Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 4th, 2015 18:00

Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 Crashes during sleep

Just got a dell venue 11 pro 7140 and did a clean install of all the latest drivers and bios as per the website. Getting this issue where when the tablet goes to sleep and after a while of inactivity, it will not longer power back up. No response from power button or windows logo. Only solution so far has been for me to disconnect the battery and then everything resets. 

I'm getting the following errors in eventviewer from what i presume is before the crash

ACPI Error. Event ID 13

The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified timeout period. This may indicate that there is an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS is accessing the EC incorrectly. You should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS. In some situations, this error may cause the computer to function incorrectly.

any Ideas??

When the issued first came up the tablet felt really warm like it was still draining battery but wont charge. Nothing responded until i disconnected the battery.

July 6th, 2015 04:00

Did you disable connected standby in registry?

I had this problem yesterday after disabling connected standby. The tablet went into sleep and there was no way to get it back on. Fixed it by removing the back and disconnecting the battery.

After enabling connected standby everything was fine again.

I was using newest BIOS A07

6 Posts

July 6th, 2015 05:00

looks like it is enabled already. the tablet can go to sleep and wake up fine, it just when it sleeps for a while that everything freezes,maybe 2hours?

828 Posts

July 6th, 2015 10:00

Are you running the A07 BIOS?   

828 Posts

July 6th, 2015 14:00

Are you using hibernate?   We technically don't support hibernate and I am aware of this causing the same issue for some who had tried to use that sleep state.    

26 Posts

July 6th, 2015 14:00

I'm having the same (or similar) problem.

I've had my 7140 for a few weeks, and it has operated reliably.

I recently disabled connected standby and installed BIOS A7.

Just now, the screen went dark unexpectedly. I cannot get it back. If I hold down the power button for around 20 sec, then release it, then hold it down again, the tablet vibrates after a few seconds, but the screen stays dark. If tap the windows button, I immediately get a short vibration. I can do this repeatedly, and I get a short vibration each time, but the screen remains dark.

6 Posts

July 6th, 2015 15:00

On BIOS A07,

I will check the hibernate settings when I get home and report back

July 6th, 2015 17:00

Perfectly reproducible for me..

BIOS A07 and Connected Standby Off

(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power set to 0)

After entering sleep state either by choosing sleep from charms or pressing power button there is no way to get the tablet turn on. Pressing the power button vibrates for a short time but nothing happens.

Screen test (Power button + volume low) works. The only way to get the tablet working again is to remove the back cover and disconnect the battery and/or disconnect the CMOS. Did not know what did the trick but I am not going to find out again ;)

26 Posts

July 6th, 2015 18:00

I'm not using hibernate.

My 7140 appears to be permanently bricked.

I have disconnected both the main battery (just disconnected the visible connector; do I need to remove the screws?) and the small round battery and left them disconnected for half a minute. When I reconnect the batteries, nothing I do will get the screen to turn on. I can get it into the state where it well vibrate momentarily every time i touch the Windows logo, but that's the only response I can get out of the device.

I have tried simultaneously pressing the power button and the volume-low button, but that apparently does nothing.

Does anyone have any idea what I could do to get my 7140 un-bricked?

26 Posts

July 6th, 2015 20:00

I came back to my tablet after it had been sitting for a while, in what I thought was a bricked state, and it was displaying a pre-boot screen. Hitting the volume-up key allowed it to boot, after which it resumed as if it had been hibernating.

Note: I have never enabled hibernation. When I went into the registry to re-enable connected standby, I noticed that, in the same group of registry keys as CsEnabled, there is a key named HibernateEnabled, which is set to 1. I'm certain I have never touched it. Perhaps it is set in order to support fast boot?

After turning off connected standby, updating to BIOS A7, and turning connected standby back on, my 7140 developed an odd sleep/resume behavior. To resume from sleep, I had to hold the power button down until I felt vibration, then wait a few seconds, and then I would see the dell logo in a white circle, before it resumed - as if it were hibernating every time it went to sleep. This behavior persisted through a power-off/power-on cycle. Doing a restart (charms/settings/power/restart) appears to have restored it to near-instantaneous sleep and resume.

Anyway, I seem to have a functional 7140 again.

26 Posts

July 7th, 2015 00:00

I experimented with Connected Standby some more. When connected standby is enabled, resume-from-sleep is very quick. When it is disabled, resume-from-sleep requires holding down the power button until the tablet vibrates and then waiting while the dell-logo-inside-white-circle is displayed on the screen for a few seconds.

6 Posts

July 7th, 2015 14:00

Turned off hibernate in registry in the same place as the CSEnabled setting was. Appeared to have fix the issue. Left the tablet alone for an hour and started back up normally. Left it overnight but did not boot in the morning and i thought oh no its happened again. But  the battery was flat. So it looks to have discharged about 65-70% overnight in sleep? Is that normal?

26 Posts

July 7th, 2015 20:00

I've seen many reports of rapid power drain during sleep, and I'm experiencing it myself, both with and without Connected Standby enabled.

I think it may, at least partially, be caused by running my Crucial MX200 m.2 SSD, with Link Power Management disabled. I intend to experiment with turning on LPM at some point, but I'm trying to focus on one problem at a time.

6 Posts

July 8th, 2015 05:00

Same thing happend again. Hibernate was turned off via registry. went out and came back after 3 hours and tablet would not wake up. Same ACPI error and had to reset by taking out battery. 

26 Posts

July 8th, 2015 09:00

I have a bunch of those ACPI 13 errors in my log as well, but they occurred before I disabled Connected Standby for the first time, and they didn't cause any user-visible problems.

1 Message

August 18th, 2015 05:00

I had this same "crash during sleep" problem with my Venue 11 Pro 7140 (Late 2014).

The problem existed with Windows 8.1 and still after upgrading to Windows 10.

I am using newest BIOS A07.

I found pieces of information in this thread and other discussion forums, and seem to have some kind of solution that fixed, or at least improved, the situation.

1)Run regedt32 and navigated to

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power"

disable following by setting value from 1 to 0:

• CsEnabled
  • HibernateEnabled

2) Download the latest wifi driver from dell and extract it in a local directory.

3) Delete the existing (or uninstall) the wifi driver on your Venue.

4) Reboot.

5) The reboot should reinstall a driver automatically- in most cases.

6) Then go to the wifi driver properties and select upgrade driver for the wifi device but do this manually- meaning navigate to the directory where you extracted the latest wifi driver (step 2).

7) Go to network and sharing center, click on change adapter settings then right click on the wireless adapter listed click on properties click on configure once you go to power management tab disable the check box which says '"Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

8) Reboot; then re-establish a link to your access point.

…according to some reports the driver update might even help with battery drain problems. This I have not yet verified myself. However I am happy with no more crashes during sleep.

Please comment if you had some help with this.

Added comments Aug 20, 2015

In my case it seems that I had most benefit from performing steps 2 - 8.

I am now testing returning both (CsEnabled and HibernateEnabled) registry values from 0 to 1 as described in step 1. So far so good…

P.S. Using "Balanced" power plan (in Control Panel/Power Options). Also have "Sleep" selected in what the Power button does and what closing the lid does.

P.P.S. I have noticed that if I do a long press (about 3-4 second) on the Power button, I then get the "Slide to shut down your PC" option (exactly the same functionality as with my Lumia 930 Windows Phone). Nice feature!

Added comments Aug 20, 2015
In my case it seems that I had most benefit from performing steps 2 - 8.
I am now testing returning both (CsEnabled and HibernateEnabled)  registry values from 0 to 1 as described in step 1. So far so good…
P.S. Using "Balanced" power plan (in Control Panel/Power Options). Also have "Sleep" selected in what the Power button does and what closing the lid does.
P.P.S. I have noticed that if I do a long press (about 3-4 second) on the Power button, I then get the "Slide to shut down your PC" option (exactly the same functionality as with my Lumia 930 Windows Phone). Nice feature!
No Events found!