Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 16th, 2013 05:00

Dell Venue 8 Pro WiFi Issue

it seems either way I disable the Wi Fi by the 'switch' itself or 'Airplane' mode it is a pain to get it on and have to manually 'disable the entire WiFi and then enable it joggin the WiFi off and on til it seems to catch on I am trying to turn it back on. I am only trying to turn it off to save battery right now but is this normal? Will a fix be forth coming because i'ts a pain right now.

6 Posts

December 12th, 2013 09:00

I too am experiencing WiFi issues however I uninstalled the updates and updated all drivers/firmware.  Is anyone else experiencing disconnections every few minutes, especially when you put traffic over it?  Basically it goes no networks available and then reconnects, keep repeating over and over and the signal strength is good.

18 Posts

December 12th, 2013 12:00

The "My Server 2012 R2" app in the Windows store.

2 Posts

December 12th, 2013 13:00

Nice job Chris.  This worked for me also.  Thanks for the info.

2 Posts

See this post from Chris Tardif on previous page, is worked for me.  Wifi worked after updating kb2903939 and kb2887595.

"I solved this problem by disabling the network device in device manager.  Scanning for hardware changes reinstalled the driver and the wi-fi came back to life.  When you disable the driver do not delete the driver files. If you do that you're sunk.

Chris"

Here are the steps:

Step 1 - Go to settings, control panel, device manager.

Step 2 - open the "Network Adapters" folder then highlight "Dell Wireless 1538 802.11 a/g/n Adapter"

Step 3 - at top left click "Action" then "Disable"

Step 4 - click "Action" then "Scan for hardware changes"

Step 5 - click "Action", "Update Driver Software", "Browse my computer for driver software", "Let me pick from a list.....on my computer" then select "next"

This worked for me

1 Message

There are two known bugs affecting certain DV8P devices (e.g. not all of them).  One is a bug when the device goes to sleep, or you hit the power button - the device does not wake up without a hard reset.  There is another bug, where after certain Windows Updates (7595 and one other) wifi would not establish a connection (you get a no networks available indication).  I am not sure if these are related - but I know that both Dell and Microsoft are aware of them.  They are being addressed as we speak and fixes are being worked on.  Here is a post from the MS Answers on one of the issues (specifically the wifi issue) that should fix this problem.  Im sure they will update the post with more info as soon as a permanent fix is issued in the next day or so.  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-networking/dell-venue-pro-loses-wireless-connection-after/bc8a1426-fdb8-466d-b074-c80a06e70d76?tab=question&status=AllReplies&rtAction=1386876954382#tabs 

These issues are certainly frustrating - but should be fixed relatively quickly (I hope)

AURIR, you are a genius! I may be a semi-genius for persevering through a zillion posts and trying many suggestions before I got to your post. Thank you so much for sharing. I followed the steps you listed and it worked! Now I have to figure out how to remove the permission for automatic updates?

6 Posts

December 12th, 2013 23:00

Are you guys sure it is not due to the bios update?  I just restored my entire OS and it still continues.  I keep getting disconnections every couple minutes from two wifi networks, the third shows "limited" all the time.  I worked when I got it, and yes it did install those updates people are complaining about however to resolve it I tried the usual driver/bios update which clearly didn't work.  Now that the OS is reset, the only thing that remains is the already applied bios update.  Without WiFi this wonderful toy is useless, I'll keep struggling. 

6 Posts

December 13th, 2013 00:00

Careful of the "Dell Wireless 1538 WAPI Application"update on the driver page, it kills the wireless too.  Uninstalling it and re installing the driver does not help.  Apparently a lot you can do to improve the situation will make it worse.  For those with wifi issues, try to run your network without encryption to test.  I was using WPA2, tried WPA, then went open and voila it worked, well until I tried to install that WAPI.

December 13th, 2013 03:00

Are you guys sure it is not due to the bios update?  I just restored my entire OS and it still continues.  I keep getting disconnections every couple minutes from two wifi networks, the third shows "limited" all the time.  I worked when I got it, and yes it did install those updates people are complaining about however to resolve it I tried the usual driver/bios update which clearly didn't work.  Now that the OS is reset, the only thing that remains is the already applied bios update.  Without WiFi this wonderful toy is useless, I'll keep struggling.

The problem you're describing sounds different than the WiFi issue most other people are experiencing.  Uninstalling the two KB updates or installing the My Server app works when the WiFi can't find any networks.  The WiFi works fine for me after those fixes, I'm not sure what's going on with yours.  Have you tried the previouslly mentioned step of disabling the WiFi card and scanning for new hardware? 

6 Posts

December 13th, 2013 07:00

Yes I did follow the steps.  I might have a lemon, my tablet no longer sees the wireless network adapter.  A full OS restore does not bring it back nor does it ask me to connect to a network during the initial setup.  Damn.

27 Posts

December 13th, 2013 08:00

I returned two 64GB tablets to Costco after they were essentially bricked trying to solve the WIFI issue.  A full OS restore no longer brought back WIFI preventing completion of the startup process.  I still have a 32GB that is solid from day one, and a 64GB with selected Windows updates that sporadically connects to WIFI using WPA (but not WPA2) security and loses connection after sleep mode.  For now I'm done bricking these things and am waiting out the WIFI storm for a software fix.  I ordered a stylus from Dell on 11-27 and the original 12-10 estimated delivery date has just been updated to 12-18.  Hopefully they're fixing the stylus issues before they ship mine.

4 Posts

December 13th, 2013 12:00

Hello All

Checked on the MSFT Forum and experienced the following

1) Uninstalled both said Updates

2) Rebooted

3) Ran Windows Update

4) Updated (on wednesday there were 2 updates, those 2 I uninstalled, yesterday I installed 5 more updates (plus the 2 hidden) and I no longer have WIFI problems

I did not have the need to install My Server 2012 R2 app... However, I'm currently running on Windows 8.1 Pro! (Upgraded with a Key

4 Posts

December 13th, 2013 13:00

Microsoft steps & fix did not work.I have Installed KB 2883200 and My Server 2012 R2 app and uninstalled KB2887595 & KB2903939 to currently is working.

6 Posts

December 14th, 2013 00:00

Well I found a way to revive the wireless.  It kept on disconnecting and finally died, I couldn't get it back until I plugged in an external usb wireless card.  Now it shows me two wireless networks.  Really wish I could tell whether it is a software issue or hardware.  I even used Windows to go and boot windows 8 pro from an external USB drive and it too had a dead wireless adapter. 

No Events found!