Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2013 20:00

No Multi-user profile on Venue 8???

I just received my Venue 8 tablet.  It comes with Android 4.2.2 but does not have the multi-user option.  I've seen other tablets allow this.  Anyone know how I can get this feature to work?

6 Posts

November 20th, 2013 11:00

This is incredibly disappointing.  I just received my Venue 8 and multiuser was one of the first features I looked to enable.  Why is this not available?  I was lead to believe that all tablets running Android 4.2 and up have this feature.  

I will be returning this tablet if I don't have a valid response from Dell soon.

3 Posts

November 20th, 2013 20:00

I agree.  I chatted with tech support and they first said Androids don't come with this option.  I let them know that there are other 4.2 tablets with this feature.  Then he admitted that this Dell tablet doesn't have the feature.  When I called to get info about returning the tablet I somehow got forwarded to tech phone support.  They told me to go to Settings>add Accounts to set up the user profile.  The india tech support clearly does not know what they are talking about as they don't understand what feature I'm really talking about.  I'm returning the product.

6 Posts

November 21st, 2013 12:00

That's ... disappointing.  

If anyone from Dell is actually reading these forums, this is the feature we are missing: http://blog.laptopmag.com/android-tablet-user-profiles-parental-controls

3 Posts

November 21st, 2013 12:00

Norbit... FWIW, I just called to get my return shipping labels from Dell.  Customer service offered a $25 credit for the inconvenience of not being satisfied with the purchase.  I declined so they offered $50 credit if I would keep it.  This tablet is shared with a toddler so I really need the multi-user function so I declined.  However, if you don't absolutely need this functionality as badly as I do, you may want to consider this credit instead of returning it.  

Anyhow, I'm returning mine today.  Best of luck to you!

6 Posts

November 22nd, 2013 09:00

I'm not dealing with toddlers, just co-workers, so it's likely not worth returning.  But I'm interested in the $50 credit.  Will follow up on that.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

November 22nd, 2013 14:00

Dell engineering has requested that I step in here.  They are aware of this thread and are currently investigating.  I will post here again as soon as I have more information from them.

TB

November 22nd, 2013 22:00

I am also interested in using this feature when I get this tablet in a week or two.

Just for reference about the feature available in Android 4.2 we are talking about, here is a website showing the feature added in 4.2.

Basically, it should look like this:

But another Dell Venue 8 user at Android Central Forums reports that "Users" option is missing:

I hope this issue gets resolved speedily.

6 Posts

November 23rd, 2013 14:00

Greatly appreciated, TB.  I hope an update is able to resolve this issue.

6 Posts

November 26th, 2013 07:00

Is there any chance we will hear something back regarding a commitment to adding this functionality before the Black Friday specials?  This will be a major factor in determining whether I purchase any more of these tablets for my employees.

5 Posts

November 27th, 2013 13:00

I'm glad I found this thread. I was just about to purchase the Dell Venue 8 Android version, but wanted to first confirm that it had multi-user accounts enabled within the Android OS, since this is my biggest disappointment with my Samsung tablet. I'm not able to share it with my family and the only way to log out of gmail is to completely delete my account within the tablet. Ridiculous. I will not be buying this Dell Venue tablet until they enable this built-in feature in Jelly Bean 4.2.2. Thanks for the heads up! You saved us a lot of aggravation.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

November 27th, 2013 13:00

I don't have any type of ETA but I have spoke to engineering and a possible solution may be forthcoming shortly.  I will post here again once I have more concrete information.

For those of you here in the states, Happy Thanksgiving.

TB

5 Posts

November 27th, 2013 14:00

Thank you Terry for the update. However, I will wait until this is implemented to purchase it, assuming that I don't purchase the Nexus 7 by then, which already has multi-user accounts enabled. I'm a computer engineer myself, and I know how this process works. Engineering will state that a workaround is in the works with no ETA, hoping that people will buy it anyways with the expectation that it  will be implemented "eventually", when in fact engineering is just hoping that it will go away after the Holiday sales goals are met, and it never gets implemented.

I hope Dell engineers follow through with this expectation. I think you have a really good product here, with tremendous potential, at a great price point. 

Please keep us informed with any updates. Thanks again.

November 30th, 2013 19:00

I will probably start a separate thread about this, but have you all noticed photo sphere is also missing from the camera?

December 2nd, 2013 11:00

I also ordered the Venue 7 knowing that Android's main Jelly Bean 4.2 website even boasts, as its first listed item: "One tablet, many users."

That's Android's main site!  This is very disappointing.  Dell has: a) excluded a foundation feature from the software, and b) has not proffered a solution to this thread which began two and a half weeks ago.  Dell even committed to solving this problem (which shouldn't have existed in the first place).  More than enough time has passed.

This serves as notice that I will be returning my tablet if a reply is not received within seven (7) business days from this date.  Thank you.

Reference: http://www.android.com/versions/jelly-bean-4-2/

7 Posts

December 4th, 2013 07:00

Here's my concern about this issue: I'm fearing this is a marketing decision intended to help distinguish the Venue 8 Pro.

That is, perhaps the marketing department decided consumers who want fancy features like user accounts should be buying the higher-end model.

If you need this feature in an entry-level tablet, I suggest taking a look at the ASUS MeMo Pad HD, though it also has its own limitations, like a smudge-prone screen and lack of an ambient light sensor for automatic screen brightness control.

No Events found!