Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 2nd, 2014 12:00

Dell Venue 8 Pro 3G - Sleep / Wake Up Issues

Hello

A few days ago I bought Dell Venue 8 Pro 3G tablet. I have all available Windows Updates, latest drivers and BIOS from "My Dell". Unfortunately my tablet has some issues with sleep mode.

1. Only "Shutdown" and "Restart" options are available in "Power" drop-down menu in the charm-bar. "Sleep" is not available and I can't turn off the screen by pressing Power button on the right side of tablet. I did some tests using powercfg command line tool and I found, that the mobile driver (or hardware) prevents going to sleep mode: If I disable the driver, I can put my device into sleep mode with no issues.

Mobile broadband driver:

Dell Wireless 5570e HSPA+ (42Mbps) Mobile Broadband Card #4
Date: 9th July 2014
Version: 14.7.1050.64

2. Waking up the device from the sleep mode does not work if you do that after the first 10 sec in sleep mode.

When I disable WiFi driver in the Device Manager, waking up works well even a few hours after the sleep mode was initiated.

WiFi Driver:

Dell Wireless 1538 802.11 a/g/n Adapter.
Date: 4th July 2014
Version: 3.7.2.59655

I don't know if these issues are hardware-based or software/driver based.

Has anyone experienced similar issues?

Regards,

Dominik

October 21st, 2014 07:00

Hello, I had the same issue and tried all possible solution (reformatting my tablet 6 times) updating drivers, windows update files, etc...nothing helped. At the end I found a similar issue for a Dell venue 11 Pro user who suggested to disable TPM and Bitlocker. As soon as I disabled bitlocker from Win8 control panel and also TPM/Bitlocker from the Bios (Secure boot - Disabled) , the tablet started to wake from sleep without any issue...it's been 1 week now and it has not failed once (it used to get black screen 3-4 times  a day before the change).

36 Posts

March 16th, 2015 12:00

I've found a workaround, disable connected standby. This is done in the registry. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> CurrentControlSet --> Control --> Power, there is a key called CsEnabled with a value of 1. Double click on the key and change the value to 0. Restart your tablet, and now you will have more power options available. The tablet should be able to survive the screen timeout, but when tapping the power button to put the tablet to sleep, it will hibernate instead. Hopefully that won't be too big of an inconvenience as it adds about 20 seconds total to the sleep/wake process, 10 seconds to fully enter sleep, and about 10 seconds to wake up with a medium hold of the power button (same as initial boot).

Now my tablet can recover successfully from a screen timeout when docked, the screen simply turns off when I close it on the mobile keyboard, and a tap of the power button does a hibernate and full shutdown. This works for me as I don't need it to be connected (like I said, no WWAN card) when it's sleeping. I want to maximize battery life, and the Venue is excellent at doing that with a few tweaks. I can go 8 hours on 70% of the battery or less while docked with the screen off and Peak Shift enabled to work from the battery (external monitor, plus I charge the tablet with off-grid solar at home). The mobile keyboard also has a battery to nearly double that.

131 Posts

October 2nd, 2014 13:00

1. Only "Shutdown" and "Restart" options are available in "Power" drop-down menu in the charm-bar. "Sleep" is not available and I can't turn off the screen by pressing Power button on the right side of tablet.

Dominik

HI Dominik,

Welcome to the forum!

You have a strange issues here.

You definitely should have "Sleep" as an option when you go to Power with the charm bar.
Also you should be able to put your tablet into Sleep mode when you press the power button on the right side of the unit.

I would call Dell on the phone and speak with a tech support person. Hopefully they will be able to diagnose your problem.

Good luck!

184 Posts

October 3rd, 2014 09:00

Hi, that the sleep option is not available is a MS / driver / device issue.

The way you explained it is that the Mobile driver / device is preventing the Venue to enter connected standby mode.

It is basically the same as if you disable connected standby in BiOS. Sleep will disappear.

I would call Dell and get it figured out.

915 Posts

October 3rd, 2014 11:00

6 Posts

October 10th, 2014 05:00

Hi Dominik,

I have very similar problems. It started about a month after purchase with irregular system crashes after a sleep period. Several log entries identified the 3G driver causing the crashing.

I also had minor issues with Wifi connection.

I reinstalled wifi and 3G drivers recently. Wifi seems ok (but connection is still less stable then on my laptop in the same area).

With the 3G driver installed I have the same issues as you describe. In addition I also see that windows lists the 3G driver 4 or 5 times in the device manger and some times the driver keeps popping on and of.

There is a thread here http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4586/t/19599505 that indicates that 3G drivers A04 and A05 have bugs.

Regards,

John

6 Posts

October 11th, 2014 06:00

There is another thread here

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4586/p/19601063/20684336#20684336 

with a similar problem on the Venue 11 pro. Apparently that problem was a faulty driver or a compatibility issue with a bios update. The problem was solved with an updated driver.

Maybe we just have to wait for similar update for the Venue 8 pro?

Meanwhile I have found a workaround; I reinstalled the chipset, wifi and 3G drivers (had to remove and install 3G driver several times before it was 'stable' with only 2 duplicate entries in device manger). Now all devices seem to work ok but sleep mode and power button are disabled. Culprit is the 3G driver that does not allow sleep mode. I only use 3G occasionally so I just disable the driver in device manger manually and then everything is back to normal.

Hopefully the crash after sleep is solved too, time will tell...

Regards,

John

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 20th, 2014 12:00

Thanks for all responses and suggestions.

I also have the described issue with multiple instances of 3G drive in the Device Manager. The 3G driver/device restarts a few times adding incremental suffixes (#1, #2, ...) until it become stable.

I've "solved" WiFi issue by installing an older driver and now the wake up issue is solved, but the Wi-Fi connection  is not as stable as on other devices.

I've contacted with local Dell Support and they told me to perform a full system recovery. If it doesn't help, I have to return the device.

Regards,

Dominik

21 Posts

October 23rd, 2014 03:00

Same thing here. I posted a thread where I describe my sleep / wake up issue before finding this one.

Chipset drivers reinstallation helps for a few seconds but then the problems reappears right away. Tech support on the phone was unluckily useless, spent more than two hours with the guys on the phone but it didn't help at all.

Please keep us up to date on how to tweak this.

Thanks

1 Message

November 4th, 2014 05:00

Same problem as posted here and on other forum sites with this thread. The work around that has worked for me, but is not a great long- term solution is this:

1) Bring up WINDOWS device manager. Expand the network adapters menu item. Select your wireless adapter and bring up the properties window.

2) navigate to the Advance tab. Select the Network Address property. In the Value field, enter an unused static address for your LAN or the DHCP address you were assigned, if you are traveling. Make sure Not Present in not checked. Click Ok.

No more dropped signals occurred.  HOWEVER :-( you have to keep changing the network address as you move from place to place as the static address value maybe off the next subnet or in conflict with another device on the next lan you engage. Sucks but works in a pinch.

Dell Venue 8 32G

Dell Wireless 1538 802.11 a/g/n Adapter

Windows 8.1

November 6th, 2014 09:00

Any solution already?

I have a Venue 8 and a Venue 11 with the same symptoms. Finally got them working again, at least as far as the wifi and standby goes, by removing and then reinstalling the wireless drivers. Don't forget to reboot after every step.

However, I can't get mobile broadband to function at all. With the latest drivers, active standby is gone. With version A03 it's unstable. I have mobile drivers A05 installed and the device disabled right now.

My E7240 with the same mobile broadband card is exhibiting the same issues. It doesn't do active standby, so no issue there, but the mobile broadband interface is unstable.

@Dell: how long until we can expect a driver version with these issues fixed? This is unacceptable.

7 Posts

November 7th, 2014 14:00

I have Dell Venue 8 Pro and have the same issue after updating the BIOS and drivers. Now this does not go into SLEEP mode. I updated 3G drivers as GPS does not work properly. But still it takes long time to get GPS location. Has anybody have this same issue with GPS? 

It seems problem is with the 3G driver. When this is disabled sleep mode works fine. Dell has to release a new version of 3G driver fast.

21 Posts

November 14th, 2014 14:00

Hello????

I am tired with this sleep issue, please give us some hints.

It's incredible how nice this device could be but this problem is really bothering.

November 17th, 2014 05:00

Today I called Dell (NL) for the fourth or fifth time about this issue.

I have three devices with the same 3G card. A Venue pro 8, 11 and a Latitude 7240. All three have the same issues. Even though the 7240 doesn't support active standby, the driver is still unstable, constantly re-initializing, usually ending up after a few minutes as "Mobile broadband #40, #50 or even #127". On the venue's, enabling the driver results in losing active standby, and the same reinitialization issues.

They told me that a new driver is expected in the first week of december. However, they weren't sure it would fix the issues.

However, this time they offered to pick up all three devices and try to sort it out and debug themselves. As the 7240 is a vital workstation and has next day on site warranty I declined that offer. I offered them to pick up just one of the tablets They accepted and will pick the Venue 11 up next friday (I need both as demonstration systems on thursday).

I have no confidence at all in them getting this to work properly. We've been waiting for 10 weeks now without working 3G on these tables. But anyway, let's try.

7 Posts

November 17th, 2014 07:00

only solution at the moment is to do a recovery. It worked for me.

go to windows recovery in settings. ''refresh windows with out affecting your files" . you will need to reinstall the other software. you can install all the updates except dell wireless 5570 wwwan mobile broadband driver. no issues with dell wireless 5810e lte broadband driver. If you are not sure of any driver make a restore point every time you install a driver.

No Events found!