Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 13th, 2013 04:00

Latitude 10 - How do you remove the battery

I'm new to this community and using a tablet. My Latitude 10 arrived last week, along with my two spare batteries. (I holiday where there's no power.) But I can't remove the existing battery. The switch moves halfway and the battery doesn't budge.

Any ideas what I should do?

6 Posts

June 12th, 2013 04:00

Sorted! I emailed support and they gave me the best phone number to call. After talking to three different people (If you ever have to ring, make sure you've got your service tag number in front of you and you know the phonetic alphabet. Repeating that saves you from having to repeat everything else over and over again.)

Anyway, after finally making contact with the correct department, there was no issue and I was informed that a technician would be out to repair my tablet. The following day the technician rang, made an appointment, and confirmed my address. The next day (today), he was here (he came from a town 1.5 hours away from mine) and the latch was replaced in under half an hour.

Now this is the bit that anyone else with a sticky Latitude 10 battery latch will need to know. Between us, the technician and I worked out that the best way to release the battery was to push it as far as it would go with one thumb, and then get the other thumb into the gap created. From there it's "relatively" easy to slide the catch back and out will pop the battery.

In other words, don't use tools to try to move the latch.

Okay, so it's a two-handed job, and it's not convenient, but at least I know there's no chance that I'm going to lose and/or damage my battery in transit AND that I can change my battery when I need to.

Thank you, Dell.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

May 13th, 2013 05:00

Hi Purupuss,

Please try moving the latch completely. Please follow the steps mentioned below and picture to remove and replace the battery on Dell Latitude 10.

1. Removing Battery - Slide the battery release latch to the unlock position. Lift up the battery in an outward direction and remove it from the computer.
  2. Replacing Battery - Slide the battery into its slot until it clicks into place.

Please let me know if this helps. 

6 Posts

May 13th, 2013 14:00

I would slide it to the unlock position if I could, but it only moves halfway and jams. Is this a fault, or should I keep trying until it loosens?

39 Posts

May 13th, 2013 18:00

It unfortunately takes a lot of force to move the slider. I sometimes have to use another object to slide mine. They made the release too hard for sure.

6 Posts

May 16th, 2013 04:00

DaxW is right that you need a tool to slide the slider. I had to use a flat head screwdriver (and prayed that I didn't scratch my new toy). I'm hoping that in time the slider will loosen up so that I won't have to permanently carry a took kit about with me.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

6 Posts

June 6th, 2013 03:00

Well, that didn't work. Or at least it did on Friday when I used a screwdriver to easily swap batteries over. Monday I used the same screwdriver to swap them back and the latch wouldn't move. No matter how hard I tried it wouldn't budge. That was until one of the tags that held it in place snapped off and now there's no latch to move and I've got no way of swapping batteries.

What's the best way of contacting support?

1 Message

June 14th, 2013 20:00

I moved the latch and stuck my nail under the battery and gave it a little lift.  That's how I got mine out.  Based on so many different people posting here, I'm guessing this is common.

November 19th, 2013 09:00

I just received two Latitude 10's and I am not able to remove the batteries from either of them - I tried all the approaches described here. Would really appreciate advice on the correct number to call Dell service. I want to install a SIM card.

Many thanks

6 Posts

November 19th, 2013 23:00

The only thing I can add to what I said above, about having to use the thumbs of both hands to move the latch to remove the battery, is that it does get easier in time. I hope you get some support from Dell.

November 20th, 2013 00:00

Thanks - finally after much jiggling of the latch I managed to get my thumbnail behind the battery and ease the battery out. To my surprise I found there was already an O2 sim card inserted.

No Events found!