Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 27th, 2016 08:00

Dell Venue 8 Pro POWER Button Malfunction........

Does anyone have any fix for this?..........

I've only had this Venue 8 Pro for a week, and I generally only use it at night while in bed before going to sleep. Until now I've always used an ipad, but I decided to give this Dell Venue a try.  From the very first day I never understood why it usually took at least 3 depressions of the power button to get it to activate, but I've just been dealing with it.  

I used my Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet briefly the previous night, then powered it down—set it aside. After sitting for a whole day, I tried to use it last night.  It would not turn on.  I tried everything!  I held the power button every which way possible, and for a variety of "seconds".  So finally I just gave up and put it on the charger overnight even though I knew it should still have plenty of battery power left.

This morning I tried to turn it on again—but nothing.  Finally a few hours later I tried again and it suddenly turned on after the 4th of 5th depression of the power button.  What the heck?!?                                                                                                                            

I cannot imagine this is normal. This tablet has been on the market for awhile now, and it was too darn expensive to still have so many bugs. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this?  Or is it best to return this Dell tablet for a refund and go back to the Apple iPad instead?  I never had these problems with the ipad. 

915 Posts

October 27th, 2016 10:00

Telephone Dell customer support, for product warranty coverage support.

Also, although it is tempting, please do not double-post your posts, as you have done here--it clutters the board, wastes others' time, and leads to confusion.  Thank you.

480 Posts

October 28th, 2016 21:00

Are you aware that you have to keep the power button depressed for a few seconds?

7 Posts

October 29th, 2016 10:00

I figured that out the very first day when it would not turn on until I depressed it 3 times for at least 3-5 seconds each depression.  It was very consistent, so that's what I always did.  But that one night I could not get it turned on no matter what I did...and the battery was not depleted/had a good charge.

October 29th, 2016 19:00

When that happens, I depress the Power and Windows (next to the USB port) keys simultaneously until the tablet reboots  It works but of course you lose any work, open programs etc.

7 Posts

October 30th, 2016 09:00

Thanks for this tip.  I will try it next time this happens.  I just don't think it should be happening at all on a brand new expensive item like this.  Dell should be providing a "fix" for this.  According to notes I've read, this has been a problem for at least a few years now.  Why haven't they addressed this?

480 Posts

October 30th, 2016 10:00

Are you sure you are not counting the seconds to fast?  Try depressing it until it comes on (if it does).  Also are you sure you are pressing it hard enough?  I'm not suggesting you press the *** out of it, but it's a tactile button, so you should be able to feel the "click".  Of course it's always possible that you got the one with the defective switch.

No Events found!