Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 19th, 2014 17:00

Reset Dell Venue Pro 8.1 Tablet to Factory Setting

Hello,

I have been trying to reset my Dell Venue Pro 8.1 back to factory setting but when I try it says "some files are missing. Your Windows installation or recovery media will provide these files". How do I reset my tablet and how do I get these missing files? Windows was per-install so I don't have a product key or media. I will be selling my Dell for a larger one so I need to wipe everything clean.

Thank you in advance for your help.

15 Posts

May 24th, 2014 19:00

Bumping back to the top.

2.4K Posts

May 26th, 2014 18:00

this may be referring to missing system files which can be replaced by going to the Admin Command Prompt and entering this command: sfc /scannow (note space after sfc) this could indicate a virus so do a thorough scan if necessary

15 Posts

May 27th, 2014 20:00

Thank you. I was able to do the scan but after the scan it said Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. So I was still unable to reset my tablet. So what now?

2.4K Posts

May 28th, 2014 08:00

This may help:

1. Set a restore point (if you can).

2. Run this command from Command Prompt (Admin):

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth ("and wait for this command to complete").

3. Re-Run the sfc command.

15 Posts

May 28th, 2014 12:00

Thanks MAXD I will go and try this now and I will come back when I'm finish.

15 Posts

May 28th, 2014 13:00

Ok I'm back. This is what happen. First I set a restore point I think:emotion-2: Then I ran the cleanup-image/restorehealth and this is what it said "The restore operation completed successfully. The component store corruption was repaired. Then I did the sfc scan again and after the scan it said " Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations". After that I went to pc setting and tried to restore the tablet back to factory setting and I got the same message " some files are missing. need windows installation or media. I'm at my wit ends on trying to restore this tablet. Any other ideas?

Thanks so much for all of your help. I really do appreciate it.

2.4K Posts

May 28th, 2014 17:00

Haven't really helped you but I'm trying. What its actually looking for, i find out, is the installation files. You may have to download them and copy to a flash drive from this linK:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Can't believe the smarter chaps here haven't posted the solution to this; have you checked the site thoroughly ? If anyone knows please jump in. In any case I'm still looking for a precise instruction set for you to work from. I'm not even sure this is doable; may need to return to dell for a fix and then go from there. I'm assuming you attempted a refresh as well and got the same 'missing files' error.

Will review more tomorrow if no one comes up with a solution; have you asked a Dell rep to comment on this ?

15 Posts

May 28th, 2014 21:00

Thanks for responding, I will try this tomorrow. I have search here on the site and someone said to try and turn table off and on and this would do the trick but when I did it it kept saying that the computer haven't been shut off correctly. I have not contacted a Dell rep yet because I had to send my tablet to them in Jan of this year and they did fix whatever the problem was so I didn't want to send it to them again. . My tablet is only 5 months old.

2.4K Posts

May 30th, 2014 10:00

Tip: Make a System Restore point before all major changes; if possible make a system image to an external drive (flash or external HDD).

Apparently this usually happens when a system was upgraded to Windows 8; wondering if the (major) Update 1 to 8.1 caused this problem by moving the location of install file or other change. If so I would first set a restore point and then either try to uninstall Update 1 (if possible) Or use Restore to roll system back to pre-Update 1. This is not without its own risks.

To uninstall Update 1: http://pureinfotech.com/2014/04/16/uninstall-windows-81-update/

Couple of tips:

From what I've gleaned you need to be using a MS, not Local, Admin account, possibly be online AND encryption-whether its on, off or paused may play a role. (Is anything sticking ?- LOL).

Did you make a new (MS) Administrator account and try using that account? Try it.

Berserk fixed his problem but systems are not identical, ie RT, so can't use it verbatim:

http://commweb-ps3.us.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4586/t/19494490.aspx

These two site pages appear to agree to the (similar to Berserk) solution; somewhat Advanced and difficult for me to walk you though it:

http://www.tecflap.com/2012/05/07/reset-windows-8-dvd/

http://pureinfotech.com/2013/01/28/fix-insert-media-some-files-are-missing-windows-8/

15 Posts

May 31st, 2014 19:00

Thanks but I finally call Dell Support and they are sending me a Dell OS Recovery and Restore USB Key.

2.4K Posts

June 1st, 2014 11:00

that was good of them; wish you well on your next purchas

1 Message

March 17th, 2015 22:00

System restore to a earlier date worked for me.

1 Message

January 9th, 2016 18:00

Hi. I tried using the Command Prompt, but I can't type anything on it.

No Events found!