Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

December 23rd, 2016 13:00

Dell Venue 8 Pro -- Reloading Windows 10 -- inaccessible boot device

I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830 that won't boot following recent Windows 10 one-year anniversary upgrade. I get the blue screen with "inaccessible boot device." I downloaded and made a windows (32-bit) recovery stick on a USB flash drive. Win 10 begins to load. It chooses "English (US)" as language, "English (US)" as time and currency format, and "US" for keyboard/input method. I'm then asked to click "Next," but I can't because the tablet's touchscreen driver has been disabled. There's no way to click next, including using the volume buttons on the side or the button on the top right of the tablet.

If I were able to click "Next," I'd be on my way to reinstalling Win 10 and getting the tablet to work again. I was able to run the tablet's diagnostics, and it passed all of them.

2 Posts

December 23rd, 2016 14:00

You'll need to connect a usb hub and use a wired mouse or keyboard.

9 Posts

December 26th, 2016 12:00

I did that to no avail. I used a powered USB hub (not Dell's, but Anker's) and hooked up a Dell keyboard and the Windows recovery USB flash drive, 32-bit). The tablet doesn't respond so that I can continue the Win 10 install.

Separately, I also copied the Windows 10 recovery files to a mini SD drive. I tried to change the BIOS so that it would boot to the mini SD drive,but it did not recognize the SD drive.

915 Posts

December 27th, 2016 10:00

And did you connect the hub to the tablet using a USB OTG adapter/cable adapter?  Needed--a direct USB connection without the OTG tech. built into the USB OTG adapter will not work.

9 Posts

December 27th, 2016 13:00

I believe I used the right adapter, but not entirely sure. Here's the link to what I used -

www.amazon.com/.../ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

It's an Anker Ultra Slim 4-Port USB 3.0 Data Hub with 12W Power Adapter / USB Wall Charger.

16 Posts

December 27th, 2016 15:00

Or using The NTLite program to insert drivers into boot.wim and install.wim.

Using the media creation tool (microsoft website) and download the iso. Don't create a USB stick directly because you end up with a install.esd rather then a install.wim on the stick.  Be sure you download the right ISO (32bit), it contains both the pro and home version and a install.wim. Mount the ISO and copy both the boot.wim and install.wim from the ISO to another location (e.g. Documents). Use the Rufus 2.1/2.2 to burn the ISO to a 8gb stick. Rename both then install.wim and boot.wim to say install.wim-old etc.

Download first the driver package (the Z3700 drivers in cab file format) from the dell website and Unzip with 7-zip or so. Now use NTlite to insert the drivers into the boot.wim and repeat it for install.wim. Note that if you open install.wim you get two versions (home and pro). Select the right version. When you come to the point the drivers have to be selected, select the folder where you unzipped the cab file (multiple driver inf). After inserting drivers copy both .wim files back to the USB stick. Read on the net how NTLIte works.

Now you have a bootable USB stick, with windows and being able to use the touchscreen. Done it many times. I have a special USB stick with a full USB and a micro-USB connection (2 sides have a connection) so i don't need a USB on the go cable.

As I frequently export my drivers (via power Shell), I have up to date drivers which I insert into boot and install rather then starting with the z3700 driver pack.

9 Posts

December 28th, 2016 07:00

I downloaded Rufus and NTLite and will give this a shot and report back. Thank you.

915 Posts

December 28th, 2016 09:00

I believe I used the right adapter, but not entirely sure. Here's the link to what I used -

It's an Anker Ultra Slim 4-Port USB 3.0 Data Hub with 12W Power Adapter / USB Wall Charger.

Yep, that's not a USB OTG adapter, and needs to be connected to one.  An easy way to tell if a cable is a USB OTG cable/adapter: it will say USB OTG.  :emotion-5:

A sample:  

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Samusung-Android-Windows-Function/dp/B00LN3LQKQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1482944336&sr=1-3&keywords=usb+otg.

There are many out there, at low cost (including at the Dell store, but at a higher cost than needed). 

9 Posts

December 28th, 2016 09:00

I downloaded the iso file, 32 bit, for win 8.1 pro. I chose the iso file, not the file that boots from a USB stick. The win 8.1 pro iso did contain the boot.wim file, which I copied to another directory. But there isn't an install.wim file. The install files I found were install.esd, install.exe, installprep.exe, and installeventres.dll.

I also downloaded 32-bit iso files for win 8 and win 10. These did not have install.wim file as well.

Not sure how to proceed now.

9 Posts

December 28th, 2016 10:00

Also, I didn't find the Z3700 driver pack on Dell's web site. But I did find the Intel Atom Z3000 chipset driver for my Dell Venue 8 Pro (model 5830). Is that it?

915 Posts

December 29th, 2016 09:00

Here's a link to a sample USB-OTG cable/adapter (assuming Dell allows the posting--it still hasn't approved a post here I made yesterday with a link).

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Samusung-Android-Windows-Function/dp/B00LN3LQKQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1482944336&sr=1-3&keywords=usb+otg

915 Posts

Nope, that's not a USB-OTG cable/adapter--you can tell if a cable/adapter is, because it'll be called, well, a USB-OTG cable/adapter.  :emotion-5:  They're available all over, often for $5 or less (Dell sells one as well, at a higher price that's unnecessary)--a search at Amazon.com will pull many up.   

915 Posts

Note that the above do not allow power plus data at the same time, and so make sure that your tablet is charged before using them.  There are for sale separate USB OTG adapters that have both a power as well as data connection, and some which even combine that with a USB hub, such as:

https://www.amazon.com/TechIntheBox-Extension-Smartphone-Simultaneous-Transmisson/dp/B00U90AM04/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1483032577&sr=8-10&keywords=usb+otg+hub

9 Posts

December 29th, 2016 11:00

I did get the post yesterday and bought the Ugreen micro OTG. It arrives tomorrow.

915 Posts

December 30th, 2016 09:00

I did get the post yesterday and bought the Ugreen micro OTG. It arrives tomorrow.
Cool--let us know if that does the trick.

No Events found!