Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 21st, 2015 20:00

Dell Venue 8 3840 Extremely Slow

I received the Venue 8 as a Christmas gift. I like the size and the screen and thought this was suppose to be decent in the speed department. However mine is extremely slow. Last night I didn't a half hour trying to scroll through facebook. After restarting the tablet, I spent another half hour trying to get to the Dell support page. When I push the back button it can take anywhere from 10 seconds to 2 minutes for it to work. Any ideas on why it is so slow? Anything I can do? 

28 Posts

May 9th, 2015 23:00

I had the same issues since I got the tablet nearly a year ago.

Dell, after having me reset it twice, had me send it in and seemingly sent it back after doing nothing.  I have disabled/uninstalled all of the not-needed apps, including what is probably the Dell Venue 8's worst app- Chrome.  Still slow.  And the keyboard not showing up was also a big issue.  I have almost no apps on there, and somehow 740 MB is being used, with 200 MB free.  The listed running apps add up to 88 MB of usage...where the other 550 MB is I have no clue.

I let it go for a few months, until the laptop it came with became too heavy for me to carry around.  Now that MS Word is available for x86 processor tablets, I got the Dell Bluetooth Keyboard for it just now.

Then I remembered why I had stopped using the thing...and called Dell.  A supervisor eventually told me that this is a complaint that was brought to them numerous times, and he has brought up the subject with his seniors a few times, too.  He says they are working on it.  That's the only answer I think we'll ever get out of them, after going through a reset and disabling apps. 

Possibly there will make an Over-The-Air update for this widely-known issue.  I don't think the tablet will ever get Android Lollipop 5.0 or higher, since it is barely capable of running KitKat.  But hopefully there will be an update to actually fix this issue. 

5 Posts

May 10th, 2015 12:00

I bought before 2 Month .

I still fighting with them .. for the same issue .... I updated on from last 2 weeks my TAB is in service centre.

They are saying , we are rectifying the issue . Day before yesterday  I got msg from them as your issue has been resolved. I went there and check the RAM uses was the same around 800 MB RAM , which taking by inbuilt apps. so and even inbuilt apps. are not working properly .

And they are always mentioning issue has been resolved and no hardware issue found . They  are not thinking that we have buy the TAB for Apps , if apps are not working then what we will do with hard ware . And they are not ready to replace , refund or Solve the issue .

I feel we have wastage our   16000 rs . 

Total issue with RAM nothing else .

28 Posts

May 14th, 2015 18:00

Compare it to another 1 GB tablet and you'll see what I mean.

Something in Dell's Android tweaks is filling up the RAM. 1 GB is able to run Windows 7 and 8....Way more stuff to run than Android KitKat.

This is a software issue, which means an update can fix it.  When Dell will send out this update is what I'm asking.

2 Posts

May 15th, 2015 04:00

The venue 8 always have high use of memory even after a reboot with all app close. Compare with a Samsung tab 3 that only use around 450Mb of memory after a reboot, the dell venue 8 uses around 700Mb. 
This left us with low memory and a very slow device especially doing web browsing.

28 Posts

May 15th, 2015 11:00

Exactly.  Is Dell even reading these posts??

9 Posts

May 15th, 2015 12:00

Dell is not going to do anything to resolve this low memory issue, because the memory is part of the main board.  Replacing the main board with more memory is the only way to resolve our problem.  Its not a software or Firmware problem

Secondly,  this Tablet is discontinued.  Its replacement dose have TWICE the memory and it works Awesomely.

Having less software\programs loaded is only temporarily fixing the symptom and does not totally resolve our problem. Having twice the memory fixes the issue, but Dell will not do that for us.

We are stuck with the Tablets and its poor performance.

Thats the truth

28 Posts

May 15th, 2015 12:00

Again, the issue is NOT the RAM, as that amount can run Windows computers, which is much more power-consuming than Android.  It is what is taking up the RAM with all of the apps disabled.  Dell's version of Android has some junk software in the system that we as consumers can't fix.  However, Dell can.  As stated before, other 1 GB tablets run way better than this.

As far as I know, the Dell Venue 8 3840 is the current Dell Android tablet.  That is what I have.

I think is is wrong to ignore a horrible bug that all of their customers are dealing with.

28 Posts

May 15th, 2015 14:00

I agree with you, except for that last bit.  But before I get to that- 1.56 GB of RAM used?  If it's 700 something MB of RAM being used on the last gen tablets, why is it that twice the amount is being used on the next gen?  Very curious about that.

Now about the last part: This thread is pretty old, meaning the first post was when this tablet was fairly new.  You are absolutely right about Dell not caring, but it's because once we bought the tablet and kept it for 30 days, they got their money and no longer care at all.

9 Posts

May 15th, 2015 14:00

The tablet before, and after, this one have 2GB of RAM and works great.

Dell recognized the 1GB is problematic so they went back to the 2GB for the next gen tablet.

Yes, some windows tablets can run with 1GB, but Android won't let Dell reduce the RAM usage.  Dell made a mistake thinking Android could be ran with only 1GB.

Dell knows the low memory is the problem with their Android software, but cannot change Android's software.  The next gen tablet has the same software and 2GB ram.  Guess what?  Just after a boot up it has 1.56GBP of RAM used.

Anyway you look at it... the tablet is useless!  RAM or Android's fault... Dell sold the tablet to us so its their responsibility to make it right.  Right?

The unhappy owners of this tablet should be given credit towards a purchase of a new tablet with 2GB of RAM.

Im not arguing at you.  I agree with you.

Dell's failure to correct this issue is totally wrong and should not be tolerated.

Dell does not care because this tablet is discontinued. Or we would of had a response before now.

102 Posts

May 15th, 2015 22:00

What is extremely slow? I picked up one of these tablets today, and don't seem to be having any problems, it is a downgrade from my 3830. However it performs rather well so far. I have had one OTA upgrade, I then rooted the device, built insecure boot.img and built CWM 5.1 recovery for this device.

Next start removing apps, I don't use.

102 Posts

May 16th, 2015 00:00

Tablet still running good, I removed around 25 apps, 12 or 13 system apps, the rest user apps, All apps I removed were already installed on the tablet, I have no need for them.

42 Posts

May 16th, 2015 02:00

Have you installed any games? How about using chrome? There are certain apps and definitely games that cause the tablet to run slow. When I first got the tablet I put a lot of the apps I use on my phone on the tablet. The tablet then became *** and extremely slow. Then the tablet would not boot. I had to do a factory reset. After that it seems to work fine but I cannot put all the apps I want on it. It just can't handle it. Now I also have an Acer tablet that has only 1gb of ram and it was fine. 

102 Posts

May 16th, 2015 05:00

Have you installed any games? How about using chrome? There are certain apps and definitely games that cause the tablet to run slow. When I first got the tablet I put a lot of the apps I use on my phone on the tablet. The tablet then became *** and extremely slow. Then the tablet would not boot. I had to do a factory reset. After that it seems to work fine but I cannot put all the apps I want on it. It just can't handle it. Now I also have an Acer tablet that has only 1gb of ram and it was fine. 

I do use chrome, no I don't game, I could see how games and a lot of apps could slow the tablet down, my 3830 has twice the ram and twice the space plus GPS, this tablet while newer is a step down from 3830 not a step up.

But to be fair the tablet seems to work fine for me, the lack of GPS though might cause me to return the tablet, I use a lot of GPS stuff on the go, so I would need to take two devices with me instead of just one.

I may end up returning this tablet, I bought it cause of the price, now kind of having buyers remorse.

Returned tablet a few hours ago.

42 Posts

May 17th, 2015 14:00

Does anyone know if the venue 8 3840 is getting lollipop? Dell Terry? 

1 Message

June 16th, 2015 08:00

Mine works pretty well, if I just turn off networking ... which is sad, because my 1GB phone works just fine when it's networking.

My take on the issue is that yes, 1GB is limited, but the real problem seems to be that its paging, and evidently paging to slow memory.

Why other 1GB devices are able to manage paging, but not the Dell is a mystery.

Live and learn.  When they start giving away devices, that should be a sign they're trying to unload them.

No Events found!