Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 20th, 2013 21:00

Dell venue 11 pro slim keyboard F# keys

It seems that the slim keyboard's function keys are prioritized over the F# keys (e.g. F1, F2, etc). So, for instance, if I press the F1 key, it will toggle volume on/off instead of popping up 'help' menu in programs. In order to trigger the F1 function in programs (e.g. to get help menu open), I have to press Fn button and F1 key at the same time. And this type of behaviour applies to all  F# keys. Is there a way to reverse it so the F# keys work when they are pressed, and the "function" keys require pressing Fn key?

I'm on 7130 I3 dell venue 11 pro with slim (non-battery) keyboard.

May 21st, 2015 20:00

Also, can you ask them to make sure this fix works for "Dell Tablet Keyboard - Mobile" and not just the slim keyboard?

Thanks,

Brian

May 21st, 2015 20:00

Is there a way to get updated when this is out?  I'm holding off on replacing my 5000 with a 7000 pro based on this

58 Posts

June 19th, 2015 08:00

Hi Dell/Brian...

After more than a year...

Did the BIOS guys find time to look at this issue...?
Better: Maybe it would be time to start fixing issues btw :(

1 Message

June 23rd, 2015 11:00

+1

It's really a shame that the dell venue 11 pro is promoted as a businesss device... and then you have to deal with such anoying issues.. 

@Brain / Dell: Please let me know when the Bios Update will be ready!

btw this issue is not resolved and there s only a workaround avalaible!

1 Message

August 28th, 2015 16:00

Hmmmm. So I bought a Venue 11 Pro, and found the problem of the F keys. Found this thread, read it all, and found BIOS A16............ Problem still not solved, and I bought this as a test bed for a corporate solution that uses extensive F key input. This is the first device I've come across where this behaviour is not user configurable. Bad move, and even more so for Dell to not have responded when there is still a clear demand for F-Keys as default behaviour. Don't know what your BIOS team do, but listening to customers hasn't been high on their list of priorities!

3 Posts

August 29th, 2015 10:00

These are (mostly) good little machines. But all the little unfixed quirks, like the f-keys, are what keep me from recommending then. The screen freezing (easily worked around, but the user should not have to comb Google to fix something that should just work) The mouse on the touchpad constantly needing reconnected. The batteries in the keyboard not charging when the laptop is asleep. The list goes on.

October 27th, 2015 17:00

This is absolutely ridiculous. It has near 2 years and there is still no response from Dell.

I work for IT (network admin) and this tablet looked very promising for our pilot program for our employees. But not being able to utilize the function keys unless you use acrobatic feats with your fingers, it is nearly impossible. 8

This is not a professional. This is NOT a business tablet. I don't want our employees playing music or sharing information. We need to work.

These kinds of details are very important for corporate consumers and it is such a shame that Dell does not pay attention. While Dell sporadically responds, no improvement is yet to avail.

What a shame.

4 Posts

October 28th, 2015 14:00

One can safely assume Dell wrote this product off as not worth any further significant development and support efforts. And silence means agreement, too.

15 Posts

October 28th, 2015 14:00

I agree.  Mine is in the worthless/recycle pile.

109 Posts

October 28th, 2015 15:00

Sometimes people need to dwell deeply into their mindset.

I would certainly recommend this TABLET but not before BIOS A13 or whichever fixed Power/Battery switching.

But I would never recommend the "Slim Keyboard" simple because it can't be used in your hands or your lap. Since it can only be used on a hard flat surface like a desk I would recommend the Dell Docking Station and the users choice of wireless Keyboard and Mouse.with USB dongle.

3 Posts

October 28th, 2015 15:00

Don't toss it. Sell it to me. My kid doesn't care about f-keys.

1 Message

January 15th, 2018 23:00

So Brian, it's been over 2 years!!! Did your IT people come up with anything yet? 

Without the FN key out of the way, using this tablet is a majorly frustrating experience!!!

1 Message

October 21st, 2020 07:00

If you are looking for an updated version with a improvement you found it:

https://github.com/lucaslealdev/timebend-venuefix

With this one you can still use the dedicated side volume buttons.

No Events found!