Dell down for all product, when just one division (the one that made/supports the Streak) screwed up beyond belief - not to mention the complete lack of support on these forums by Dell themselves, and their PATHETIC upgrade to Android 2.2, removing a TON of useful features, just for a minor upgrade, with no downgrade path!!!

April 16th, 2013 18:00

i have dell streak 5 worked fine till i let the battery go dead now it stuck olpn dell logo,please he

No Events found!